RV Microwaves

tylerm96

Hi everyone!

Recently I bought a used RV and now have to get a few things including a microwave. Browsed a couple of websites like https://highskyrvparts.com/rv-parts/appliances/rv-microwaves and it seems that the prices on RV microwaves are on average 50-70 dollars higher.

Can't I just get a regular one? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Edited by tylerm96

Welcome to the Escapee forums. The only thing special about an RV microwave is the way that it mounts into the cabinets. When ours failed I removed it, modified the area to a shelf with some hold downs for it and bought the new one at Lowe's.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The only thing special about an RV microwave is the way that it mounts into the cabinets.

Quite a few RVs use standard "Over the Range 30"" microwave ovens that don't require any special accommodations.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Also, you will need to be careful how the microwave vents.  Many home microwaves vent on the sides, but at least the one I have in my motorhome vents in the back, so it is hard to find a replacement.  And you do have to make sure it is securely fastened down so it does not go flying during a hard stop!! 

Big tip:  Before you drive, always make sure your microwave door is shut securely.  If not, glass plate will fly out and break into a million pieces.  And I know from experience they are VERY hard to replace just the glass plate.  Luckily, I found an RV dealer who always kept the plates and the turntable plastic things when he had to trash a microwave!!  He had a whole box of them. 

When we replaced our microwave last year, had it delivered from BestBuy, and the only modification needed was to change the vent diverter from pointing up to pointing out the back.  Otherwise, the installation was fairly straight forward.

take some measurements and get an inverter microwave(not just the same old type that cycles 100% power). The inverter type runs constant at whatever power level you set it at(reduced power level and better food heating). perfect for limited power situations like an rv/generator use. I ordered a Panasonic NN-SA651S off amazon. they're not expensive, but you'll love the way it heats. have in my house as well. just have to be sure you anchor it in place & I drilled more vent holes in the cabinet blank off above it.

9 hours ago, Solo18 said:

Before you drive, always make sure your microwave door is shut securely.  If not, glass plate will fly out and break into a million pieces.

And if you leave the turntable plate in it bounces madly.  Some microwaves have internal sensors (Our Sharp microwave/convection is one)  It is also fragile.  When we move we put the plate on the sear of a recliner.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

And if you leave the turntable plate in it bounces madly.  Some microwaves have internal sensors (Our Sharp microwave/convection is one)  It is also fragile.  When we move we put the plate on the sear of a recliner.

Wayne & Jinx

Hmm , you folks must drive like you're in a wreck em derby . 

I've been driving our Monaco for 11 years and never once has the turn table come out of the Sharp . I've never even heard a rattle from it .

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

Hmm , you folks must drive like you're in a wreck em derby . 

I've been driving our Monaco for 11 years and never once has the turn table come out of the Sharp . I've never even heard a rattle from it .

Wonder if it is a case of motorhome versus trailer when it comes to the bouncing inside?  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

9 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Wonder if it is a case of motorhome versus trailer when it comes to the bouncing inside?  

I'm sure there's a difference . I do see 'some' trailers that seem to bob down the road . Generally , those are the ones seen laying upside down just a while after . Some folks pull way too fast and have the load in the wrong places . 

Goes around , comes around .

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Absolutely!  A fiver is a constant 7.4 earthquake.  At that is traveling at 60 mph max with an improved suspension.  And we are loaded properly (Smartweigh confirmed).

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Having had both, a motorhome will always have a better ride, mostly because they are intended to have people in them. Most trailers don't even have any shock absorbers. The diesels that have air ride are by far better than any of the trailers or other motorhomes either. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ah, come-on gals and guys.  Vibration in the living space, while driving is dependent on it's suspension, it's frame and for trailers, how it is connected to its truck.  

My huge diesel truck's suspension is air with shock absorbers for every wheel, and my hitch is supported by 4 air bags and has two connecting it to my trailer is air.  And my 5th wheel trailer has a 6 wheel independent suspension (https://www.morryde.com/products/independent-suspension-system/) that is equal to or better than the motor home anyone on this forum has, or had.

Living space vibration is not a generic motor home vs trailer debate. 

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

We even left things on the kitchen and bath counters in the motorhome and they didn't move.  We had loose table chairs and recliners and they didn't move.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I drive a 32' motorhome, and the plate fell out because I had stopped at a rest area to heat food up for lunch.  My error was not making sure the microwave door was thoroughly latched when I was done.  (I always check cabinet doors and such before I head out in the morning.)  However, even when it is latched, the plate has often bounced around inside to the point where it is no longer sitting on the middle pin correctly.

My recliner does not move, but anything on my kitchen counter does move, especially if I am on a highway with lots of small chuckholes. 

7 hours ago, DanZemke said:

my 5th wheel trailer has a 6 wheel independent suspension (https://www.morryde.com/products/independent-suspension-system/) that is equal to or better than the motor home anyone on this forum has, or had.

My observation is that fivers with that level of vibration absorption are only slightly more common than hen's teeth.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

Our microwave tray used to bounce out of place once in awhile on particularly rough roads. Since we started putting a loaf of bread or a package of rolls on the tray before heading out, it hasn't happened again.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

We even left things on the kitchen and bath counters in the motorhome and they didn't move.  We had loose table chairs and recliners and they didn't move.

We've always left some things on the counter while traveling.  Most don't go anywhere.  However, ask me how I know not leave the coffee grinder out!  😁

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We have left a pair of sunglasses on a 3 inch wide smooth shelf and they never moved. We forgot to take down a picture on the bedroom wall and it was still there 5 hours later. I’ve heard of all kinds of stories about it’s like an “earthquake” and I think a lot of it depends on the trailer or fifth wheel and driving habits. We left a roll of paper towels standing on end on the counter from Tennessee to Illinois and never fell over. Must not be that rough in the fiver

A lot depends on the weight of the trailer. Physics is a great thing. Our fiver weighs about 20,000# and inertia keeps everything in pretty good shape inside. We do, or rather my DW does, carefully batten everything down, but even when we forget something, it's still pretty much in the same place at the end of the day. That is, unless it's a miserably rough road. Then there's bound to be some Mixmaster effect. Jay

If you don't have an oven you might want to consider a combination microwave/convection oven unit. I have a Panasonic inverter type in my motorhome and my house. I hardly use the microwave function in my motorhome but use the convection oven a lot. I've cooked up to a 13 pound turkey in mine.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN