Will it fit?

Pyscokev

I'm looking at buying an early 2000's volvo 770 and want to tow a 43' toyhauler with it but am worried if it'll get my trailer into my backyard. My street is 35' wide and then to my front fence is another 15'. After that it's another 35' until it narrows to where the trailer and truck would have to be straight to go to my backyard (it's only 11.5' wide.) I would love to be able to try it but don't have a truck yet and don't want to buy a truck only to find it would be a huge hassle every time. 

I have a decent amount of practice backing up trailers and have backed up doubles when I've needed to though it takes some time and thinking. My wife is also a huge help watching to make sure I don't hit anything. If I extended the deck so the hitch was 4' behind the rear axle would that help or hurt the backing up? Do you think I would have any problems backing in to my driveway? I also have a cul-de-sac at the end of my street that is 80' across that I was thinking I could still turn around in. You think that's true or am I going rip the trailer tires off turning? Thanks for any help or suggestions or if anyone lives near ventura,  CA let me know and I'll pay to see you back into my driveway. Thanks. 

Our rig is similar to what you describe.  Our street is 18' and our drive is also 18' wide.  I just clip the grass making the transition from street to drive.  I doubt you'd have any trouble.  That cul-de-sac might be another matter.

FKcqzKcl.jpg

11 hours ago, Pyscokev said:

Thanks and I'm sure you know that's the truck I'm looking at buying.   

Yes, but I felt it was your choice whether to divulge anything.  BTW, it was good talking to you today.  You seemed to have a list of all the right questions.

19 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

It will do it.  You'll scrub the trailer tires turning in the cul d sac but you'll be able to turn straighten out and back up.

It's in my inventions file:  a small spray system that applies biodegradable slippage fluid to RV trailer tires in tight skidding turns.

As a reference,

With the setup in my sig (42' toyhauler on a singled mid 610) with the hitch short (just above the rear axles) I could enter a cul-du-sac, get turned within the cul-du-sac then back into a driveway within the cul-du-sac staying in a single lane of the driveway.  (Two cars wide driveway but it was easy to stay in one lane).  It would scrub the tires while turning but not horrible bad.

I extended the hitch about 36 inches behind the rear axle, it made turning and backing up significantly easier.  Singling is also another approach to tighten up the turning radius, but I don't think you would need that (35' is pretty wide).

As to how much of a hassle that will be up to you, it will get easier over time.