Streaming TV?

We've been DirecTV subscribers since we started full timing in Oct 2005.  We opted for the DNS package which gave us the networks stations from both east and west coasts, and it's been grandfathered.  We changed to a tripod dish years ago since we volunteer and spend summers in treed areas, and overall we've been happy with the service.....EXCEPT I am sick and tired of the lack of customer service.  Call with a problem, be placed on hold for a half an hour, then get connected with a non-native English speaker in an overseas call center who only knows what he/she can read from a computer script.  A few years ago I spent three days requesting NFL Ticket, each time connecting with an overseas person who assured me that I would be connected in the next hour.  I finally called and requested an American technical expert who promptly told me I was never eligible because I was a DNS user (some FCC rule).  The last straw was last week when I waited for over two hours over two days in an attempt to unlock my account due to the use of an old password.  I quit.  I was sent a free Verizon streaming device that gives me a free Disney Plus, Hulu basic, Tubi and others.  I added YouTube TV and with Amazon Prime I have more variety than with DirecTV at less than half the cost.  I have 185 high speed GB with my phones and a hotspot, and even with the increased cost for the data, I'm better off cost wise.  Between park WiFi, OTA TV, park Cable, and streaming, I'm happy even if all of these aren't available once in a while.  

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STREAMING.....You need good internet connection. Streaming is NOT WiFi at an RV park....I've never seen this work.

To get good internet you need a good system. I have a WeBoost that is used 80% of the time when in rural locations. And a 16' extendable mast (painters pole) with a long range yagi antenna for remote locations. 

You need an app on your phone showing where the various cell sites are located so you can point your yagi antenna at them. You need to do this while you still have cell service before you get to your remote destination.

I've been streaming for 7 years, all over the country. Mostly boondocking. I've never, repeat never, not been able to watch TV. 

I use one of three services....T-Mobile ($23 a month and unlimited data for DirecTV/AT&T, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and many more)....AT&T Mobley ($36 month and so far I've used hundreds of G a month and not been throttled)....Verizon phone hotspot ($55 a month, 15G before throttle as hotspot, otherwise unlimited grandfathered and cast from phone to TV)

I use AT&T about 95% of the time. T-Mobile has extremely limited service in the outback areas I camp. If AT&T doesn't work I'll use Verizon. I just hate to give up that charter membership $23 a month service... 🙂

The T-Mobile and AT&T SIM cards are in 2016 vintage  Netgear Aircard 815S hot spots. (Still working great, but looking to upgrade to hotspots with more channels)

I use Roku devices on two TVs...Work great as it is an all in one remote with volume for the TV.

Recently we cut the cord with cable and now stream ALL TV at home through TCL brand TVs which have built in Roku. Updates to all streaming services are offered regularly. During CoVid we replaced 6 TVs in the house with TCL. Could not be more happy. Bought them through B&H or Amazon.

I worked for 40+ years in the consumer electronics business and the last ten in the VoIP world (Video over Internet Protocol) . I saw the demise of satellite TV years ago. Just a few more years and the remaining DTV satellites will expire and streaming will be the go to method.

"AT&T/TV" just recently changed their name to "DirecTV Streaming".......Getting folks ready for the future.

All we need is Elon Musk's satellite internet delivery to be fully functional and then all of this becomes extremely easy!

Hope this helps someone trying to decide....

PS...I see folks referencing plans that offer 10g per month! or 15G per month......To watch TV, you will average about 1G an hour, depending on service and TV resolution. After you reach your 10G to 15G you will be throttled to the point where you won't be able to watch TV. "Streaming TV shows or films on Netflix uses about 1GB of data per hour, for each stream of standard definition video, up to 3GB per hour high definition video, and up to 7GB per hour of 4K Ultra HD video."

And what type of download speeds will you need....

"As a general rule, the recommended internet speed for streaming in standard definition videos is 3–10 Mbps (Megabits per second). To stream Hulu, Netflix, and Sling TV, you'll want a minimum download speed of 25 Mbps. For more devices and users, you'll want a speed closer to 50 Mbps."....https://www.attsavings.com/resources/internet/speed-guide/what-internet-speed-do-i-need-to-stream/

Edited by rbertalotto

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Here is why you need multiple services.....I set all hotspots up here at home and did speed tests...

Home Cable        61Mbps Down        40Mbps up

T-Mobile              21                             4

AT&T                     20                            2

Verizon                No service

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

4 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

STREAMING.....You need good internet connection. Streaming is NOT WiFi at an RV park....I've never seen this work.

I've been streaming for 7 years, all over the country. Mostly boondocking. I've never, repeat never, not been able to watch TV. 

Last fall I found a couple RV parks with good enough wifi to stream.  

Edited by hemsteadc

We have been in a  few that do. We didn't try it but they advertised their did. We are not boondocking so we not off the beaten path. Verizon is all we use. So far so good.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I had a HDTV reciever antenna dealie on toppa my new camper I had. 

I was parked just south of the Middle of Nowhere at 8500ft asl in NM and I thought I'd give it a try. 

52 channels! 

Half were spanish (me no habla very well but I will watch) and the other 80% had nuthin worth watching. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Some of the streaming apps allow you to download over the wifi and play back when you don't have internet access to do this you need a tablet other device  with plenty of memory to save the videos.  I upgraded my batwing antenna to a Winegard Razar automatic HDTV Antenna when I plug in at a campsite or start up my generator.  It searches for the direction most digital tv channels are broadcasting from. Then find channels on my tv and watch free TV.  I was paying over 40.00 a month for netflix, CBS,  prime video etc. I've  canceled all but 1. Now I  spend more time outside during the day and planning  my adventures in the evenings or playing board games and cards with neighbors. 

• 4 months later...

You have to pay once when you buy, and then just pay for the month you use.
(Like if you pay for cable TV every month).
You can watch all the services through one device (Roku or Firestick).
This is also useful for people who watch TV and don't want to watch Internet platforms.
If you want to change Internet platforms, you can use ROKU or Firestick or.
You can also change only one device (Roku or Fire). There is also an option to buy iptv, which is not as common on the market, but it has good reviews.

Edited by Poiuytrew

• 1 year later...

I recently switched from regular satellite TV to streaming, and it's easy. You need good internet and a Roku or Firestick hooked to your TV. Then, you choose apps like Netflix or Hulu to watch shows and movies. You can't record shows like old-school DVR, but you can watch stuff from their library anytime, which is handy.

I also started using IPTV, which is pretty cool. I pay 15 euros a month and get loads of excellent channels and tons of movies. Plus, I went for a yearly deal at 99 euros. The cool thing is I can watch it anywhere, even on my phone. It's a good deal, and I get to watch lots of stuff without paying a ton.

Edited by langeruds

Over the Holidays I cared for my daughter and her friend's cats at their home. I stayed over a couple nights and got started using their "Apple TV". Big mistake on my part. Binge watched several of their shows at their house and now have signed up for it at my house on wheels. 

I recently converted my TV to a computer monitor so it's a good picture and everything so for is working fine. I have 3 months free and then it's $9.99 a month. Much less than any "Satellite" I've seen. No local channels that I can find so far, but I to have an antenna I could put up, but haven't at this site yet.  

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

You can record streaming content using Playon; Playon home records in real time just like any other DVR, while Playon Cloud records on a server, and you can then download (or view) from the server. Playon Cloud avoids glitchy connections common in RV usage. I've been using them several years. I like to make a good recording on the cloud, then I can download that recording even with a bad local connection.

Playon gives adskip capability; you could of course cast to the tv using media player or Plex.

https://www.playon.tv/

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com