Smart car tires

GlennWest

Just a heads up y'all. I needed two rear tires. Thread wear indicates showing. Just contacted local mom and pop tire store. Told them 2017 Smartcar and size. They put there brand on. Handling went south. Researched them and rating poor on handling. Too soft sidewalls. They making it good. Just wanted to mention this so one doesn't make same mistake. Just because it good on bigger cars/trucks doesn't mean it will on our Smarts. Landsail is tire they put on.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Thanks for the info.  Just put 4 new on a 2016.  Had to wait a month for tire shop to get the front ones.  Continental.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

The Continentals on our 2006 Passion were terrible. Replaced them with 185/55R15 Hankooks and they transformed both ride and handling for the better.

Our 2011 and current 2013 are noticeably better riding.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

On 6/3/2021 at 11:25 AM, GlennWest said:

My rear tires always go first. Lots of thread on fronts. 

And that is why I changed my rims. I have the same size tires and wheels all the way around so I can rotate my tires. I put 195/50/15's and 6" wide wheels on all 4 corners.

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

20 hours ago, Big5er said:

And that is why I changed my rims. I have the same size tires and wheels all the way around so I can rotate my tires. I put 195/50/15's and 6" wide wheels on all 4 corners.

Yes, but you have a 451 and mine not.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, DanZemke said:

"And that is why I changed my rims."

Sounds good to me.  That's what I expect to do, later this year.  What are the downsides , if any, you've experienced? 

None. It rides better, too.

2014 smart Fortwo

23 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I don't think we have the wheel clearance on the newer Smarts. Know my previous 451 had lots of clearance.

So go reasoned of the smart car forums and find out. Trust me, someone at one of them has the answer.

2014 smart Fortwo

Yes, but mine a 453. Wider tract also. Mine haldles great or did until those tires were put on. Also have found larger tires hurt performance.

Edited by GlennWest

On 6/3/2021 at 8:47 AM, GlennWest said:

Just a heads up y'all. I needed two rear tires. Thread wear indicates showing. Just contacted local mom and pop tire store. Told them 2017 Smartcar and size. They put there brand on. Handling went south. Researched them and rating poor on handling. Too soft sidewalls. They making it good. Just wanted to mention this so one doesn't make same mistake. Just because it good on bigger cars/trucks doesn't mean it will on our Smarts. Landsail is tire they put on.

Some years ago I replaced just the rear tires on a pickup.  I wanted snow tires.  The local shop sold us some Cooper tires and I drove home.  Problem was it wondered all over the road and was a challenge to stay in my lane at hwy speeds.  The local shop first insisted the front end on my pu must need repair.  He drove the pu and said that is dangerous.   Finally he put the old tires on and the pu was safe to drive again.  He contacted Cooper and they said some tires just don't play well with others and authorized a return.  Changed brands to another snow tire and all was well.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 6/11/2021 at 10:08 PM, GlennWest said:

Yes, but mine a 453. Wider tract also. Mine haldles great or did until those tires were put on. Also have found larger tires hurt performance.

Performance? This IS a smart car we are talking about. It's not exactly what I would call a performance built car to begin with.

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo