Looking for location to weigh RV in Arizona or Oregon

Hello,

Does anyone know a location to weigh RVs in Arizona or Oregon?  We are currently in AZ (May 2021) and will be leaving for Oregon in 7-10 days (June).  We are planning to travel to Montana/Wyoming in August/September.

We were hoping to weigh our RV the proper way, but as most of you know, currently the only places available through Escapees are in Texas and Florida.  We also checked RVSEF and were told to try weighing at a CAT station until we have a chance to weigh it the correct way.

We would appreciate any additional suggestions or thoughts on weighing at CAT stations in AZ or Oregon including recommendations.   

Thanks so much!   

Valerie and Ernest Mayer

Just about all truck stops have a scale that can give you a weight for each axle as well as the total weight of the RV. I have used those many times over the years and while that won't give you the individual wheel weights, it will address what your weights are as compared to the axle weight ratings of your RV. There are a few truck scales that do not have anything to prevent you from weighing a second time by straddling the edge of the scale, thus putting one wheel of each axel on the scale pad while the other is on solid ground, to thus get one side so that you can use simple math to determine the weight on each wheel. Those are not common today as most truck scales now have something to prevent that. If part of the reason you are planning to visit WY this summer is to attend Escapade, you can get weighed there as Smart Weigh will be there.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Using a CAT scale is easy. You drive onto the scale so that each axel is on a different plate. Then you push the call button. When asked for your number say "private". They will weigh the rig then give you the scale ticket when you go inside to pay. That information can tell you whether you need to shift things front and back for your axel weights or get rid of some things altogether. :)  Their website has a locator--https://catscale.com.

When you can get an each wheel weight you will also learn about shifting things right and left. 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Most truck stops have a CAT scale.

All moving companies have scales.

All junkyards, excuse me metal recycling center, have scales.

Method for motorhomes - drive on until drive axle is just off platform that's front axle. Then way entire unit. Then drive forward so front axle is off the platform.  Side weight is a little tricky. You need about two feet of level side clearance to get just one side on the platform. So four weights will yield all the corner and axle weights. Yes individual weights are ideal but this method will get you close to actual.

Good luck, 

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Most Oregon DOT scales are active (ON) even when the scales are "closed".  If you happen to find one (mostly on the secondary highways (US97 for example).  If you find one that says CLOSED go ahead and use it.  Easy to get each axle weight and then back up and weigh only one side and calculate the other.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

30 minutes ago, noteven said:

Escapees North Ranch near Congress, AZ has an RV weigh service - you can weigh each wheel position for detailed results / adjustments. 

According to the Escapees SmartWeigh website, they are closed until further notice.

9 hours ago, lenp said:

Most Oregon DOT scales are active (ON) even when the scales are "closed".  If you happen to find one (mostly on the secondary highways (US97 for example).  If you find one that says CLOSED go ahead and use it.  Easy to get each axle weight and then back up and weigh only one side and calculate the other.

Lenp

Oregon truck scales - mostly closed on weekends - are still active and open to all.
I've used the one at the Farewell Bend State Park many times.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

On two-lane mostly back roads in Oregon, there are weigh scales that are in a pullover, and never manned.  To my knowledge, they are open every day, 24 hours a day.   In fact, there is no booth for someone to sit or stand in.  If you see such a weigh station, just pull in slowly and put your front tires on the metal plate and look at the number that will display on the pole in front of you.  Then pull forward and do the same thing with your rear tires.  Obviously, there is no charge for this as there is no one to take money! 

These are NOT the big ones on the freeways that truckers are required to stop at!!  I think they are intended for logging trucks, but i am not sure.  Here is a listing and a map.  https://www.allstays.com/c/weigh-scales-oregon-locations-map.htm

be careful as the state scales are know to be off. as in giving the wrong weights.

go to any CAT scale and your weight will be exact. (only by axle not by wheel) and the price is very low. for us truckers they even go to court on your behalf if the state says otherwise.

i can not say for other states but here in ca at a privet scale you must state for personal use only.    a state gotcha for taxes.

5 hours ago, packnrat said:

be careful as the state scales are know to be off. as in giving the wrong weights.

As in, you weren't really overweight?  Maybe the scale operator put his thumb on the scale just to cheat you?   😷

17 hours ago, Kirk W said:

As in, you weren't really overweight?  Maybe the scale operator put his thumb on the scale just to cheat you?   😷

Underweight, possibly.  I scaled at the state scale at Farewell Bend and came up 50 lbs below GVWR.   The camper is new and it the first time I've weighed this rig - previous campers have always been a few hundred pounds over GVWR.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Like Solo 18 I have also used these convenient Oregon weigh stations on the two lane rural roads.  Very convenient just pull on and read your weights and pull off in less than 5 minutes.  There was one south of the Champoeg State park just south of Portland as I recall. Cheers.

This is only the beginning

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot/?ref=pages_you_manage

ieaKVLOm.png

Edited by NamMedevac 70

• 2 weeks later...

The same company that performs the 4-corner weighs for FMCA and other organizations has a schedule on their website.

http://rvweigh.com/

https://rvsafety.com/rvweighing

A side note; A weigh we go company is  for sale to an enterprising RVers who wants to full-time and work their way across the country.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 month later...

Thank you, everyone!  This is the first time I have had a chance to visit this site since I posted the question.  I did not know I had received so many responses.  I really appreciate you all taking the time to share your experience and expertise.  I will try out as many suggestions as possible, and let you know how it turns out when I have an opportunity to do so. I hope you are all staying cool, healthy and safe (driving or camped)! 

12 hours ago, mhoram4 said:

This is the first time I have had a chance to visit this site

Welcome back! Hopefully there is the answer to your questions in the thread. If not, feel free to return for further comments and if so, please do come back and update us and take part in the conversations.

I have investigated nearly all the recommendations found in this thread

CAT does discourages the use of their scales for 4-corner weighing

I did extensive Google searches for "Truck Scales"

I finally discovered the secret

Try searching for "Scale Rentals"

To be exact try "Axle Scale Rentals"

You might also try "Scale Calibration"

You will be surprised -- I found a place 2 miles from my home

Dynamax DynaQuest 360Xl

• 2 weeks later...