I guess it's time...

To upgrade my generator.  I have a single Honda 2200i and it has, and does work flawless.  Generator is not the problem, this unreal.. freaking high heat is.  I sat my camper next to my stick n bricks/power outlet.  It has hit over 100 for several days in a row.  The 20 amp circuit keeps popping, can't keep the 30 amp campers AC going, no surprise there... LOL  it works good on cooler days 70-80f outside but not this freaking heat!  My daughter wants to stay in it and work UN-interupted during the day... 0h-well.  This generator will also not work in this heat, the AC is working over-time and causing a fail/shut-down on the gen. also.  Yes, I asked a certified electrician to run a 50 amp to the outside of garage for campers but he is so far a no show.

I'm looking at one of several things.  The honda has a companion 2200i that says linked, they supply 30 amps.  I can pick one up at ~$1,200.  OR, is a better choice the Predator 3500 at ~$850, single unit supplying 30 amp.  Predators, I have read reviews all over the place from best ever to biggest piece of manure ever made.  I know the Honda is a great gen set, has not failed us in the time we've had it.  I'm also thinking if our next camper does not come with a gen set, I would like to be able to run a 50 amp camper on it with no problems.  For economy, or not having to carry alot of gas cans, the honda I think is the most fuel efficient, even if I must run 2 at same time.  They both are fairly quiet so no problem there.  We do alot of boondocking so must be in the consideration.  Ability to run the AC during the heat of the day is mandatory as my wife can no longer take high heat.

For my plans stated above, what say y'all?

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I think that if it were me, I would get the second Honda 2200i and parallel them. I have no experience with the Predators, but the Honda reviews are consistently good so that would give it a big edge in my book. That would also have the advantage of not running both when only the 2200 is needed and be much less weight to move, 1 unit at a time. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, NDBirdman said:

For my plans stated above, what say y'all?

I say make the topic title about your question so we know whether or not we can help you before having to read a long post.

Linda

Yes, I do have some pet peeves.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

That's kinda where I'm leaning Kurt.  Much easier on fuel but when we pick-up our next RV it will more than likely be a 50 amp.  2 Honda gen sets would not be a good fit with bigger power requirements I think.  It will probably be a toy hauler, if so I will make sure it has an on-board generator for sure.  BUT, there's still a possibility of a Class A.... this darn RAM is a son of a gun to back with a camper... LOL  I just hate hauling 2 around but on the other hand, I can handle lifting 2, one at a time.  The other one is lot heavier.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

24 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Me too....

The Predators are incredibly fussy, when it comes to maintenance. I've rescued 3 of them, 2 smaller gens, and 1 of the 3kw. Change the oil, soak the carbs, soak them again, then retune the carbs after pulling out every set screw. They're decent rigs, but they're no Honda. Their big advantage is price, their disadvantage is their fussiness and parts availability.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

You could also install an easy start on your AC.  That should let the Honda run it without overwhelming it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I bought the Predator 3500 to run the 5th wheel while parked on my property and build our house.  Used it for 6 months while building, in the CA summer heat and then used while boondocking for the last 3 yrs and it now has about 600 hrs on it and still running good.  One thing I do is not leave gas in it if I store it for more then a month or two without stabilizer.  I've got my moneys worth out of it three times fold.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

10 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

You could also install an easy start on your AC.  That should let the Honda run it without overwhelming it.

I wondered about that.  It starts just fine, it's popping the breakers while working/cooling.  I'm wondering if the compressor is starting to wear out and causing it from running constantly.  Up til now, it's ran off the generator with no problems for several years.  I'm also thinking it's an 11k AC, it's not very big but will cool down the RV quite well, til now.  The camper is 19 yrs old with all original appliances.

Edited by NDBirdman

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Run capacitor test time.

Explain please?

Today, it ran an hour then pop.  Now it's been running ~5 hours without a problem, 85 degrees out.  This is house 20amp circuit. 

I’m curious about what the run capacitor is and how one would go about testing it.  I’m absolutely clueless about air conditioners and specifically RV rooftop AC units.  I’m having sort-of a similar problem.  How would I go about finding out more about that?

At the moment I’m on the verge of replacing my air conditioner unit as I’m not sure that an Easy-Start or SoftStart will completely solve my issue.  It would definitely help with the compressor surge but my AC is also drawing more power than it should once it’s already running.

2 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

I’m curious about what the run capacitor is and how one would go about testing it.  I’m absolutely clueless about air conditioners and specifically RV rooftop AC units.  

Another video that may be helpful.

fixing the run capacitor on our travel trailer air conditioner

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

After a few Louisiana summers with some 110° temps where in 1971 going over 95° becoming the norm we needed a solution too. RVrs know where it is cooler in summer both at elevation and further up North. RVrs may be more open to a move north like I did before the big rush. It is getting much hotter in the South and regardless of what you attribute it to, that is a fact.

So follow the RVrs rule and don't be parked where it is hot in summer. While we are a gutsy group willing to travel where stationaries don't get it, moving a home base may be a total solution to high utilities and wear and tear on equipment. With the humidity, winter in NW LA was awful too.

Just a thought.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 6/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, sandsys said:

I say make the topic title about your question so we know whether or not we can help you before having to read a long post.

Linda

Agree with "sandsys"!  Started to read it......but tooo loooong ...

Sorry -  I didn't know about "having to read" a long post...☹️

However, NamMedic would prob like to initiate debate...😉

7 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Agree with "sandsys"!  Started to read it......but tooo loooong ...

Sorry -  I didn't know about "having to read" a long post...☹️

However, NamMedic would prob like to initiate debate...😉

????????????  What's up Doc.  Am I missing something important or interesting??

Retired Acct & SEC CFP

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

LWv0Gz6m.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70