Apple has bad news for some Mac owners

RV_

Excerpt:

"Unlike iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and watchOS 8, the new macOS Monterey leaves some hardware on the junk pile

Following the unveiling at WWDC 2021, we now know which Macs are going to make the cut come the fall.

And unlike older iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watch devices, just because your Mac runs the current version of macOS, that's no guarantee, and some of the older Macs are headed for the recycling center come the fall.

Here is the complete list of Macs that support the new macOS Monterey:

• iMac - Late 2015 and later
  • iMac Pro - 2017 and later
  • MacBook - Early 2016 and later
  • MacBook Air - Early 2015 and later
  • MacBook Pro - Early 2015 and later
  • Mac Pro - Late 2013 and later
  • Mac mini - Late 2014 and later

So, which Macs will be getting the chop compared to Big Sur? Here's a list:

• iMac - Mid and Late 2014 and Early 2015 
  • MacBook Air - Mid 2013 and Early 2014
  • MacBook Pro - Late 2013 and Mid 2014
  • MacBook - Early 2015

If you're on the first list, you're good to go. If you're on the second list, it's time to buy a new Mac.

Source: https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-has-bad-news-for-some-mac-owners/?ftag=CAD2e14604

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

7 hours ago, RV_ said:

If you're on the first list, you're good to go. If you're on the second list, it's time to buy a new Mac.

Or keep doing what I'm doing since it works for me. I'm still running Catalina. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

YW Bill. I believe more hardware software issues are coming as they begin to transition to their proprietary chipsets.

Microsoft took their Intel chipsets and made tablets miniaturized PCs that do exactly the same things as our PCs so the software is the same for both. So my Surface tablets can run the exact same full size programs as my full size PCs, and both now run Apps as well.

Apple is moving their Macs to their cellphone/tablet hardware and similar software so they can run their Mobile Apps on their iPads and iPhones on their Macs starting with one test base that I saw. I am by no means an Apple informed commentator. So as we see the hardware and software changes in the next year for Apple it appears they have some initially very fast and efficient systems in development as they transition away from the Intel Chipsets they adopted in 2005 because their "PowerPC" Chipsets were so far behind they would never catch up.

I would love to see them open their music files and hardware to be able to use them without any Apple filters like they had with iTunes bloatware for PCs.

As well they would be more competitive if they included 1TB MicroSD card capabilities. Streaming is great when there is a signal. I prefer a 256GB Micro SD with ALL my music ripped to mp3 on it.

But for most in cities streaming music is sufficient. I also like to have enough SD storage for all the movies I want to download to watch later.

Both systems do internal storage and attached external storage. I prefer larger Micros SD cards and others the walled Apple garden. And we each think our system is best as it takes a learning curve to use other OS'.

Kirk threatened to switch to Apple for years after years of blistering Microsoft for not being easier but he knew Windows. Well Kirk never made the switch and while I can use Windows, Apple mobile and desktop OS', and Linux, I don't have to stop and think with Windows. And we all can learn them, but it takes real effort the first time. I had to use a mouse for the first time in SIU computer labs in 1986 because they had the first Apple Macintosh systems.  I had been IBM/DOS/PCDOS/MSDOS/DR DOS which were command line based not a GUI (Graphic User Interface.) I had no idea what a mouse was for then and much preferred my command line and DOS mastery. The military used IBM computers and DOS then Windows in the early 90s but it was terrible until Windows for Workgroups 3.1. BUt it simulated multitasking. DR DOS (Gary Kildall's Digital Research who wrote the CP/M OS' for IBM and licensed to others) Was faster and did true multitasking and memory management without additional software. When he died Oracle bought it and it died rapidly from there.

Today we have a lot of choices but we all are resistant to change. We tend to stay with what we learned first. I used Wordstar all the way up to Windows 95 until I bought Windows 95 and Microsoft Office Pro for my home computer.

So don't take these Apple changes as anything other than the fast pace of tech progress. I have been reading amazing speeds out of some of the new Apple hardware.

June 24 we get to see the major change to Windows 11 or a new Windows fork. Whether it will be wonderful or a pain in the adz (shaping to our needs tool) remains to be seen.

It's all good! (whether we like it or not is up to each) 😎 :D

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Any one who owns a Mac knows that if you keep a computer long enough, you will reach a point where you can't upgrade to new operating system because so much has changed in the industry.   It is the nature of the industry - things change.  Nothing stays the same.   Apple has a way of doing business - if one doesn't like their way of doing things, don't buy an Apple product.   We've had a Mac since 1984, it is still in it's original carrying bag, but of course, not longer works.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 hours ago, Twotoes said:

So, my MacBook Pro I bought in 2012 is now obsolete? 

Not obsolete, but you won't be able to upgrade to the newer operating systems and the programs you now use will not be upgraded because new versions will be designed to run under the newer operating systems.   Depending upon what you are using the computer for, you might be able to get along quite well for some time yet.  

I find we get a new computer about every 5 years as newer, faster, systems are developed on the old is left behind.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Yep, no different than the many folks still using windows 7, or even XP.

The problem for me is security. Older unsupported operating systems (Windows or Apple) can be hacked when old vulnerabilities are discovered that were patched for current systems but not unsupported systems.

TwoToes you and all the Apple folks do have options since from 2005/6 to current the Macs have had Intel hardware and are the same as Windows machines. If you really really like the hardware and are willing to learn a new OS, your machine should have no trouble running a modern Linux version if it is a quad core Intel chipset and at least 8GB of RAM even better.

Having said that I was unable to get Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 to work acceptably on an old 2012 Windows XP Dell PC as it was too slow for the modern OS back in 2017 or so.

But that solution also involves none of your Mac programs working on Linux so a Learning curve some here have tried and gave up on when trying to switch OS'.

Right now with the chip shortages driving up RAM and other computer hardware prices may not be the best time to buy new other systems.

June 24th Windows 11 comes out too. So we will see what is what with both OS' this month.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 6/10/2021 at 11:27 AM, Barbaraok said:

Apple has a way of doing business - if one doesn't like their way of doing things, don't buy an Apple product.  

Barb, I will report facts here when they affect some of the membership. Facts are that some Apple products will no longer be supported. Microsoft only supports Windows for ten years with an obvious exception for XP and like Millennium Edition issued Vista as a hurried up OS both of which were terrible, half vast rush jobs. I saw none of the posters criticizing how Apple does biz.

Could you please point out where anyone defamed Apple's biz practices or the Apple faithful? :rolleyes:

If any of us RVrs who are notoriously independent and courageous enough to travel and bring their homes along with them do not like the way any company does business I sincerely doubt they need anyone's permission to not do biz with any company we do not like.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Did I say some particular person was defaming anyone?   I said if one didn't like the way Apple does business, don't buy an Apple product.   That is just a general statement of fact.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834