Honda generator fail! Poor Honda quality! OMG!

That's how you are supposed to title a drama post, right?

Anyways, it happened. 

My Honda 2000 had a rejected start. I pull him 20 times he says "Nope." 

Primed the cylinder and it runs on full choke only. 

I sez: "DANG it!"

That will learn me for not draining the gasohol and getting straight synthetic gas (I use Aspen) into it before storage last fall. 

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• noteven changed the title to Honda generator fail! Poor Honda quality! OMG!

I owned a Honda 2000i that I bought used from a neighbor which I carried around for 6 years and also used occasionally at home and never bought any special gasoline for it. I did always keep a separate can of gasoline to use in it that was treated with Stabil when filling the container at the gas pump. The other thing that I did was to remove the fuel from the tank and then burn it dry before putting it into storage for long term. In all of that time the only starting issue that I ever had was that it took several pulls to get fuel back into the carb after it was run dry. In my opinion, the Honda portable generators set the gold standard for portable generators. Even the very best engine will have issues if it is neglected. 

A neighbor of ours who had the same generator as mine use to keep a spray can of starting fluid and use that to get his Honda started if it sat with fuel in it for a long time. If you do that, just remove the air cleaner and use the fluid sparingly. 

Edited by Kirk W
correct typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have a pair of Honda EU2000i generators (10 years old) that are trouble free and reliable.  These little generators have small carbs and the ports are very small and easily subjected to fouling by fuel if left.  I ALWAYS keep SeaFoam in the fuel for the generator.  After a use, if it is going to set for more than a week, you must remove the side cover and drain the fuel from the carb.  Honda EU2000i does not have fuel shut off as it has a fuel pump and not a gravity fed fuel system.

You might save a carb overhaul if you dumped the fuel in the tank. drained the carb, and refueled with a heavy dose SeaFoam and got the unit running again for a few minutes to get the SeaFoam into the carb.  You may need to run it choked to get it to run.   Let it set for a couple of days and try restarting it.  It may take a few cycles to get the crud out of the carb.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I came across this thread at another forum last year when having starting issues with my Honda generator (I let the gas stay in the carb and it would not start), even pictures to help if needed ;). Easy diy job. 

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29903263.cfm

2016 F350 DRW Supercab XLT 4x4 6.7 3:73LS 
2010 Carriage Cameo 34CK3   1,280 watt solar

I have a Firman 2000i inverter generator that i bought at Costco for half the price sportsman warehouse wanted for same generator.  Have used it heavily and has all the same bells and whistles for RV use, UsB, etc.  It runs quiet like a honda. Should have bought two at that sale price. No problems at all and I use Stabil in the tank and fuel cans just as I did with my previous Champion 3500 for years with never any hiccups.  I sold my Champion in a used but new condition.  More than I needed and too heavy. Cheers to the good guys.

Retired Acct and SEC CFP.   Former pilot to two Texas Governors and legislative aide.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

T17lRpHm.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

And of course it has nothing to do with the "quality" of the genny... I was just having some fun with the title...

It was 100% owner oops. 

Kirk I use Aspen gas in a chain saw that gets started maybe 3 times a year now. It goes first pull. It's not the gas you use for everyday all day running. 

I had plans to service this Honda with it last fall so if we lost power here this winter at 20 below I would have a genny that would start to keep the furnaces in the trailer lit.  I guess I didn't do that and I guess we didn't need it hahaha... good thing. 

Just to reinforce not to do it again I am going to wait until a beautiful motorcycling day to clean the carb rather than ride a bike.  The pain will reinforce the lesson. 

I thought I might rescue the situation with a rich mixture of sea foam - but nope the little bugger ran for 30 minutes with full choke on.  Reduce choke - splutter spit phart splutter - take choke off - dies.  

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Kirk I use Aspen gas in a chain saw that gets started maybe 3 times a year now. It goes first pull. It's not the gas you use for everyday all day running. 

You just educated me on a product that I wasn't aware existed, Aspen Fuel. I have never used any of those products but have seen TruFuel at Home Depot & Walmart but have never used it either. 

After checking the prices, I can see why you don't use it all of the time.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

You just educated me on a product that I wasn't aware existed, Aspen Fuel. I have never used any of those products but have seen TruFuel at Home Depot & Walmart but have never used it either. 

After checking the prices, I can see why you don't use it all of the time.

I believe it has a 7 year shelf life. 

I believe it was developed by a one armed pro gardener who could only get his weed whacker started 1/2 the time…

Edited by noteven

I'm spoilt. 

We can buy 91 non ethanol gas here. 

What was my excuse? Yup late last summer I filled the wee Honda with 87 10% ethanol gasohol. "I gotta remember to drain that." I sez to myself...

Did I mention the Onan 5500 in the Big Toyhauler that sat the exact same number of days unstarted has 91 non ethanol Shell V-power that is 1-1/2 years old in it's tank?

Did I mention it started fine?  🤣

hemstead yes I will be learned once I get Little Red goin again. It hasn't made the top of the list yet but close. 

I'm tellin ya some days I'm going to get business cards made:  "Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius" except with my name not his if you know what I mean...

And all this info goes to any small gasoline motor in use. (including that neglected lawn mower that been sitting out in the weather all winter out behind the garage).   sad the pump fuel is watered down with junk that make the fuel go bad in a month or two, and damages the whole fuel system.

On 6/6/2021 at 6:11 AM, noteven said:

That's how you are supposed to title a drama post, right?

Anyways, it happened. 

My Honda 2000 had a rejected start. I pull him 20 times he says "Nope." 

Primed the cylinder and it runs on full choke only. 

I sez: "DANG it!"

That will learn me for not draining the gasohol and getting straight synthetic gas (I use Aspen) into it before storage last fall. 

Dumb clickbait title. 

If you don't use it for a while gotta drain it dry...even the carb bowl if you got one. Begin in haste...repent at leisure. Can't shortcut it. 

There’s a very small jet that can get clogged by bad fuel. You can buy a special jet wire kit to unclog or just get a new jet. I ended up just getting a new jet for a couple of bucks. Afterwards I managed fuel storage better, I no longer have it but it still runs great for the current owner.

Honda 200 generator, hand to start and then had to play with the choke for a while before it would run on its own, Had gen. for 12 years with no problems.  So I found that there is a filter/ fuel pump/ fuel accumulator on the inside of the main cover on the pull rope side.  $35 for a new one at Honda. Replaces in about a hour and runs on the second pull,  choke off. Might give it a look. This filter/ pump is between the fuel tank and the carburetor.  NO they made this so you cant clean it and as far as I know, Honda.   Honda filter /pump has 3  hose ports and most other have 2  hose ports. Good luck  OU812

• 11 months later...

Guys I ran a business repairing and selling small engines. We used repair tags wire to clean passages in those carbs. 
And carb cleaner. That tag wire was perfect size. That was a common job.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 5:50 PM, Itinerant1 said:

I came across this thread at another forum last year when having starting issues with my Honda generator (I let the gas stay in the carb and it would not start), even pictures to help if needed ;). Easy diy job. 

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29903263.cfm

Awesome link, thanks for sharing.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire