Tolls on the NJ Turnpike

Cally2

We just arrived home from a trip to MA.  We were driving a 34 foot motor home with a Mini Cooper on a tow dolly.  Two wheels on the dolly and two on the road.  We  paid a $14.90 toll at the entry and continued our trip.  After we arrived back home (Texas), there was a "New Jersey Turnpike Authority, First Notice of Enforcement Action."   WHAT?????  We were assessed another $14.15 plus an "administrative fee" of $50.00.  The document had a picture of our tow vehicle's license plate.  Why wasn't the extra fee assessed when we entered?  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks! 

I haven't driven the NJ Turnpike in a number of years but it's always been a place where you paid when you exited.  I'm puzzled by the reference to paying upon entry?

15 hours ago, Cally2 said:

We  paid a $14.90 toll at the entry and continued our trip. 

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, docj said:

I haven't driven the NJ Turnpike in a number of years but it's always been a place where you paid when you exited.  I'm puzzled by the reference to paying upon entry?

In NJ, you still pick up a ticket upon entry and pay upon exit, or use EZPass. Perhaps there was some confusion about that. Jay

1 hour ago, Jaydrvr said:

Did you perhaps pay the Delaware Memorial Bridge toll and mistake that for the NJ toll? It's right there as you enter the NJ Turnpike.. Jay

I believe the Delaware Memorial Bridge Toll is now only collected West bound. Coming East from Delaware to the Southern end of the NJ Turnpike there is no bridge toll just the toll/ticket booth at the entrance to the turnpike. 

My guess is that the OP went across one of the bridges to Northern New Jersey and perhaps went through an Easy Pass only access to the Turnpike.

Edited by trailertraveler

Yes the Delaware Memorial Bridge is paid LEAVING New Jersey, I mean come on who really wants to pay to ENTER New Jersey 😱, sorry just a standing local joke, couldn't resist.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch