Input from experienced members requested re: wifi/mifi vs hotspot.

I've been evaluating wifi access. My budget is limited and we're dealing with some issues health-wise that make it even more "interesting". I've spent hours trying to figure out if a jetpack/mifi is better to use for internet access than a cell phone that's sharing it's bandwidth as a 'hotspot'. I've gotten different replies from different people working for different internet providers, all based on how much money they want to get out of me. I figured it would be better to get solid answers from people who've actually experienced this mifi/hotspot comparison who actually AREN'T trying to sell me stuff, so I popped in here. Situation: 4 people, 2 different RVs, 1 person may need their cell phone at times to work. Does hotspot interfere with phone usage (it's NOT a new phone, no extra $1000, just an iphone 7). Also may need to access remote systems for their work, which I guess is bandwidth-intensive. We're looking at Verizon and trying to decide if 4 cell phones @ unlimited with hotspot is better than 4 cell phones and 2 of the new jetpack replacements. To everyone who replies, thank you very much in advance for helping. We really have to decide the best solution factoring in that price is very very important. Kind of a 'last hurrah' for one of us, and I don't want to use money that my wife may need in a few months. 

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!

I have had Mifis and used the hotspot feature on cell phones. All were with Verizon and were subject to the hotspot data limit before throttling back to a speed that is pretty worthless for other than checking email. If the Mifi had an external antenna port, then the Mifi with antenna attached would do better in areas with a weak cell signal. The last Mifi I had, 8800L, was often slower than the phone or tablet. My phone does work when in hotspot mode. One of the disadvantages to the Mifi, in my opinion, is that there is no capability to use on device data. With the phone or tablet the device can still be used to stream video even if the hotspot limit has been reached. Depending on the phone or tablet, it may be possible to view the streamed website on a TV by mirror casting or using an HDMI cable and not use hotspot data. I believe most iphones can use an HDMI cable to connect to a TV.

I rarely use either a Mifi or phone as a hotspot. I tether the Mifi or phone to a router and connect the computers to the router by ethernet cable. In my experience this gives the highest speed internet connect possible with the equipment in use.

It seems that several folks on the forum are using the "Visible" phones as hotspots. Hopefully one of them will come along and share their experience.

t

Edited by trailertraveler

Interesting. I was a fulltimer for years pre Covid. Now that we live in a "real" house I find out that I have been accustomed to my Jetpack instead of using a landline for internet. We now have 2 Jetpacks, one for laptop at home and away in our RV at times. The other I use for my Ring Security. 

We also have 2 phones. The other day the one Jetpack was acting flakey, saying "NO SIM CARD" so I used the laptop on my cellphone. It worked but seemed to run slower. I talked to the local sales outlet where we bought the Jetpack and they said to reset the Jetpack (a little button under the battery that I never knew existed). I had to reset the Jetpack again this morning using the reset button. This is getting to be a real PITA.

I'll be following this thread...........

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

We've always used the hotspot on our phone to connect to the Internet (we're with Verizon).  Verizon's newest plan, Get More Unlimited, offers 50GB per month of data and 30GB of hotspot use (per device).  So, for 4 devices, you'd get 120GB of hotspot use.  Unlike many MVNOs that "share" data limits between devices and between phone/hotspot usage, Verizon's (and, I assume, AT&T and T-Mobile) data limits and hotspot limits are separate and per device.  In other words, if an MVNO offers, say, 30GB of data per month, that 30GB would be shared among all devices and hotspot usage.  With Verizon's Get More Unlimited plan, the 50GB data and 30GB hotspot is per device...no sharing.

You might check into Verizon-owned Visible which is truly unlimited.  It's $40 per month per device or $25 per month per device if you join a Party Pay group.  The only catch is that each device needs its own account with a separate email address for each.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ (Technomadia) for all answers. It is where we go to find this kind of information.  

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/mifijetpack-usb-modem-or-smartphone-hotspotting/ talks about mifi's versus hotspotting a phone.

Here is their guide to the best data plans available now - https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/top-cellular-data-plans-for-rvers-cruisers-verizon-att-t-mobile-and-sprint/ (this guide changes as the plans change, but most plans can be grandfathered if no longer available by just paying the bill)

Visible is owned by Verizon and uses a phone hotspot.  There are topics here on using Visible with a cheap travel router to get around the one device limit on the hotspot.   If we did not already have a grandfathered unlimited Verizon plan we would have a Visible phone or two.

AT&T (and Cricket) have $55 for 100GB mobile internet plans, while T-Mobile has a $60 5G for 100GB mobile internet plan.  FMCA has a $50 for unlimited Sprint plan and the  non-profit Calyx Institute has their various unlimited plans on Sprint/T-Mobile from $500 to $750, which is what we use.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Sounds like you are looking for a personal experience from an experienced member/s and there are more than a few on here such as RV Derek.  Also Mr. Wizard on the Good Sam RV technology forum has been very friendly and helpful to me over the years. He is the best of the best and I do love GS RV.NET.

I have great success with the AT&T Mobley cellular Hotspot at a cheap rate however they discontinued offering this some time ago but there are other carriers such as Version that offer similar type hotspots with great signal reception for RV road travel/camping. 

I can also access open wifi internet access points at public and private locations such as campgrounds, hotels, restaurants with my cell phone and laptop. May need a passcode to log on for the connection.  Good luck and happy trails.

Retired Acct & SEC CFP, former legislative aide and pilot to two Texas Governors.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

0NR1pXZm.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70