I guess it is true...many of us share the same RV key

Storage bay doors left unlocked. We've always left ours unlocked, but a guest in the RV park we manage found out the hard way that might not be a good idea. His rig has a bay connected to the interior, via a bench seat or bed. A local wanderer got into the storage bay, gophered up inside the RV, and used her time inside to take a shower, make at least one meal, brush her teeth with his brush, and collect a sizeable bundle of his clothing. This apparently was too much activity for her, as she was asleep in the bed when he found her. Chaos ensued, with a flying cell on 911, blows being exchanged, and a lot of noise. Local constabulary arrived in hot pursuit, and cuffed her, interviewed him for a good bit before talking to us. Good times.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

18 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Storage bay doors left unlocked. We've always left ours unlocked, but a guest in the RV park we manage found out the hard way that might not be a good idea. His rig has a bay connected to the interior, via a bench seat or bed. A local wanderer got into the storage bay, gophered up inside the RV, and used her time inside to take a shower, make at least one meal, brush her teeth with his brush, and collect a sizeable bundle of his clothing. This apparently was too much activity for her, as she was asleep in the bed when he found her. Chaos ensued, with a flying cell on 911, blows being exchanged, and a lot of noise. Local constabulary arrived in hot pursuit, and cuffed her, interviewed him for a good bit before talking to us. Good times.

🤣🤣🤣

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

21 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Good times ???, - - ROTFL !! ...😕

What brand of Motor Home (or RV) was it ??

Remember some MHs (?)  that had a "clothes chute" to deposit your dirty laundry from the living area into the storage area.

Had a small TT  many years ago - storage under one of the dinette seats could be accessed from the inside -or- via an outside compt.......but no way even a kid could accomplish the gopher caper.

On 6/13/2021 at 12:17 PM, Barbaraok said:

What type of expensive items does everyone keep in their bays that are worth having to pay $2500+ to replace the bay door - not to mention painting, pain of finding someone to fix it, being without rig while painting done, etc.   Hoses, cords, patio furniture, grill, extra fluids?   All of that can be replaced for fair less than the cost of a damaged bay door.

Bays are where bicycles should  be kept, to keep them out of sight.  And many insurance policies require signs of forced entry in order to cover stolen contents. 

12 minutes ago, Blues said:

And many insurance policies require signs of forced entry in order to cover stolen contents. 

We had a camera stolen from the table in our RV site with us inside of the RV. The insurance covered the loss without question.  It was a $400+ camera.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Do you have access to the policy that covered it?  I've had fulltimer insurance from a few different companies, and I have copies of my policies from both Progressive and National Interstate and they have identical language:

"Loss due to theft of personal effects located inside 'your covered auto' must be proven by visible evidence of forced entry."

and

"You are responsible for providing reasonable safekeeping for personal effects located outside 'your covered auto.'"

If you did have this language, then perhaps the insurance company considered your leaving the camera unattended outside your RV as "reasonable safekeeping."  Or maybe they just liked you.  Who knows.

But the bottom line is to know what your policy says, which pretty much nobody does.  It's discussions like this that can alert people that they don't know what they don't know.  It never would have occurred to me that visible evidence of forced entry is required for a theft to be covered until someone mentioned it somewhere, and I checked my own policy.

On 6/19/2021 at 8:06 PM, Blues said:

If you did have this language, then perhaps the insurance company considered your leaving the camera unattended outside your RV as "reasonable safekeeping."  Or maybe they just liked you.  Who knows.

There may well have been those words on it and probably was something similar, although I don't keep old insurance policies, but do have the financial records. The policy was with National General Insurance and the incident was in 2002, so it was quite a long time ago.  The camera was an Olympus, my first digital zoom camera. The insurance agent was what is now AIS, although at that time the name was different. I contacted the agency at the time as I doubted that it would be covered and was told to buy the replacement and send them the receipt along with a claim form. I have no idea why they accepted the claim, but it could have been in order to keep me as a customer, which clearly did work since I kept that insurance for the entire 14 years that I owned that motorhome. 

Edited by Kirk W
Remove comment.

When parked in many areas and at remote locations such as trailheads I use a two prong steering wheel lock and leave my camper shell unlock. Been doing this for many years in many states and no problems so far.  Takes only a few seconds to position the wheel lock and thieves would have to saw the steering wheel in two places according locksmith.  NO high tech BS and works for me.

Thieves I imagine lick their lips when they see high priced vehicles parked in vulnerable locations.  See you around the campfire and cheers to the good guys.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2071282349840606&type=3

ZjgHyHOm.jpg

9 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Doubt it if you wish, but those are the facts. 

I don't see anywhere that I doubted that your claim was paid.  The only question is why it was paid, if what you did didn't comply with the policy requirements.  And to that the answer is, "Who knows."  My "they like you" is similar to your "they wanted to keep my business." 

Due to my simple plain lifestyle of camping, fishing and hiking  I have no need for costly insurance except the minimum for vehicles.  I have old pair binoculars, my smartphone is also my camera and wifi access point.  MY laptop is easy to carry when I need it away from vehicles, house, etc.   My fishing camping equipment is not expensive tempting stuff.   Nothing special or specialized or expensive about any of my possessions, etc.

This has worked well for many many years in extensive travels.  My cable locks and chains do serve as a deterrent to some along with trailer hitch locks/chains. A bright spot light and flashlights are useful plus airhorn. Cheers at the campfire.

Edited by NamMedevac 70

13 hours ago, Blues said:

I don't see anywhere that I doubted that your claim was paid. 

Sorry that I miss understood. I thought that I detected a note of skepticism, but I have been wrong before.🙃 It was a long time ago, so might not happen if it were today. Hopefully I'll never test it see. I have a different RV and different insurance company now.  I edited the post to remove that comment.

Edited by Kirk W
correct typo