Hood Removal

SuiteSuccess

Need to get hood painted or lined.  How difficult is it to remove the hood on a 2006 Volvo 780?  Local paint shop doesn’t have booth big enough for semi.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Can't wait to hear about your results. My hood is faded and I cannot seem to bring back any shine to it at all. Quit trying years ago. Checked with a friend about a repaint, but 15K was not in my budget. That was for the whole truck, didn't think of just doing the hood. I'm sure the prices have gone up a lot more, by now. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, geodog1 said:

I had my hood repainted two years ago in Chama, NM. Local paint shop removed the hood and painted it in their car paint booth.

ShortyO

Gonna check on doing the same.  I don’t have the manpower to remove it 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Talking to Worldwide Equipment tomorrow about having them give me a repaint estimate.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl    When I was headed to the ECR in 2016 i painted the hood in the back yard. Looked real good and the price was right. Just takes time to tape and some fore thought about how you are going to reach the highs and the lows. Be sure to be careful with over spray. Find a body man/painter  and have him spray it. Just a thought.   Pat

The Old Sailor

• 3 weeks later...

fellas....i am in the process of building my retirement vehicle and i just finished repainting it last week. it is a 2007 volvo vn780. painting the hood is pretty easy to do, need a few supplies. i can walk you thru painting with a single or two tone color so long as fancy mural stuff aint involved. shoot me a message and i will call or text to help out. i sprayed my truck with single stage urethane paint and it works great, shines great and is easy to work with. highly recommend the 3M paint gun with removable tips and cup above. could probably paint your hood for under 1k with buying all supplies.  

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Don't worry about it. We have a few folks from Tennessee on here so this is not uncommon...

They’re not upside down if you’re standing on your head David!  Jeez thought even someone from Georgia could see that.  🙄🙄

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

loli and popi,

Nice job.  Appreciate the offer but I have no facilities where I could do it.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I just got a "friend of a friend deal" quote to paint my whole truck and bed......$15k. It needs doing so it will happen, I just need to find the vaseline first.

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

12 hours ago, Big5er said:

I just got a "friend of a friend deal" quote to paint my whole truck and bed......$15k. It needs doing so it will happen, I just need to find the vaseline first.

You want the upper left size , in the twin pack . LOL

img_0357-e1436784365492.jpg?w=640

Goes around , comes around .

On 6/11/2021 at 1:58 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Six bolts and 3 strong men.

Or a forklift??

On 6/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, JPL said:

When I was headed to the ECR in 2016 i painted the hood in the back yard. Looked real good and the price was right. Just takes time to tape and some fore thought about how you are going to reach the highs and the lows. Be sure to be careful with over spray. Find a body man/painter  and have him spray it.

How did a man walk AROUND THE WORLD??  One step at a time.  I have multiple paint projects and I am breaking them down into pieces so they dont seem so daunting.  First one is failing clear coat on my Teton:  $12K for a complete single stage/1 color paint job.  I bought the material and will just respray the clear.  Most painters will say it wont last, well I need 5 years and then it will likely be someone elses, so it will work for me and get me around my world.

I guess its mostly about your objective.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the final solution.  Had several quotes to repaint entire hood.  Cheapest was $4500 if I removed the hood and took to the shop.  Auto body/paint shop.  Quote from Volvo dealer was $5000 for hood and they would not have to remove.  They had truck paint booth.  Dealer cost to JUST repaint mid panel $1500.  I elected for dealer to just spray bed liner like bumper and roof….cost $870.  It’ll last me five years.  Not ideal but workable and looks okay,

MYx6OF9l.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Bed armour has been the savior of many work trucks, getting a few more years out of them, before the "Push" say it has to go. Looks great.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Here is the final solution.  Had several quotes to repaint entire hood.  Cheapest was $4500 if I removed the hood and took to the shop.  Auto body/paint shop.  Quote from Volvo dealer was $5000 for hood and they would not have to remove.  They had truck paint booth.  Dealer cost to JUST repaint mid panel $1500.  I elected for dealer to just spray bed liner like bumper and roof….cost $870.  It’ll last me five years.  Not ideal but workable and looks okay,

MYx6OF9l.jpg

I'll bet it will last longer than 5  years. Too bad they didn't offer to tint the bedliner, but I have seen that stuff fade pretty fast, at least the red stuff. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.