Streaming TV?

How do you watch TV?  Recently a satellite serviceman said satellite TV will be phased out, everything will be streamed.

This is what I understand so far:

1. You need an internet connection and then a device on your TV ie ROKU or Firestick or??
  2. Then you need and APP ie Paramount+, Hulu, Netflix
  3. You can't record like a DVR but can watch most anything on their menu at any time
  4. You can pay for an upgraded service to have fewer commercials

Any tips or tricks, recommended apps or hardware appreciated...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Velos said:

How do you watch TV?  Recently a satellite serviceman said satellite TV will be phased out, everything will be streamed.

This is what I understand so far:

1. You need an internet connection and then a device on your TV ie ROKU or Firestick or??
  2. Then you need and APP ie Paramount+, Hulu, Netflix
  3. You can't record like a DVR but can watch most anything on their menu at any time
  4. You can pay for an upgraded service to have fewer commercials

Any tips or tricks, recommended apps or hardware appreciated...

I quit satellite several years ago, plus my kids have been streaming at their homes for many years. I use a Firestick connected to a Mobley hotspot on the road, and our other TVs at home are newer. The newer TVs have all the apps built in, with a smart Bluetooth remote. The entire system, hardware, software and remote, works incredibly well. Makes us wonder how we managed before. Very happy to "give up" cable and/or satellite. Jay

Built-in apps on "smart TVs" are not always better and often are less useful than using a Roku or Firestick.  Do some research and you'll find plenty of people who agree with this statement.  The problem is that TV apps are rarely updated by the manufacturer after the TV is ~a year old.  By comparison updates to Roku and Firestick firmware is done continuously and automatically.

We switched from satellite to streaming nearly two years ago.  We have several internet connections with the three major carriers and subscribe to YouTube TV and several other streaming services.  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

15 minutes ago, docj said:

Built-in apps on "smart TVs" are not always better and often are less useful than using a Roku or Firestick.  Do some research and you'll find plenty of people who agree with this statement.  The problem is that TV apps are rarely updated by the manufacturer after the TV is ~a year old.  By comparison updates to Roku and Firestick firmware is done continuously and automatically.

We switched from satellite to streaming nearly two years ago.  We have several internet connections with the three major carriers and subscribe to YouTube TV and several other streaming services.  

The first so-called smart TV we had was virtually useless, because the apps were primitive, under developed and difficult to use. I "needed" to upgrade our largest TV for enhanced definition, better backlighting, etc., but the bonus was the fully developed suite of apps. With a remote very similar to a Firestick remote, we can access and view everything with complete ease. In comparison to our Firestick, I'll choose the new integrated system every time. l liked it so much, I replaced two more TVs, just for the smart features. Some things take more time to develop. YMMV Jay

We still maintain a Dish satellite subscription, but also use streaming extensively. We use FireTVsticks on each TV with multiple apps installed mostly offering free programming with a few $5/month subscriptions for streaming OTA TV, etc., and recording capabilities. We sometime subscribe to Netflix or others for just a month if there's some programs we want to catch up on. The biggest downside we find with streaming is the number of locations where the available cell Internet service is inadequate for reliable streaming even with our booster amplifier or MIMO antenna set. We've never landed on a site where we couldn't get a sat signal...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, Jaydrvr said:

I "needed" to upgrade our largest TV for enhanced definition, better backlighting, etc., but the bonus was the fully developed suite of apps

With all due respect, there is no such thing as a suite of fully developed apps.  Even the best phone apps are updated multiple times a year to improve performance and add features.   I'm sure that TV apps aren't all that different.  In fact, I know that there have been multiple updates to the YouTube TV app in the past year. 

There's no incentive for a TV manufacturer to update apps used in TVs from previous model years and I seriously doubt that they bother.  In fact, you are more likely to want to buy a new TV if they don't bother.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I still have sat TV.  I’ve also found cell service sometimes unreliable for streaming, though I only have plans with 2 different carriers.  When I still owned a house, it was in a rural location and my only internet option was satellite internet (I had ViaSat).  The plans are limited so switching to streaming only would have meant watching TV a couple of times a month - the rest of my data was used for keeping software up to date.

Don’t get me wrong, I like streaming.  I had cable internet over the winter at the park I stayed in and signed up for Netflix for the first time.  It’s just that my internet connections have been so erratic that I haven’t been able to get rid of the sat dish yet.  I have run into sites where I can’t get satellite - I’m in one now for a couple of days (towering pine trees all around).  I don’t have much for cell service either, so I’m not watching TV.

32 minutes ago, docj said:

With all due respect, there is no such thing as a suite of fully developed apps.  Even the best phone apps are updated multiple times a year to improve performance and add features.   I'm sure that TV apps aren't all that different.  In fact, I know that there have been multiple updates to the YouTube TV app in the past year. 

There's no incentive for a TV manufacturer to update apps used in TVs from previous model years and I seriously doubt that they bother.  In fact, you are more likely to want to buy a new TV if they don't bother.

I hear what you're saying, but I would suggest that not all app updates are created equal. All too often, the "improvements" are only helpful to the content provider, not the end user. I'm to the point that once I'm happy with how an app works, I avoid updating it until I no longer have a choice. I'm sure it has a fair amount to do with aging, but I really get annoyed when they move everything around so I can't find things and I have to relearn the new arrangement. Maybe when I was younger I wouldn't have cared. Jay

P.S. Getting rid of all those remotes for one single perfect remote trumps everything else, in my book.

Edited by Jaydrvr

37 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

I'm sure it has a fair amount to do with aging, but I really get annoyed when they move everything around so I can't find things and I have to relearn the new arrangement. Maybe when I was younger I wouldn't have cared.

Personally, I think it's attitude not age.  I suspect I'm equally as old as you, but I enjoy working for a high tech company and giving customers half my age assistance with today's evolving technology. 

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Very easy.  I access my internet connection (Spectrum) or on the road (AT&T Mobley hotspot) with my smartphone or laptop and then log onto Amazon Prime, Hulu, Youtube, Roku, etc and begin watching a lot of free or cheap movies.  I use an HDMI cable or cast my movies to the TV or watch everything on the laptop. Lots of good options. 

I have the Roku, firestick, chromecast gadgets but don't really need or use them.  Everything works just fine.  I no longer care for live TV garbage except a few news programs and weather and I can get this just by streaming.  I find everything using google or bing search, etc.  Good luck to you and cheers to the many with jeers to a few.

Retired Acct and SEC CFP.  Former legislative aide and Army Guard and civilian pilot to two Texas Governors.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

QaLGwbZm.jpg

This is only the beginning  

Edited by NamMedevac 70

I understand that the Mobley plans are no longer available except to people who are grandfathered in.  Are there available equivalents?  My Verizon "unlimited" plan throttles back affter 22GB and becomes almost useless for streaming.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

40 minutes ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I understand that the Mobley plans are no longer available except to people who are grandfathered in.  Are there available equivalents?  My Verizon "unlimited" plan throttles back affter 22GB and becomes almost useless for streaming.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Chris and Cherie specialize in mobile internet information. I recommend their site for the most up to date info on current data plans. Jay

https://www.technomadia.com/

3 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Chris and Cherie specialize in mobile internet information. I recommend their site for the most up to date info on current data plans. Jay

https://www.technomadia.com/

I agree with the recommendation but the site you want is this one: Mobile Internet Resource Center

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

3 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

My Verizon "unlimited" plan throttles back affter 22GB and becomes almost useless for streaming.

Check into Verizon's Get More Unlimited Plan -- 50GB of data per month per device plus 30GB per month for the hotspot.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

There is a big difference between people who are staying in a commercial campground and using their internet or have cable at their sites, and people like me who travel and use mobile hotspots for internet connections.  It would cost me a fortune to buy enough gigs of data to stream TV as much as I wanted to. 

So for me, satellite TV is much more cost-effective and reliable, especially since i stay almost entirely in state and national parks. 

15 minutes ago, Solo18 said:

There is a big difference between people who are staying in a commercial campground and using their internet or have cable at their sites, and people like me who travel and use mobile hotspots for internet connections.  It would cost me a fortune to buy enough gigs of data to stream TV as much as I wanted to. 

So for me, satellite TV is much more cost-effective and reliable, especially since i stay almost entirely in state and national parks. 

We primarily use state and national parks as well when we're not at one of our two private sites, and we use cell based Internet almost exclusively with a roughly 50-50 mix of satellite and streaming TV viewing. One of our current unlimited, unthrottled plans is a grandfathered AT&T $23.50/mo Connected Car plan that's no longer offered, but the other one is a currently available Visible/Verizon unlimited talk/text/data plan at $25/mo. It's not uncommon for us to stream 7-8 hours of TV a day, but admittedly there are locations where streaming is difficult due to poor signal reception even with our MIMO antenna set or Max Amp booster. The point though, is that there are plans available that allow extensive streaming at very reasonable prices.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We don't stream TV and never have. What is the advantage of it? We have three TVs in our fifth wheel and are happy with the Direct TV. I have never been to an RV park where their WiFi was able to stream anything. Is it cost? Do you get all of the news? As for movies, I can't do much of that because I fall asleep. My better half records lots of shows that she watches later.

16 minutes ago, whj469 said:

We don't stream TV and never have. What is the advantage of it? We have three TVs in our fifth wheel and are happy with the Direct TV. I have never been to an RV park where their WiFi was able to stream anything. Is it cost? Do you get all of the news? As for movies, I can't do much of that because I fall asleep. My better half records lots of shows that she watches later.

👍  Well said.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

14 minutes ago, whj469 said:

I think there are several factors, one definitely being cost. We spend less than $20 on streaming services and used to spend $60 and way up on satellite or cable service. The other advantage is watching on demand. You can watch on your schedule, not the provider's schedule. I too can't watch a movie without falling asleep. I watch mostly old TV shows from fifty years ago. There's an incredible amount of content online, much of it free. I have to admit, I did struggle to give up satellite, but I don't miss it at all. Jay

On 6/8/2021 at 7:07 PM, Velos said:

How do you watch TV? 

Raise the antenna . Turn on the TV . Scan for what's there . 

If something is to our liking , I watch . If not , I don't . Fine , either way .

Other than the amount of juice used , we've never paid to watch advertising . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Well said Jaydrvr.  There is nothing immoral about streaming movies, etc, and I love it as has worked perfect for me almost everywhere on the road fishing and camping trips and two unlimited internet services for less than $100.00 per month.  One for sticks and bricks and the AT&T mobley for travel with good reception.  Can also watch other stuff such as news, weather, etc.  If I wanted to I can save more money by using Mobley at the house and have done so in the past.

I don't miss overpriced  TV shows that are a lot of 20 to 50 year reruns of same thing over and over.  Don't care for most of the new live programing as it is just g           .   I never have any problems finding my free, and/or discounted cheap services such as Prime, Roku, Hulu, Youtube, etc., etc.  I now have Hulu for only $1.95 per month as trial that I will drop soon.  Watch tons of free movies from many no charge services such as Crackle, etc.  

I do not disparage satellite TV but those knuckle heads who disparage streaming do so out of pure American jealously yankee style.  Too Bad.  Happy Camper here.  I cannot see comments from certain persons.  Cheers to some.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

6UIVf24m.jpg

This is just the beginning of

Edited by NamMedevac 70