Looking for licence plate info from Colorado regestered MDTs

Blown32

Registered my 2008 Sportchassis today and ended up with a single red "TVW" commercial/fleet plate.  I looked through the applicable Colorado statutes and I think it could have been plated as a pick up as they have weight categories with standard truck plates over 20k.  I had a person on the phone convinced (I walked them through the state statutes) to change them out.  Then waited in line again and got told no, called that person back and they said their supervisor overturned her.  They say that it's tractor and has to have the red plates.    

So, how are other Colorado MDTs plated? 

Thanks in advance

Allen

I have a HDT plated in CO.  It has recreational plates.  Licensed this HDT about 16 years ago and never had a problem.  However, beginning about 4 years ago I have had to fill out a paper declaring weights and miles driven every year.  Not a big deal as long as gross weights don't exceed 55,000 pounds and a mileage limit that I can't remember but is more than we do.  If our HDT were to be over the 55,00 pounds or driven to many miles there seems to be a federal tax that needs to be paid before the new tags are issued.   With recreational plates a CDL isn't required but the plates would need to be changed for any commercial use.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

That's very interesting. I did not know before today that the IRS Heavy Vehicle Use Tax was not strictly a commercial thing. I file mine every year for 66,000#, but there's nothing on the form about mileage. There's also nothing about commercial vs. non-commercial. It's just for anything over 54,999#. Obviously, state laws will vary. Okay, I learned my thing for today. Jay

2 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I have a HDT plated in CO.  It has recreational plates.

Which is exactly what the OP should have his truck licensed as IF it is only used for recreational or personal transport. Whoever at that DMV sold this line of BS needs to be sent back for education.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Before I bought the HDT I checked with the DMV about plates.  Recreational plates were available and only required a weight (they even recommended a place that would certify they had weighed the truck) and just declare recreational use.  The plates have RT to signify recreational truck.  An HDT can also be licensed as a motor home if certain conditions are met.  Unfortunately the personnel at the DMV don't always give accurate information.  When I inquired about if a CDL is needed I was told it was but a class B would be sufficient even though I was towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 pounds.  A CDL isn't required.  Colorado plates are not cheap and any savings is welcomed.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

The plates have RT to signify recreational truck. 

And you do not even need RT plates to register as a recreational vehicle. My son has Broncos plates and they are registered RT, I used to have US Navy plates that were registered RT. It is all about finding a clerk that knows what the heck they are talking about and knows how to use the (somewhat complicated) computer system.

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

And you do not even need RT plates to register as a recreational vehicle. My son has Broncos plates and they are registered RT, I used to have US Navy plates that were registered RT. It is all about finding a clerk that knows what the heck they are talking about and knows how to use the (somewhat complicated) computer system.

5 hours ago, Randyretired said:

Before I bought the HDT I checked with the DMV about plates.  Recreational plates were available and only required a weight (they even recommended a place that would certify they had weighed the truck) and just declare recreational use.  The plates have RT to signify recreational truck.  An HDT can also be licensed as a motor home if certain conditions are met.  Unfortunately the personnel at the DMV don't always give accurate information.  When I inquired about if a CDL is needed I was told it was but a class B would be sufficient even though I was towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 pounds.  A CDL isn't required.  Colorado plates are not cheap and any savings is welcomed.

10 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I have a HDT plated in CO.  It has recreational plates.  Licensed this HDT about 16 years ago and never had a problem.  However, beginning about 4 years ago I have had to fill out a paper declaring weights and miles driven every year.  Not a big deal as long as gross weights don't exceed 55,000 pounds and a mileage limit that I can't remember but is more than we do.  If our HDT were to be over the 55,00 pounds or driven to many miles there seems to be a federal tax that needs to be paid before the new tags are issued.   With recreational plates a CDL isn't required but the plates would need to be changed for any commercial use.

Yes, 100% non-commercial.  Recreational, towing my camper and other trailers (basically using it like a big dually). 

I'm going to try again with a photo of the door label that states it is a "heavy duty pickup"

I really think this is a case of "I told you something and will not listen to what you have to say and my supervisor is backing me up no matter what the regs say".  

I don't think I'll have any success as it appears the DMV has taken a stand regardless of the facts.  If anyone has any ammunition I can use to help make my case it would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe a copy of a registration showing a Sportchassis that is registered in Colorado as a pick up would be the smoking gun I would need to make them open their minds.....

Door Sticker.jpg

You could always go to a different DMV office. You might have to wait a year as well. I had to gather up evidence to show that I could have my US Navy plates and still register as a recreational truck then the following year when I went for renewal I showed it to the clerk. Her response was "Who told you you couldn't?" SMH.

Look for other Sport Chassis truck and snap pics of their plates.

My truck is not licensed in Colorado but for insurance purposes I'm insured as a Motor Home. Maybe your insurance company can help with some back up materials.

Clay 2015 Sport Chassis

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C