What happened to the old guy here with the crumpled hat that gave lots of advice for Tech Tips?

2 hours ago, slackercruster said:

He was what Kirk W was back then. 

His name is Stanley Miller and he was one of the moderators along with LindaH and I as well as one other. Stanley has left the road and sold his RV. He is living in the Phoenix area. 

As long as we are going back does anyone remember a guy  named  Phred or Tinseth or something like that. I don't know that he was ever a moderator but an early skp'r that did a lot and helped a lot of people in Escapees.

As for Stan, I might not even be on the forum without him. Under the old skp system I gave him a password to the account I had then for 2 weeks to help me.  He called me out behind the scenes a couple of time as I was so dumb I didn't know what "flaming" was.  Appropriately the pass word was related to Area 51. He also related his experience in not buying enough truck from the first and trying to modify what he had to make it acceptable.  I thought it should be required reading before  a new RV'r went out to buy a truck or trailer.

Posted (edited)

Stan is him!

He was very helpful. Glad he is still alive, although sorry to hear about his health. You could always depend on him for answers. Very knowledgeable.

I hope I thanked him enough when he was around. Hard to thank everyone in a long thread, especially if you are not an everyday user of the forum. I post a topic, then come back periodically to see what the score is after it has grown some.

Edited by slackercruster

• 1 month later...

Stan was the O/O of a newpaper, can't remember its name. The thing I most remember about Stan was a story he told here. (this is how I remember it) One time their RV broke down and they spent the night in the repair shops parking lot awaiting work the next morning. They had gone out for dinner and upon returning surprised a burglar leaving the MH, and the burglar shot Stan with his own pistol after Stan confronted him. Stan had left his pistol inside the MH while they left for dinner. Kirk if I got any of that wrong please correct me.

Here is a different website for Fred's poop sheets. I learned a lot reading posts here on escapees.com. Fred and Stan were two of many great advisors and guidance counselors here.

Edited by Ray,IN

30 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Stan was the O/O of a newpaper, can't remember its name.

Wrong person for both the newspaper and the story. The author you remember is Nick Russell and the paper was the Gypsy Journal. He used to travel in an old MCI bus conversion and he was a regular at Escapades. His wife is named Terry. They also used to hold an RV rally. They dropped their Escapees membership a few years ago. While I don't know much about Nick in the past few years and haven't seen him, the Gypsy Journal is still published online.

Nick Russell is alive and kicking from his Florida home. He's the NY Times best selling author of the "Big Lake" book series, the "John Lee Quarrels" book series, and the newly begun "Tinder Street" historical fiction series, along with a number of RV related and other books. All good reads in my opinion. The Gypsy Journal is no longer published, and the site Kirk linked to is now home to Nick's daily blog.

I remember Jack Myer was pretty active and I believe he still post here once in a blue moon. He is still quoted about stuff and particularly solar.

I did not know about Nick's books. I hope I can run across one somewhere.

I don't remember Nick getting shot. What I remember is the guy sticking his hand though the door with Nick's gun in it. Nick promptly slammed the door on the guy's hand multiple times causing the guy to drop the gun. They later caught the guy when he showed up wanting medical care for his broken hand.

Nick's books are available on Amazon and they are very well written. I can't wait to see what happens next in Big Lake.

Linda

As long as we're telling stories, I'm pretty sure this one was told by Stanley Miller.

He was in Pahrump, NV staying at an RV park (not the SKP park).  He could see a storm coming in across the valley, so put his awning up and stowed the stuff laying around outside.  Then he and some others went around to the other RVs and warned them of the coming storm and advised/helped others put their awnings up and stow outside gear. 

One person had his awning tied down with several cinder blocks and refused to put his awning up thinking it would be okay.  Well, the high winds from the storm picked up those cinder blocks and blew them and the awning over the top of the RV and they smashed into the other side of the rig leaving several holes!

9 hours ago, bigjim said:

I remember Jack Myer was pretty active and I believe he still post here once in a blue moon. He is still quoted about stuff and particularly solar.

I did not know about Nick's books. I hope I can run across one somewhere.

Amazon carries all of Nick's books, most in both Kindle and print format. And many are included with Prime...

Serious memory test for me but I believe you are correct about Stan telling that story. I am wondering if he mentioned if anyone else's rig got damaged.  I was in a park a few years back and the people next door lived there full time. They had a pretty substantial glider type swing and anchored pretty well. Guess who's trailer got slammed into when it took flight. Luckily it did not break any windows but left some substantial dents in my trailer. Same park I helped mitigate the damage to another rig next to me when the awning he left out while he went on a week long hunting trip came loose.

Ray,

Nick was not shot but should have had he not done what he had done. Yes the thief had his gun first Nick got it back and avoided the temptation to use it as the thief ran away.

22 hours ago, bigjim said:

I remember Jack Myer was pretty active and I believe he still post here once in a blue moon.

I have not seen a post by Jack Mayer in a long time but his website is still up, although it was last updated 12/24/2016. He is currently in business building custom heavy trucks for the RV lifestyle in Dennis, KS. His business website is RVH Lifestyles.

13 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I have not seen a post by Jack Mayer in a long time but his website is still up, although it was last updated 12/24/2016. He is currently in business building custom heavy trucks for the RV lifestyle in Dennis, KS. His business website is RVH Lifestyles.

Jack is listed on the site contact page, and the "About Us" page displays their 2021 vehicle converter and new/used dealer licenses.

18 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Amazon carries all of Nick's books, most in both Kindle and print format. And many are included with Prime...

What an I missing here? I didn't see any included with Prime.. But that would be nice! Jay

Here are his books on Amazon. For those who think you need an Internet connection to read them, in fact you just download some when you do have a connection and they take almost no time to download. I download books in under 30 seconds. Then they are stored on the device.

I also have the Windows app for Kindle as well as the Kindle app for my android phones.

I do have a dedicated Fire HD 8+ latest model:  https://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-8-Plus-tablet/dp/B0839NDRB2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=fire+8+tablets&qid=1626911685&sr=8-3

It replaces my 2014 Fire HDX 8.3" which I still have. I use it for both streaming music from the 128GB Micro SD card in the Fire or my Android phone with the same 128GB micro card, to the Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker. This is not the newest Micro but the last gen, still the gold standard for me:

Soundlink mini pic

I read kindle books on the fire tablet while the music is playing, in the master bath throne and just listen to the music while showering. That little beast sounds like a full size stereo the bass is so full and tight. I also have the original Mini in the basement next to my recumbent stationary bike and total gym. I use a Surface Pro tablet to watch workout videos, read, and/or listen to music while I do my thing.

The nice thing is even if I haven't used a device for reading in a while, when I do and download a book I am reading it offers me which page I was last on and on which device and asks if I want to go there.

I pay extra for Kindle Unlimited, which costs $9.99 a month the average price of a paperback today at the Base Exchange which for bestsellers is from ~$7 to a Stephen King book I just looked up

"If It Bleeds"
List Price: $18.00
$13.50 at the BX

Here is Nick's page with his books just click the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Nick-Russell/e/B00520F10M%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

To read them you just need a tablet. I have no Idea if they have the Kindle App for Macs/iPads iPhones but I imagine they do. The Fire tablet is on my nightstand for reading in bed but also has Netflix, Prime video and Sling TV for 24 hour news on the Fire which is much faster and has a better screen than the previous Fire tablets and it charges wirelessly or with USB C connectors.

I don't go out in sunlight to read just in the bathroom and bed, so a kindle that pretty much only does that and costs the same is not needed by me. I prefer the color and video capabilities and there is no more bang for the buck Android tablet. My Surface tablets are full Windows 10/11 computers. Running the same OS and Apps as my desktops. iPads and most Android can't run the same programs as Macs or Windows, only scaled down versions of Microsoft and Apple Mac Full computer programs. Microsoft brought their Surface tablets to market with the same processors and chipsets in reduced size to the Surface tablets making them the most ultra ultra books. I know we have reduced size/capability Apps for iOS, Android and Amazon's version of Android. Surface devices can run both the full programs and the Apps.

Apple is going the other way and doing Macbooks with iPad architecture and they announced that perhaps all their computers will use their own chipsets again. They may be faster than the Macs are now.

If you like good books read Nick's. You can get them in new and used paperbacks too!

All Nick's books and bio on Amazon

Nicks books in Paperback new from Barnes and Noble:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/big-lake-nick-russell/1108816516

Nick Russel books used on eBay:

Used books By Nick on eBay

So you don't need an Amazon membership or Internet to read some great books by Nick Russell.

Edited for spelling typos and added about the new Apple chips that are said to be blazingly faster that Intel chipsets.

Edited by RV_

My wife and are both prolific readers, and as fulltimers we find ebooks are a much more efficient way to have many books at hand to choose from. Kindle Unlimited more than pays for itself in the entertainment and knowledge we get from it each month. Our personal preference is the "Moon+ Pro" reader on our Android devices, so I convert the Kindle formatted ebooks to standard EPUB or MOBI formats with the free cross platform Calibre ebook library manager.

5 hours ago, RV_ said:

To read them you just need a tablet. I have no Idea if they have the Kindle App for Macs/iPads iPhones but I imagine they do.

I read Nick's Kindle books on my iPad and Dave reads them on his iPhone. I usually read them on the day they come out. Please, don't ask me to do anything else that day. :)

Linda

19 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Kindle Unlimited more than pays for itself in the entertainment and knowledge we get from it each month. Our personal preference is the "Moon+ Pro" reader on our Android devices, so I convert the Kindle formatted ebooks to standard EPUB or MOBI formats with the free cross platform Calibre ebook library manager.

Dutch maybe you and others using the free library systems and other ebook programs can write a review and tell us why you use them. and links to tutorials. I just use the Kindle App for kindles. Too many books to read there. And sometimes I can only get through two or three books a month. I am on book ten of this series, and loving it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CFBQNJ?ref_=dbs_p_mng_rwt_ser_shvlr&storeType=ebooks

14 hours ago, sandsys said:

I read Nick's Kindle books on my iPad and Dave reads them on his iPhone. I usually read them on the day they come out. Please, don't ask me to do anything else that day. :)

Linda

I wasn't sure if the iPads and iPhones were supported. Thanks for the info. I figured as much but without trying them out, which I won't, I am not an App person. I am a broadband full computer at home for Internet, phones for me are only for emergencies. I turn them off when in a store or bank except for reading or watching streaming. We do not bank on phones, nor let any notifications from FB or here or other websites on our phones. I may do more with my newest Surface Go2 LTE and larger Surface Pro 7+ LTE. But they run Windows, not the other OS'. Android is under constant attack and we lock them down.