Neck pain

Lance A Lott

I love my Volvo except it kills my neck. I feel like I need a neck brace, its fine until I hit a dip or pot hole bridge expansion joints can be bad as well. I also get very sore between my shoulder blades. I have driven school buses for 39 years and this never happened with them. I am wondering if it's the seat not being restrained at my desired seat hight, my bus has a strap that could be adjusted to limit up travel so I could put more air and so limit down speed. Any suggestions? I feel like some if those drivers on Ice Road Truckers who drove to fast for road conditions lol.

I have found that riding with the air out of the seat and it all the way down helps. The air ride cab limits the shock. I also watch for tire skid marks on the pavement and will either slow down or change lanes.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Are you unlocking the seat so it can float forward and backward, as well as up and down? I know when I don't release the seat lock, I get that back slap and the headache that goes along with it to remind me. Jay

P.S. How old are your cab air bags? As they age, they get flaccid like an old worn out balloon. Then they no longer can support the cab and they'll bottom out against the stops. I can tell you from experience, that's very painful for the back and neck. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

How do you unlock a seat?

On my seat there's a handle under the front right side of the cushion. You tilt it down to lock it and tilt it up to unlock it. I'm sure other seats likely have different layouts and locations, but I think every seat I've seen has the backslap release somewhere. My back hurts just thinking about riding it locked. I DO need to lock it for local driving, because it's hard to use the pedals with it unlocked, especially with my short legs. Actually, I drop the seat all the way down for local driving as well. I lift and unlock again as soon I'm on the highway. Obviously, it would be much easier with an automatic transmission, but I have to deal with the clutch and the Super 10. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

My seats are National 2000 they do have a retainer strap but it is so long that with them full of air they are only snug. I have it in the sliding position already. If I let all the air out I couldn't see over the steering wheel and I'm 5' 10" so that won't work. I am not adverse to a seat change but moving to Arizona, the trip with the U Haul is Saturday then the Volvo with the flatbed and the farm tractor July 1st ish then the 1 ton with the horse trailer the end of July  so no time for a seat chainge. 

55 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

My seats are National 2000 they do have a retainer strap but it is so long that with them full of air they are only snug. I have it in the sliding position already. If I let all the air out I couldn't see over the steering wheel and I'm 5' 10" so that won't work. I am not adverse to a seat change but moving to Arizona, the trip with the U Haul is Saturday then the Volvo with the flatbed and the farm tractor July 1st ish then the 1 ton with the horse trailer the end of July  so no time for a seat chainge. 

For best comfort, it's better not to be up against the stop or down on the bottom. The seat needs to float free. Jay

• 1 month later...

I wonder if you couldn't make some adjustment changes to the seat to fix the ergonomics issue which is inflaming your neck.  Perhaps look only to see how it should be set then try some changes.

My guess is that you are sitting to high and the looking down is what is causing your issues but I could be totally wrong.  Maybe do some online searching for OTR ergo's.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

On 6/1/2021 at 9:29 AM, Lance A Lott said:

I love my Volvo except it kills my neck. I feel like I need a neck brace, its fine until I hit a dip or pot hole bridge expansion joints can be bad as well. I also get very sore between my shoulder blades. I have driven school buses for 39 years and this never happened with them. I am wondering if it's the seat not being restrained at my desired seat hight, my bus has a strap that could be adjusted to limit up travel so I could put more air and so limit down speed. Any suggestions? I feel like some if those drivers on Ice Road Truckers who drove to fast for road conditions lol.

I put Donval bags on my steer axle and Donval restrictors on my rear airbags. I leave the back slapper off on both seats. Driven from coast to coast twice with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Brings fond memories, had Nationals in the Volvo, night and day between those and four pickups I wore out and two MDTs I cursed. Chucking sucks that's why anti-chucking was the first thing I designed into the ET before anything else. In pickup and MDT days it was pillow strapped to the headrest and often foam horse collar in addition. And consciously letting the head move rather than keeping it stiff and straight. In the Volvo once I was on the straight and level I would release the forward and back travel in the seat, usually this was all we used. Truck had new cab airbags and shocks. Forward and back motion is not nice when parking, backing in or anytime you are jerking the truck and trying to feather that throttle, that why I used it primarily for highway driving.

Edited by phoenix2013

I have 6 discs out in my back/neck and spinal arthritis, finding a comfortable position in any seat is a challenge !  I am a truck driver and moved to volvo for the comfort.  I found the national seats that come with it have lots a adjustments and rather backwards to what you think for getting comfortable.  I was always use to leaning back to get comfortable and had the seat look like a lazy boy recliner, not in the volvo !  I found sitting at a 90 degrees to the base, all parts of the back rest  touching my back and supporting me has worked well.  I removed on my truck the elastic straps in the seat cushion and replaced it with metal straps has helped a ton.  No more cushin sag, better support and adjust the air ride as needed when driving.  I drive up to 11 hours a day and the volvo national seat has worked great once I got used to adjusting it.  Soon it will be time to replace the cushins due to wearing out.