New job. Jacksonville Florida/ correction Palatka, Florida

GlennWest

We have stayed at Pecan Park a couple of times. The jet noise is extreme. We stayed at Flamingo Lake off of the I-295 West Beltway near Jacksonville for a night in April. Seemed like a decent park. Don't know about their long term policies/rates. There are a couple of other parks off the West Beltway, but we have not stayed at or been to any of them. There are also more parks a little farther South in the Waldo area.

• GlennWest changed the title to New job. Jacksonville Florida/ correction Palatka, Florida

I don't mind 20 or so miles. This job was 40 miles away and mileage on car started going up fast. There appears to be lots of parks near but lots  are 60 ft long sites. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Palatka? That's cool! My daughter lived there until recently. I recommend 4 Lakes Campground. It's pretty new and we enjoyed it. It's the only reasonable option we found anywhere near Palatka. You would need to park your truck offsite in the back, though. That's what we did. Not a lot of options in that area. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

On 6/11/2021 at 4:02 AM, GlennWest said:

Oh. Might better find something else. Don't want to hear that for months.

Not only would you hear it, but if they are flying right over you will have the heavy exhaust particles covering your rig in no time. PBIA in the 1990's to 2003, of course the sugar burn was worse a couple times a year, at least you won't have to contend with that near Jacksonville. 

In the early 1990's I stayed at a park near the Air Force Base, but was in my pickup with a topper and not the HDT. Only time I stayed near Jacksonville. Had to pick up my Temp Nursing License for a job in Clewiston, FL. "Americas Sweetest Town", surrounded by sugar cane fields. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

5 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

There's also Keystone Heights RV Resort, which is very new and nice. Their sites have slightly more room. Our HDT and 40' fiver fit on the concrete pad, but not a lot of extra room. Jay

Ouch, they $1000 monthly for back in. Pull thru 1100.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The Florida campsites have been crazy expensive for years now, insane prices in the season (Nov-March). One of the reasons we moved here, our mortgage is less than the local campsites. Primary reason, cost of building campgrounds vs. return on investment. Big part of the year the sites are sitting empty, generating minimum income (primarily storage of rigs here and there). You build dozen of houses in Florida on the same site, they are sold before they are finished. As of this mornings news 1100 Californians move to Florida per day (average income $105K)

I investigated some time ago the possibility of investing in campground partnership (and living in it). Serious (and expensive) requirements on sewerage and water system and many other aspects. Long-gone are the days of leveling the swamp, dumping down gravel and multi barrels septic systems. We have four campgrounds in Port St. Lucie. Two older ones (small lots) and two brand new ones (gorgeous). One of the old ones was completely redone and is very nice. I parked the 40 footer and my semi in both of them and they were OK if you can back in. But old or new the prices (particularly in the season) were and are way up there.

The RV industry is again in the boom cycle, far more rigs are being built than the campgrounds that can take them, so supply and demand, you have to pay more, or the guy who can will get "your" site.

So Henry you are saying I will not find rv parks in the 4-500 range. That is disappointing. Pay is less in Florida than here in Texas/Louisiana also. Bummer. But I will only be about 400 miles from my previous home where all my sisters and brother, nieces, nephews live. Get to visit some so not all negative.

49 minutes ago, bja1234 said:

We stayed at Georgetown Marina/RV.  Very rural, nothing fancy, many fisherman, we liked it. Very reasonable rates.

1533 Co Rd 309 Georgetown, Fl 32139

Do they accept mail for rvers? Site very lacking for info

Edited by GlennWest

1 hour ago, usbusin said:

Those are reasonable monthly rates!

As good as I have seen anywhere. I will have to contact them. Don't look like a lot to do there either. Only grocery store listed is Winn Dixie. Likely why low rates

Sorry for the late reply. We often stay at the Ft McCoy KOA. It's not too bad. It's under new ownership and he's doing a ton of work. It's a 25 mile drive to Palatka. They always have plenty of sites including plenty in full sun for your solar. There is not much to do near the campground, unless you like fishing.

58 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

That looks promising. 75' sites. 

I run a church camping group. we've been there 8 or nine times in 2 years. You do have to watch what site you choose, but the owner and staff have always treated us well. The night sky is fantastic. We've met many long term contract workers camping out there.

That is the nicest I have seen and rates are not high. Will try to get in that one. You can't realize what a load that took off of us. We were dreading this. Thank you and God bless

Edited by GlennWest