A really poor choice of roads!

Kirk W

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

The man drove that rig up there and you think he was smart enough to realize he could unload his car and drive it down?

He stated he wanted the car attached thinking it would stabilize the motorhome.

We've driven that road doing geocaches.  It's narrow right at the beginning and he went farther?  He was from Colorado so he should know about the state's back roads and check it out first.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

13 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

He stated he wanted the car attached thinking it would stabilize the motorhome.

We've driven that road doing geocaches.  It's narrow right at the beginning and he went farther?  He was from Colorado so he should know about the state's back roads and check it out first.

"stabilize" if he was worried about that, why was he even staying in it. should have packed a bag with food and water, and hiked out.

2 hours ago, packnrat said:

"stabilize" if he was worried about that, why was he even staying in it. should have packed a bag with food and water, and hiked out.

He didn't stay inside. He slept outside.  Here's a more detailed article:

https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/rv-is-free-after-spending-a-week-stuck-on-lime-creek-road/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

45 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

TX Gov as a spotter

You lost me there.

We planned to go down the Lime Creek rd in our truck, but it was closed for some reason, maybe a rockfall. We were exploring some of the more moderate alpine roads after doing Cinnamon Pass from Lake City to Silverton.

But this guy, maybe has learned the backcountry driving rule number one. Check out the road before taking your RV down it. And if you start down a road that looks like trouble, back out before you go too far. But looking at those photos I think there was zero chance that the rig was going over the slope and I would have taken the toad back. Or walked 5 1/2 miles, a two hour walk.

I was wondering why no one came across him tho, but the road being blocked a half mile ahead accounts for that. They do have a phone number you can call to check these roads. This guy did zero preparation.

Old Lime Creek Rd

The difference between intelligence and stupidity:

Intelligence has a limit!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

That's a good one RV.  The poor dumb guy or gal may have been desperate to find a remote spot away from the heathens and maddening crowd.  An S-64  Skycrane would have been most useful to him or her.  3 cheers  a burp and a              .

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1732362730399238&type=3

dMFbcbzm.jpg

You guys should know by now

Edited by NamMedevac 70

I made a poor choice of roads last Friday. I live in Indiana so I should know the state highways right? Wrong; I was driving our MH towing my pickup N on I 65, missied my exit to US 60 so took the next exit - IN 160. Stopped and checked phone's satellite view to make sure It was suitable and it looked OK in spite of the sign saying no thru trucks.

Well, the actual state highway is nothing like it appears on the map, , 8' wide lanes, no shoulders, more turns than I ever imagined.

By the time I reached the West end of the highway my shoulders hurt and I was worn-out from driving 20-35 MPH for 40 miles of a highway that followed a creek through a deep narrow hollow. No place to turn around so I resigned myself to drive all the way to Salem and pick-up US 60..

That was our first outing since July '20.

At least I had nowhere to fall off the road, the road was the lowest point except the creekbed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 10:46 AM, Jinx & Wayne said:

To quote Ron White, “You can’t fix stupid.”

Wayne & Jinx

I have a t-shirt that says:  "I'm a grumpy old man.  I can fix stupid, but it's gonna hurt."

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net