Can a 2500HD Chevy pull a 5th Wheel?

Cosmo Kramer

1 hour ago, NDBirdman said:

I saw a 2500 RAM pulling what looked to be atleast 42ft Momentum at a rest stop in the mountains once.  I struck up a conversation with him about the camper.  I eventually asked how that truck handled the weight, he said the trucks modified to handle it.  I left that alone pointing out my rig then asked him, when he see's it, please stay very far away from it, I don't want to be involved in his crash.  He just stormed off... never did see him or his rig again, thank goodness!!!

This is an old pic I took a few ... years back.  Towing with a 2500, atleast to me be like... :

ranger.jpg

Isn't that a tiny Ford Ranger? The camper is set up, so it just looks like a staged photo for fun, to me. Old Rangers didn't have a lot of tow capacity. Jay

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we were traveling and hosting, I cannot recount all of the 250/2500 series trucks pulling 40 foot plus, 3 axle toy haulers.  The RVers were blissfully happy and had not a clue as to their weight.  If asked, they quoted the advertising number in the brochure and never the limitation posted...."when properly equipped".    It was no sense in insulting their purchase.  Hopefully they learn before they or someone else is injured.

I had a few ask me why I was using a 1 ton dually of my 40 foot, 3 axle trailer...well it weighed 19,300 lb and 4200 lb on the pin.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

9 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

And that is all about COMMERCIAL vehicles. I've never heard of a personal vehicle getting a fine for overweight, either. We've all seen the ones that qualify. Jay

If you were in an accident and killed someone I'll bet they'd look into every detail for the court case.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

19 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

If you were in an accident and killed someone I'll bet they'd look into every detail for the court case.

Of course that's true in every accident. We weren't talking about that. We were talking about getting a ticket. Jay

13 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Of course that's true in every accident. We weren't talking about that. We were talking about getting a ticket. Jay

Province of British Columbia is notorious for their enforcement. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 minutes ago, Darryl&amp;Rita said:

Province of British Columbia is notorious for their enforcement. 

That could definitely be true. I know virtually nothing about north of the border. I've only been there commercially and that was all legal weights and years ago. Jay

The simple answer is, yes it can tow that 5er. Can it tow that 5er safely, NO.

To accurately and impartially determine what your 3/4T pickup will handle.  Use this online towing calculator and input the numbers required.

Then read this: https://fifthwheelst.com/2015-three-quarter-ton-truck-towing.html

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Isn't that a tiny Ford Ranger? The camper is set up, so it just looks like a staged photo for fun, to me. Old Rangers didn't have a lot of tow capacity. Jay

Yup, and I still have that tiny truck.  Wish mother nature would not have destroyed that camper.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

7 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

We were?  Thought we were talking about weights.  This post is almost 2 yr old and no where was it talking about tickets.  The blub that I quoted casually mentioned tickets but the gist of it was weights and that's why I posted it.  

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

We were?  Thought we were talking about weights.  This post is almost 2 yr old and no where was it talking about tickets.  The blub that I quoted casually mentioned tickets but the gist of it was weights and that's why I posted it.  

These do go off the rails...

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends of ours had a Tongue Hitch Camper Trailer, 5400lbs dry, tended to leave water side partial and waste dumped where camped but still added load, pulled that with a 2000 Dodge Dakota then a 2004 Dodge Durango extended cab, both were well beyond capacity with it where brakes were shot in matter of Months of decent use.  Stepped up to a Dodge 3500 was thinking of bigger tongue hitch camper but went to 38' 5ver, that was borderline for his Camper that weighed in at 14600 dry and no gear.  Has since gone to a 5500, both the last two had Cummins power and could easily achieve 11.5-12mpg at nominal road speeds.  His wife feels quite more comfortable as truck handles the weight better and has a RV Flatbed that he has better vision across.