Tires

JFG5

3 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

We're running Toyo tires . 

They'll age out long before wearing out and the ride is 'pleasant' . ;)

There were OEMs on our coach and that is what we always replace with - age out before wearing out.  We replace the front then 2 years later the 4 rear tires on our rotation of about 7 years.   Works for us.  We also replace when we are in Oregon, the sales tax savings is a pretty good chunk of change.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

20 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

We replace the front then 2 years later the 4 rear tires on our rotation of about 7 years.   

We're thinking of doing this, too.  At what age do you replace the front tires?  We bought six new tires in August of 2018, so nearly three years ago.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 weeks later...

I run Michelin’s….for maybe the wrong reason.  When I bought my new Phaeton it came with the Michelin 275X80R/22.5 tires.  I’ve never stored my RV out in the elements, it’s in an enclosed storage facility on concrete.  The original tires started to show pretty severe sidewall cracking after about 4-1/2 years.  Michelin replaced them all, except for the tire installation fee ($225).  I was shocked that they did a total replacement.  They won some loyalty from me for that gesture.

I had six Cooper 245/70R 19.5's installed on our Class A last fall. I've had very good performance from Coopers on our cars and trucks over the years, so I decided to give them a try on the RV this time. With only about 4,000 miles on them so far, it's too soon to tell much beyond that the ride is as good if not a bit better than the Goodyears they replaced.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I had run Michelins on my duallies for years and never a problem.  The last two sets I have not got the mileage out of them...35,000 vs 60,000 in the past.  I went to Cooper tires this time as I had them on a truck years ago and never an issue.  I will say that even with an all terrain thread, they are as quiet as the Michelin ATs and ride smoother.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

It all depends on your location and use. Those things change often and sometimes dramatically as a full timer. 

I just replaced the tires on my truck. They were at least 7 years old, were very high quality brand and recommended by my Brother the "Tire Guy". Of course he was the one to recommend me replacing my "Retread" rear tires with "Steers". His thought I would not be running through "Feed Lots" and stuff his mostly "Farmer" customer base does. Well I got stuck on the level  in wet grass with the steers. Closed shoulder lugs are much better, we found. 

My take offs look like they have had very little wear in the 7 years and the farmers he will sell them too will get many more years and miles out of them. They will be happy, he will be happy and I hope I am happy when I get the bill.  I did not replace the tires with the best he could get and instead went with the least expensive. Why pay the extra dollars for something that is going to sit for months at a time is my thought. We will see how my logic pays off for me. 

I did learn a valuable lesson and thankfully didn't have a "here hold my beer moment". 

When I arrived in Lawton, OK last fall it was a messy rainy day and the very next day there was a major ICE event. My brakes apparently didn't dry very well and the next spring when I tried to move one of them was stubborn in breaking loose. I thought, no big deal pull forward, back up and it will come loose. NOPE. I thought 'OK, pull it out on the concrete street, it will come loose'. NOPE Pull into the next drive and call for help. My mechanic friend say's grab a hammer and tap the drum, it' will pop loose and YES it did. I looked at the tires and didn't think there was any damage, WRONG.

The "Cheap" no name OEM tires on my trailer took the abuse and didn't fail on me. I had planned to replace the tires, but my Brother said they look real good, I can't read the date code because they are all on the inside, but "I'd run them". 

I decided why not turn them around. I have dual tandems and the inside tires have not seen much sun which I've heard is hardest on them (except for the sitting for months at a time_). We started pulling the tires and wheels off and found my MISTAKE. "NEVER DRAG YOUR TIRES THINKING THE BRAKES WILL RELEASE".  Found two HUGE flat spots on that set with cords showing. I had traveled at least 1000 miles since the brake event and had looked at the tires multiple times, never seeing the damage. The little guy who could fit under the trailer to set the jacks saw them right away, didn't say anything about it until what was almost too late, but I did get two new tires in that spot.  

That's my tire story up to today. My 600 mile trip was uneventful now they will sit again for a few months. I have covered them, mostly because the inside tires never get washed and the White wheels are no longer that color, nor will they be unless repainted. Maybe later. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

No right or wrong, just choices!!! Toyo, Continental, Bridgestone, Michelin, BF Goodrich, Hankook are some of the brands that are popular for RV duty. 

Hey things to consider are size and load ratings, appropriate for your RV. Sizes can vary slightly on the same wheel, to give you an option on different makes and models of tires. (For example, 12R X 22.5 were our OEM tires on our previous coach. And some of the tires I was considering at replacement time, were not available in that size. But were available in 295/80 X 22.5.) Most reputable tire companies, will be able to help guide you on alternate tire sizes that will be fine for your RV.

Load Range ratings is critical for safety. Going to a 'Higher Rated' Load Range is safe to consider, though usually expensive to do so:)! Never go with a 'Lower Rated' Load Range. 

FMCA has the tire program for sort of like Fleet Discount Prices. Saved many people lots of money. Worth checking, as the savings alone can pay for a years membership if needed. 

We've personally had great experiences with Michelin tires. And during an industry tire shortage several years ago, we ended up with X's 2 BF Goodrich ST230's, which were less expensive then the Michelin's, and performed very well for us also (Built by Michelin:)!). 

And we adopted Barbara's recommended approach tire replacement. Not so much for a financial reason, but because we do the X's 2 and then X's 4 at near the 3 1/2 year mark (+ or - a few months, based upon when we will be in Oregon. Yep, great sales tax savings!). We do this cycle, primarily as we always have Steers at under 3 1/2 years of age. (As long as your Steer and Tag tires are the same size, they can move the Steer's tires back to the Tag position. To allow fresh/younger rubber to be always on the Steer's. 

And we always work with he tire shop in advance, to ensure Tire Age (Born on Date via the tires DOT stamp.), are 6 months or less. 

On pricing. Even though we have FMCA program available to us, we always call the tire shop in advance, and ask them to work the numbers. We want to pay the lowest amount possible, and a few times the tire shop could make more profit by not going thru FMCA. And that is OK with us:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!