I hate campgrounds with a passion

2 hours ago, etcetera said:

I am stuck in major metro areas due to career choice.

So why is your career choice used to denounce a whole industry.  You choose a career and location in an area not conducive to RV living.  Didn't you consider this before launching yourself?  This reminds me of all the times I have heard owners of 45' pushers brag about always going 70-75 down the highways and, at the same time, complain about the cost of fuel and the poor mpg they are getting.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

What a useless advice. What good is the criticism (posing as advice) in the form of why you did this or why you did or did not do that? I can't go back to 1992 and undo things and instead am forced to deal with the cards fate dealt me, here and now and I am doing it as best as I can. If I could go back 30 years, there is a long list of 1000 and 1 thing Iw would do differently. But here I am. Today is the tomorrow we used to worry about yesterday.

Everyone in life is stuck in one place or another. Some geographically, some in other ways.  I am not in the same position in life as most people on this forum, I suspect, but it doesn't make it any less legitimate. One size fits none. Isn't that the whole point of the community.  The whole statement you should have done X or Y is meaningless. Sometimes I wonder if I picked the wrong career, the wrong spouse, the whole location but I suspect it's not any better on the other side, just a delusion.

I can see my vibe resonates with a great deal of other individuals. 

Edited by etcetera

5 hours ago, etcetera said:

What a useless advice.

What sort of advice would you like? Working via the internet, travel with a child, home school, building an RV, choosing an RV, living in an RV, or.............. ?

Please let us help as that is the reason these forums exist.  

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

What sort of advice would you like? Working via the internet, travel with a child, home school, building an RV, choosing an RV, living in an RV, or.............. ?

Please let us help as that is the reason these forums exist.  

Just as all of us sometimes to "informational" posts that aren't questions they did a post describing their frustration with long term campground solutions in the DC area.  I don't think they need to have a question to start a discussion here.

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

46 minutes ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Just as all of us sometimes to "informational" posts that aren't questions she did a post describing her frustration with long term campground solutions in the DC area.  I don't think she needs to have a question to start a discussion here.

She's a 6'3" male. 

20 hours ago, etcetera said:

Full timing and the whole RV concept is just not a thing in the mid-Atlantic. Yeah, but not really. And I can't move. Not yet.

Places like Nevada and California struck me as anything goes and we don't care.

Remember Old Man Winter in your considerations.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Thanks for advice. It's good to put things into perspective RE: Old man winter.

To shift gears a little bit.  I already have an open thread on this. But FWIW.  In terms of getting "advice".

I am trying to pick direction as every way looks equally right and wrong.

1) Get a Class C, about 25-28'. Pros: It's turn-key and plug-and-play for the most part. Cons: Not much of a Stealthy camping machine. That may or may not be an issue.  I don't want to be an attention magnet.

2) Get a Sprinter Van, Class B. One of these high-top deals. Cons: Not sure if the height is sufficient for me.  I want 80-84" of clearance inside so I don't bump my head into the AC unit. And I don't like the "van" concept, the engine is harder to get to to perform an emergency repair. I pretend to be a DIY person. Spark plugs, belts. Vans are a PITA. Pros:  They blend in very easily. Not an attention-getter.

3) Get a 25-28' shuttle bus and convert it. There are many build on the F550 platform, easier to repair. Pros: I can build it the way I want it. The clearance inside is about 7' or so, almost. Not an attention-getter as the area has myriad of them. Cons: I work slow and it will realistically take me 6 months to do it, I think. Not sure what problems I run into. Pros: I can build it to look exactly the way I want it. For example, pergo or even real wood floor, no carpet anywhere, not even in the bedroom.  The girl  who converted an ambulance inspired me to put a wood stove in. Very neat. I never even contemplated that but I like it.

I am investigating (3) at the moment and learning what's available and pricing but can't say I wont' turn down a viable  (1) option. Or not..

This is the video I am talking about, FWIW. This is not exactly what I want for a multitude of reasons (insufficient height inside, need  something a bit larger and at least 25'..) She is not married to campgrounds, can roam around freely and all that without attracting attention, and on a $20K budget ($10K purchase price and the actual conversion). 

Got to assign some points for creativity and out-of-the-box thinking.

Edited by etcetera

Not quite for the same reasons, but I hate campgrounds too, everywhere not just east coast.  Boon-docking (not parking loting..) is for me if possible.  Unfortunately, one must use a campground to be near a destination.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I found this 1999 F550-based Shuttle bus not too far from me, am going to take a look at it one of these days. Sorry to steer off-topic. Now contemplating this project consumes me and I am mentally making plans how to configure it.

7.3 Powerstroke, relatively low miles, priced under $20K and the interior is already removed. Sounds providential.  Nobody else wants a gutted 1999 bus. It seems like it was garaged and is in nice shape.

Or not, maybe I am in over my head. I figure I will sink 10-15K in it. But, the factor that slightly pushes me to get a DIY project is that I have some eccentric ideas I have never really seen implemented anywhere else. It's not that I don't like typical floor plans, but I want these things:  Wood floor.  No carpets anywhere. Full size bath, as in a bathtub. Accordingly enough water to accommodate that. Nice desk. Full size couch, around 7'. 8' is even better. I only need one bed, queen.  The woodstove is the final icing on the cake.  It's just uber cool. I think.  I love messing with wood and it's always available. Then there are some other things but these are the deal breakers, almost.

I know nothing about diesel so that by itself is a challenge. Supposedly it's the best Ford made. I will have to bring a mechanic with me to check it out.  Transmission too. I wonder what tranny they used in those beasts.

Edited by etcetera

How big are your holding tanks going to be and where will you put them?  Where will your fresh water tank be, and how big?  Will they be enclosed so they can be kept warm?  Where will your water heater go and what size?  Bathtubs take huge amounts of water, which is why most RVs now go with just shower.   Propane tank for furnace and cooking?   Lots of infrastructure needs to be in place before flooring is considered.   Also, electrical systems need to be planned for, especially if you want roof solar integrated into the rig.   Then controllers, inverter/charger and house battery bank.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I forgot to mention solar, that's another icing on the cake. Of course I want it. Maybe 600W. I need to take a look at how much it costs and how much I actually need. and the battery bank. I also need a ballpark cost estimate for the conversion. The purchase, assuming it happens, would be around 18K and I am thinking another 20K dumped into it.. So I will be at 40K and I can buy just something without doing any work. I can also work incrementally without going into debt. It is tempting either way.   I am making arrangements to take a look it at. Supposedly 74K miles is pretty low for the 7.3L Powerstroke.

OTOH if I actually build it myself, I will have a far greater understanding of the mechanisms involved. Sounds like a great project to do with my son.  I doubt he will live there, at least not initially.

I think the bathtub idea will only be viable when I connected to shore water... not when boondocking. I envision it will be part time boondocked and part time shore power/water/etc. I get that the bathtub will take probably 50 - 80 gallons, which is a luxury.

I think I need to find some youtube page of someone who documented the entire process. RE: Holding tanks, etc. This project may not even happen if there is some issue with the bus or the sale doesn't go through. I am at this point open to multiple options.

Edited by etcetera

Yes, OP, more or less agree. I urban boondock 95% of the time. Only time I've stayed in CG's were at the diving springs in FLA and when I worked in NYC and stayed at Liberty Harbor RV in Jersey City.

Liberty Harbor is fine for me except for the price. I think it is $85 for no hook ups and $120 a day for hook ups. I could live fine at Liberty Harbor if it was affordable. They had a new manager come on board and was trying to impress the owner, so he jacked up prices across the board. If you forget to sign out when leaving it is a $40 charge. Don't know if that is standard or not. And for the cheapskate you can pitch a tent at Liberty Harbor for $75 a day.

Generally I get up, go to work, came back late and go to bed. No time ever for TV, so I don't care what they got at a CG. Do that 7 days a week until I leave.

When on the road I get up early, drive all day and pull in someplace hopefully before midnight and go to bed. I get up in the AM and hit the road. So a CG with amenities is a waste for me.

Edited by slackercruster

On 6/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, slackercruster said:

Yes, OP, more or less agree. I urban boondock 95% of the time. Only time I've stayed in CG's were at the diving springs in FLA and when I worked in NYC and stayed at Liberty Harbor RV in Jersey City.

slackercruster,

Question, what kind of RV do you have?  Assuming you can share this info.

That works for you for 'urban boondock'.  I am at crossroads and trying to make a decision.

17 hours ago, etcetera said:

slackercruster,

Question, what kind of RV do you have?  Assuming you can share this info.

That works for you for 'urban boondock'.  I am at crossroads and trying to make a decision.

I got a truck camper. With a big metal tool box on the front hitch. (This is not it.)

R422hafl.jpg

I can carry a mini gen in it and about 50 gallons of water. That is probably pushing it. I think it is 500 pounds tongue limit on it. 

Just by chance I saw your reply. If I don't answer someone it isn't cause I'm stuck up. I am on numerous forums and have tons of other computer work to do. So it is a crapshoot if I get back to a subject sometimes.

If you want stealth get a 2 step out back. I got this to raise it some.

Dual Hitch Extender (harborfreight.com)

Here is the 2 step

Amazon.com: CR Brophy Machine Works RHS2 Black Receiver Hitch Stair with Two Step: Automotive

I'm getting old so it is harder to load the TC. I use this now when home to load it or on local if safe from theft and hassles.

Amazon.com: Camco Adjustable Height Aluminum Platform Step- Supports Up to 1,000 lb., Includes Non-Slip Rubber Feet, Durable Construction, Easy to Store and Transport - (43676): Automotive

Glow steps are cushier, but they are not stealthy.

TorkLift GlowStep Stow N' Go Scissor Steps w/ Landing Gear - 3 Steps - 375 lbs - Black Bracket TorkLift RV and Camper Steps TLA7833 (etrailer.com)

I remember when I first got into TC's. An old guy at that forum said he was giving up on the TC going to a Class C cause he is too old for the step. I thought to myself, how sad he can't go up a little step. Now I'm getting old and boom!

Truck campers are the black sheep of the RV world. Before they had toy haulers, they used TC's to haul a trailer with your toy in tow.

I couldn't afford my TC now. I got it about 11-12 years ago. Everything has skyrocketed. I am pretty happy with it. Just wish it had A/C. But...if it had propane A/C it would suck down the 2 little #20 tanks in no time. My goal is to move up to a small Class C that sucks the gas tank to fuel the A/C. When I got the truck I wanted 4WD.  I don't really need 4WD any more, so Class C would be super cushy for me. (I used to like to go to VT for skiing. But it rusts up the truck, and can't afford another one, so stopped.)

I do lots of winter camping. I added this to supplement my forced air furnace and it just sips the propane and don't need electric.

019332_1.jpg?sw=600&sh=600&sm=fit

The ideal setup is to run my mini heater and for the furnace to cycle on every few hours to flush the cabin air. But it is sometimes hard to regulate that formula.

The cassette toilet is nice. You can dump it at any public bathroom (If you are stealthy) or rest stop toilet. You pull out the tank shown on the side.

2_IMG_6313wecbsa__55096.1620317505.jpg?c

You can also get mini chemical toilets that you can stow. But same principle more or less.

71-HJZZghmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For truck camper you need tie down and some sort of outrigger to tie them on. 

truck camper tie down - Google Search

And get locks for your tie downs so they don't steal them.

truck campers - Google Search

Don't just jump into it, study them up. You need to match the truck and the camper. 

broke-back-camper-not-fui.jpg

I had an old mentor way back that schooled me on TC's. So here is my mini give-back to you. But he wrote me ten pages or more!

....Good luck!

Edited by slackercruster

4 hours ago, slackercruster said:

Truck campers are the black sheep of the RV world.

Mind sharing why you feel that way? They aren't as common as they once were, or at least I don't see as many as I used to, but I think part of that is the change in places we spend our time. It does seem that the bigger is better crowd sometimes dominate the RV forums, but we owners of small RVs are still very much around with our 20' RV which has no slide and probably has no more floor space than you truck camper. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI