Streaming TV?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, whj469 said:

Thank all of you for your input regarding streaming. Can you stream say CNN in real time? I love the price as I currently pay about $200 monthly for DirecTV.

You can if you subscribe to one of the streaming packages, like YouTube TV, or Sling TV. Jay

On 6/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, Velos said:

How do you watch TV?  Recently a satellite serviceman said satellite TV will be phased out, everything will be streamed.

This is what I understand so far:

1. You need an internet connection and then a device on your TV ie ROKU or Firestick or??
  2. Then you need and APP ie Paramount+, Hulu, Netflix
  3. You can't record like a DVR but can watch most anything on their menu at any time
  4. You can pay for an upgraded service to have fewer commercials

Any tips or tricks, recommended apps or hardware appreciated...

I have Channel Masters OTA DVR with a one TB external hard drive. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

5 hours ago, NamMedevac 70 said:

"I have Channel Masters OTA DVR with a one TB external hard drive."

That sounds like a winner to me.  Cheers to you.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1733698683598976&type=3

ReWp9Mcm.jpg

I have flown the twin engine Bell 212 helicopter that appeared in the movie Black Sunday.  Photos are in the  FB link.

The more options you have the better your chances. I have that OTA DVR, Apple TV and a Firestick. Between the three I can watch about everything. 

• 2 months later...

We have a Roku TV. The apps update just like the ones on our Roku device. We still have Direct TV. If I have good cell signal and the terrain or tree cover will not permit signal or if I just don't feel like setting up the dish; I can sign into many of the Roku apps that are in my Direct TV subscription using my Direct TV pass word. Others I can sign into on my tablet and use the smart view feature in conjunction with the Roku to watch on the TV without using hotspot data. We also watch a number of the free streaming services like Pluto, Crackle, Filmrise, IMDb, Stremium, etc. 

One problem I ran into is many of the streaming services required you have a home IP address. If you are full-timing that's a problem. The one I ended up with that doesn't require a home address is att tv or whatever it is called now.  About $70/month for basic tv (entertainment).  I have an unlimited verizon data plan that costs about $60/month. 

I use it at home for both data and tv and do the same on the road.

2 hours ago, huckleberryfriend said:

One problem I ran into is many of the streaming services required you have a home IP address. If you are full-timing that's a problem. The one I ended up with that doesn't require a home address is att tv or whatever it is called now.  About $70/month for basic tv (entertainment).  I have an unlimited verizon data plan that costs about $60/month. 

I use it at home for both data and tv and do the same on the road.

Which services required a "home IP?" I've not run into anything like that other than the Spectrum Cable app that limits the channels you can view if you're not connected to a home Spectrum network. I have or have trialed a fair number of streaming services with no problems as we move about the country and switch between AT&T and Verizon cell services fairly often.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Which services required a "home IP?" I've not run into anything like that other than the Spectrum Cable app that limits the channels you can view if you're not connected to a home Spectrum network. I have or have trialed a fair number of streaming services with no problems as we move about the country and switch between AT&T and Verizon cell services fairly often.

Hulu with Live TV requires that the initial sign on be from a "fixed" internet connection; cellular is not acceptable.

YouTube TV only requires that you be back in your home area every 90 days and doesn't care if you use cellular. 

Those are the only two know something about.  It's the same FCC rule relative to watching out of market TV channels which is the reason why DirecTV always made DNS service so difficult to qualify for.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

19 minutes ago, docj said:

Hulu with Live TV requires that the initial sign on be from a "fixed" internet connection; cellular is not acceptable.

YouTube TV only requires that you be back in your home area every 90 days and doesn't care if you use cellular. 

Those are the only two know something about.  It's the same FCC rule relative to watching out of market TV channels which is the reason why DirecTV always made DNS service so difficult to qualify for.

Thanks, Joel. The only thing localized that Hulu asked for awhile back when I did a free trial of "Live" was a ZIP code. The service itself seemed to work ok on both of my cell data services. Maybe they've tightened things up? Unless something has changed recently, I don't believe the FCC has jurisdiction over streaming services.

"The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) does not regulate video streaming service providers, which are also known as online video distributors (OVDs). ... Current laws governing television generally do not address video streaming services.."

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R46545.pdf

Dutch

6 hours ago, huckleberryfriend said:

I believe Sling was also one that required a fixed ip address.  This was all a couple of years ago so it may have changed.

It must have changed... I watch the Sling free channels fairly often with my cell data services as well as subscribing for short periods from time to time.

Dutch

On 8/16/2021 at 10:06 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

Thanks, Joel. The only thing localized that Hulu asked for awhile back when I did a free trial of "Live" was a ZIP code. The service itself seemed to work ok on both of my cell data services. Maybe they've tightened things up? Unless something has changed recently, I don't believe the FCC has jurisdiction over streaming services.

Here's are excerpts from Hulu's website that state that a cellular connection is not acceptable for receiving Hulu Live but that you have 30 day to establish such a "home network".  You were probably able to get the "free trial" to work because you hadn't had it for more than 30 days.

As far as streaming not being controlled by the FCC, all I know is that YouTube TV (which we subscribe to) gets very antsy if you're out of your area for more than a relatively short period of time even though the rule is that you can stay away for 90 days at a time. 

On our last trip, after a week or two we were no longer able to watch our network feed channels in real time.  We could watch them after they had been recorded but not as they were being broadcast.  This problem only affected the major network feeds, not the "cable channels".

Maybe it's not an FCC issue directly, but I wouldn't be surprised if the streaming services have some kind of tacit understanding with the networks that they won't permit people to watch "out of area" programming in real time?

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

6 hours ago, docj said:

Here's are excerpts from Hulu's website that state that a cellular connection is not acceptable for receiving Hulu Live but that you have 30 day to establish such a "home network".  You were probably able to get the "free trial" to work because you hadn't had it for more than 30 days.

As far as streaming not being controlled by the FCC, all I know is that YouTube TV (which we subscribe to) gets very antsy if you're out of your area for more than a relatively short period of time even though the rule is that you can stay away for 90 days at a time. 

On our last trip, after a week or two we were no longer able to watch our network feed channels in real time.  We could watch them after they had been recorded but not as they were being broadcast.  This problem only affected the major network feeds, not the "cable channels".

Maybe it's not an FCC issue directly, but I wouldn't be surprised if the streaming services have some kind of tacit understanding with the networks that they won't permit people to watch "out of area" programming in real time?

live 1.png

hulu.png

Yep, that 30 day thing was likely the answer. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Fortunately, I didn't care for Hulu overall, so it won't be an issue. It does appear to a pretty simple matter to change which locals you get though. It would be interesting to see how well that works using a VPN that wouldn't be seen as a cell signal.

I wouldn't be surprised to find networks, etc, include DMA restrictions in their contracts, but it's not under FCC control.

Dutch

24 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Maybe we use motorcycles in lieu of watching the boob tube ?

It just seemed to me that Noteven was trying to make a joke or take a poke at my post. Maybe they just say in a lot of threads, “I have a motorcycle”  trying to change the topic or be funny? Maybe I should say I breathe air after comments like that. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by rynosback

• 4 weeks later...

All you need to stream is a computer with internet access and a TV. And you only need a TV if you dont want to watch the program on your computer screen. Thats it.

There are several free streaming services out there (we like Pluto the best for our needs) but if you want certain channels, youll have to subscribe to a package that gets them. That will obviously vary in cost.

What we do is stream the free services mostly, pay if its a live event that we HAVE to watch live, and get the rest from the torrent stream the next day.  And spend the rest of our time watching Elon prepare to disrupt the entire cable industry. Go Elon!

I have never had a satellite dish after I sold my C-Band dish.

Traveling it is the crank up antenna first.  Pickings are getting slim there as many of the translator stations have gone off the air.

We do have cable TV at the sticks house and they offer a free service where you can stream almost all of their channels for free while traveling.

That works well.  Except for the smoke and mirrors games played by Verizon.  

I tried to talk my home Escapees park into offering the streaming service at the park, but the young techies live in the park instead of traveling!!

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

10 hours ago, Vladimir said:

I have never had a satellite dish after I sold my C-Band dish.

Traveling it is the crank up antenna first.  Pickings are getting slim there as many of the translator stations have gone off the air.

We do have cable TV at the sticks house and they offer a free service where you can stream almost all of their channels for free while traveling.

That works well.  Except for the smoke and mirrors games played by Verizon.  

I tried to talk my home Escapees park into offering the streaming service at the park, but the young techies live in the park instead of traveling!!

I have an antenna I raise in the air on a pole and usually get at least one of the major networks along with a large assortment of non English and Shopping type channels where ever I park.  I also try to watch the major networks on my computer, but refuse to sign up for their "Streaming" if it comes over the air with commercial free than it should also stream for free is my thought. If they would ever do real no commercial viewing I might pay for it like I do my music streaming, but it doesn't seem like they do. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.