I guess it is true...many of us share the same RV key

I was told when I bought my rig that we all share the water and electric door key. And the main cabin door key on top is a shared key and the deadbolt lock below it is a special key that is not shared. 

Don't know if what I was told about the cabin door is true, but ran across this site today that supports the rest of the lock sharing claims. 

https://shoprvlocks.com/

Most RV manufacturers only have a very limited number of door keys but often use a deadbolt that has a wider variety. Now if you want a common key, the vast majority of outside storage access uses the CH751 keys that can be purchased anywhere. At least 4 of the 6 RVs that we have owned over the past 40+ years have used that 751 for outside bay locks.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

31 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I really don't know why you want everyone know what's what .

Sure , the pro will not be discouraged .

I mean , there is some security in ignorance > the less than pro ignorance . ;)

That ‘ secret’ has been out for decades.  We don’t lock bays during the six months we travel in the summer.  Plus, one look in them, no one is going to want to spend time hauling everything out with everyone in the park watching, for rolls of duck tape, Teflon tape, extra water hose, old chairs, old grill, etc. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

That ‘ secret’ has been out for decades.  We don’t lock bays during the six months we travel in the summer.  Plus, one look in them, no one is going to want to spend time hauling everything out with everyone in the park watching, for rolls of duck tape, Teflon tape, extra water hose, old chairs, old grill, etc. 

I know , but , still ... Why let the new gen know . They need to figure some things out for themselves . LOL

We don't lock bays either . I'd rather let them have what's there than try replacing a door . 

Goes around , comes around .

My MH insurance is $1,000 deductible, nothing behind any of my basement doors is worth that much, they can have it if they leave my doors alone.

I do lock the basement doors when traveling, more than anything to insure they are actually closed and latched.

I don't care how expensive a new lock  is, a large screwdriver can easily break the plastic slam latches - while destroying the door.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

17 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I know , but , still ... Why let the new gen know . They need to figure some things out for themselves . LOL

We don't lock bays either . I'd rather let them have what's there than try replacing a door . 

I had an huge supply of extra 751 keys because they were also the lock on fire extinguisher cabinets throughs the university where I worked - and no, we didn't keep the extinguishers locked in their cabinet, that was just the way they came from manufacturer.  Hence my huge supply of those keys.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Not sure but was once told by law enforcement that many autos likeToyota and Honda only have 6 or 7 different keys and if you have a copy of each you can unlock any one. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

18 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Which "new generation"?, LOL  Shouldn't take long for a new RVer:   It's a "PITA" and a waste of time.

Thieves already have it figured out &  have a....  "basic - fits everything -  key" !!

It's called a slot head screwdriver !!

BTW:  I change out all those locks to thumb turn style.  No key required.

Been doing that since my  first  TT in the 70's - Also MH's & 5th wheel .  Nothing stolen yet.  If there's a first time, guess that's amortization..... and time to upgrade unnecessary stuff in there...😉

A few years ago I opened a guy's door for him.  They had managed to lock themselves out and tried every window, etc. trying to get back in.  When we noticed what was going on I went over and offered to try my key because I had heard that there weren't that many different keys.  In spite of the fact that our RVs were different brands and years I opened it right up for him.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

We never locked our bay doors. The repair of a damaged door would be more costly than what's behind the door.  There were many times while boondocking or in public campgrounds we left without locking the main door when going for a walk.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I had an huge supply of extra 751 keys because they were also the lock on fire extinguisher cabinets throughs the university where I worked - and no, we didn't keep the extinguishers locked in their cabinet, that was just the way they came from manufacturer.  Hence my huge supply of those keys.

So , we know who to call when we lose our keys . :(

2 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Which "new generation"?, LOL  Shouldn't take long for a new RVer:   It's a "PITA" and a waste of time.

Thieves already have it figured out &  have a....  "basic - fits everything -  key" !!

It's called a slot head screwdriver !!

BTW:  I change out all those locks to thumb turn style.  No key required.

Been doing that since my  first  TT in the 70's - Also MH's & 5th wheel .  Nothing stolen yet.  If there's a first time, guess that's amortization..... and time to upgrade unnecessary stuff in there...😉

I kinda like the thumb turn idea , but all our locks are within the bay handles . Would be a bit redundant , for us .

I swear stuff gets stolen a lot . Every time I end up finding it the very last place I put it . LOL

We do try to have designated places , but ... ;)

Goes around , comes around .

4 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Not sure but was once told by law enforcement that many autos likeToyota and Honda only have 6 or 7 different keys and if you have a copy of each you can unlock any one. 

That used to be typical of most cars although I do believe that the number of different keys was somewhat higher, there were far fewer keys that there were cars. With key design improving so too did the number of available keys for each year model. The arrival of internally cut keys provided far more possible combinations with numbers in the hundreds. In 1985 Chevrolet added a coded resistor to the key of the Corvette and soon others followed. The advent of chipped keys has brought about keys that must be matched to codes in the automobile's computer, adding thousands of possible combinations. 

7 hours ago, Kirk W said:

That used to be typical of most cars although I do believe that the number of different keys was somewhat higher, there were far fewer keys that there were cars. With key design improving so too did the number of available keys for each year model. The arrival of internally cut keys provided far more possible combinations with numbers in the hundreds. In 1985 Chevrolet added a coded resistor to the key of the Corvette and soon others followed. The advent of chipped keys has brought about keys that must be matched to codes in the automobile's computer, adding thousands of possible combinations. 

True!

"Back When" a hide-out (spare) key was about one dollar  - and easy to hide!

Now a spare "chipped" key will run you about $80. from the dealer.   No - "On Star"....so - yes on the $80 spare.  Finding a good hiding place is more difficult than in the good 'ol days (especially if it's a "fob" type).

BTW - Auto theft deterrent.  Ya gotta love the honking horns.......that everyone ignores while muttering %*&^# about the owner.

😁

Edited by Pappy Yokum
typo

Been RV camping since 2003 and the thieves so far have never bothered my simple looking plain jane truck or rig in the many states and campgrounds I have visited.  When in remote areas I can watch my outfit with binoculars and will fire a shot in the air (BLM desert) if anyone messes with my trailer. 

One time a long time ago two dudes were approaching me as they fired their rifles into the sage brush trying to kill rabbits.  I stood up from my chair with my semi automatic rifle and told them to move on and they both back tracked without delay and I watched them drive off in their wheelies.  They were checking me out IMHO.   Others have left when they saw me watching them with my binoculars.  Very simple and easy to do.

Retired Acct & SEC CFP and former Army Guard and civilian pilot to two Texas Governors plus legislative aide.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

tepbkwhm.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

With new cars you don't even need the key out of your pocket. As long as the cars computer can talk to it it will work.

I knocked one of our basment doors closed. Yes I had put the keys on the basement floor. The door slammed shut and some how locked itself. 

What to do? I called a RV service guy who came to the RV park. 10 seconds after arriving I was handing over his $50 fee.  He just gave the door a sharp pull and it came open! FWIW it was an expensive Country Coach with "top" security. So they said!

A few months ago a thief entered our RV Storage lot and used his CH751 key to gain entry to as many storage bays as he could. He gained access to ours but he didn't see anything of value. I'm sure glad he used his key instead of a big screwdriver. I could have changed my bay door locks many years ago but thought I would be better off to keep the 751 and save the doors.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

What type of expensive items does everyone keep in their bays that are worth having to pay $2500+ to replace the bay door - not to mention painting, pain of finding someone to fix it, being without rig while painting done, etc.   Hoses, cords, patio furniture, grill, extra fluids?   All of that can be replaced for fair less than the cost of a damaged bay door.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

6 hours ago, travelinbob said:

I could have changed my bay door locks many years ago but thought I would be better off to keep the 751 and save the doors.

The thumb turn is handier for you......and a thief.

Also......some? thieves aren't smart enough to have a 751.

First RV (after tents) 1975.  So far nobody has stolen anything in compartments -or- outside. 

"Outside" means "unsecured" things like lawn chairs.  Bikes etc. get secured.

BTW "podwerkz":  Check the pouch.  Switched the 100's to 1's a month ago!...😉

Edited by Pappy Yokum
Benjamins gone

I've been hiding my extra $100 bills in a bank pouch in the outside storage compartments. 

Common keys?

Let me know where your RV is stored and I'll go by and check if your money is in there.  😁

2 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

First RV (after tents) 1975.  So far nobody has stolen anything in compartments -or- outside.

We got our first in 1972 and like you have never had anything stolen. 

On 6/13/2021 at 4:33 PM, bruce t said:

We have gone for a short drive. On return our water hose had been disconnected and stolen. Now tell me how low some folks can go! BTW it was in a "high end" RV part in Fort Worth.  We were parked among a lot of "high end" RVs. 

High end - Low life.........but -

Apparently the thief didn't have to get it out of a storage compartment !!

😉