Water Hookup Confusion

Oldav8r

We are complete rookies right now. We're am borrowing an 2017 Freelander 21RS from my in laws. We've taken one short trip of a couple days so far. I am baffled by the fact that there is a full owners manual covering the vehicle but almost nothing on the operation of the "house."  My FIL is just as clueless as they've only used it a couple of times. 

Current issue

The water hookup. Fill v. City valve position I think I understand. Go to the campground place it in City and hook up their water. Fill seems straightforward as well (except how do I know when it's full?) 

What is confusing is the rest of the instructions - especially the CAUTION. 

- 906802846_H20INST2-min2.jpg.ab9025493664497bed799f178e4c69ec.jpg

What is the Fullway Termination Valve? Is this also the valve I shouldn't depress under pressure? 

- Is the toilet the only way to get water into the black tank after dumping ? 

Thanks for any help/ 

13 minutes ago, Oldav8r said:

Yes. Most of us fill the bowl at least once then flush that into the tank right after dumping. How much you need to add to keep the bottom of the tank wet is based on how big your tank is.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

46 minutes ago, Oldav8r said:

The water hookup. Fill v. City valve position I think I understand. Go to the campground place it in City and hook up their water. Fill seems straightforward as well (except how do I know when it's full?) 

When you connect the city water (use one of the white drinking water hoses) to the proper connection, the valve allows you to connect to the plumbing and use water from the city water supply, just as you would in a house. Moving the valve to the tank fill position allows you to fill the potable water tank for use when you do not have a city water connection available. You can tell the tank is filling by watching the potable water tank level gauge that will be found inside of the RV somewhere. To use water from the tank you must turn on the water pump whose switch is probably on the same panel as the tank level indications. You do not need to fill the tank in order to use water while hooked to city water but I always keep some water in the tank for travel use and just in case the water supply from the city should fail.

51 minutes ago, Oldav8r said:

What is the Fullway Termination Valve?

That is the valve  that is there to prevent a pressure buildup in the waste tank. Some RVs have those while others just depend on the operator opening the dump valve before you start to flush the tank. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFuFVBCK_mrMqVEjvMIVX   images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRt1pjZOamx0d6K9_dLqbP

The first picture is of the Fullway valve and the second is of the tank dump valve. If you only use the waste tank flush system when emptying the tank you do not need to concern yourself with the Fullway. 

1 hour ago, Oldav8r said:

No, the black tank flush system does that same thing. It is best to only add water to the black tank by flushing the toilet, at least until you become very practiced with the flush system as it is very difficult to know how much you are putting in with the flush system. A toilet bowl of water is about 1 gallon so if you add 4 or 5 bowls of water before use you should be in good shape. Then as you use the toilet you need to be generous with the use of flushing water, especially when flushing solids and TP.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Oldav8r said:

Thanks to all for your responses. I know some of this is pretty basic. 

Yet some of us old-timers still screw up something at least once a year.😉

Relax, do things at your own comfortable speed, this is supposed to be fun.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961