Class A Diesel Toy Hauler Options

HavocK9

We are new to RVing.  I have clients all across the US and with the problems we are having obtaining reasonable options for housing while traveling and working with clients.  I am considering the RV option.  I am a K9 Trainer and travel with multiple dogs.  I really need the option of having a garage to use for dog crates.  However, there don't seem to be a lot of options for Diesel Toy Hauler’s.  Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.

Part of problem with a diesel pusher toy hauler is that the engine is in back, right where a toy hauler garage door would be.

In truth there aren't a lot of options on class A toy haulers. For diesels I think there is only the Newmar Canyon Star. There are some gas class A's out there like the Outlaw by Thor. We had looked an ultimately went with a 5th wheel. We actually gave up the toy hauler idea altogether but I will say there are lot more options in a 5th wheel toy hauler.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Your dogs might not be happy with the ride in a 5th wheel. I encourage you to keep looking. You don't need a motorhome with a big ramp on the back so you might look at ones that have a smaller side door intended for motorcycles. Or you might look at a non-toyhauler that has enough amenities in the living area that you can remove things from the "bedroom" to make space for your dogs. It may pay to think outside the box to find something that meets your needs.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

Your dogs might not be happy with the ride in a 5th wheel. I encourage you to keep looking. You don't need a motorhome with a big ramp on the back so you might look at ones that have a smaller side door intended for motorcycles. Or you might look at a non-toyhauler that has enough amenities in the living area that you can remove things from the "bedroom" to make space for your dogs. It may pay to think outside the box to find something that meets your needs.

Linda

Good idea. We had looked at a Berkshire that had bunks that we talked about taking out to make an office/hobby space. Depending on the size of the kennels you could get 3 or more in that space.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to help and very glad that you have joined us.

On the gas powered motorhome, having lived fulltime in one for 14 years, I assure you that they will go anywhere that a diesel pusher will, although there will likely be times that it takes a bit longer.  That said, Newmar Canyon Star toy hauler is powered by a front diesel so it may be what you are looking for. It has an 8'X10' garage area that could possibly serve well. I have only seen them online but suggest that you take a look at them. As far as I am aware, only those two manufacturers build a class A in a toy hauler. The idea of converting some unneeded space into an area for dog crates could be a good answer also. 

Are you thinking of a new class A or perhaps a used one? If you went with one of the older, higher end diesel coaches with in mind to remodel it, that might also be a good approach. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes thank you for the responses….I would prefer used…So that basically eliminates the Newmar Canyon Star since they just added the diesel option.  But also may not have a choice.  We are looking at possibly redesigning something on one that is not a toy hauler…The dogs are GSDs…So their crates are quite big…

5 hours ago, HavocK9 said:

Yes thank you for the responses….I would prefer used…So that basically eliminates the Newmar Canyon Star since they just added the diesel option.  But also may not have a choice.  We are looking at possibly redesigning something on one that is not a toy hauler…The dogs are GSDs…So their crates are quite big…

I wonder if a bunk bed model could have the beds enclosed in such a way as to make them into kennels?

Be sure to check any garages for insulation and temperature control systems.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Depending on the breed of dogs and how many dogs, you might have a difficult time finding parks to stay.  They usually have specific requirements to abide by.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Newmar made a diesel mid-engine model on a Spartan chassis  for several years but it reportedly had engine over-heating problems. If you will not be towing a vehicle it may not over-heat.  I really liked the layout, pity it didn't work out.

Newmar All-Star sales brochure explains the MH in detail. It had 2 doors in addition to the garage doors.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thank you.  I do like the layout of the mid engine diesel….But definitely don’t want to worry about engine problems.  As we may tow a vehicle.  As for # of dogs it varies.  I train detection dogs and have Explosives Dogs currently working and will have some in training as well.  However, I don't see doing more than  4 in the RV and keeping my sanity.  Maybe 5 max.

I just did some searches for Newmar All-Star overheating using several different search terms. Apparently the rumor of over-heating were exaggerated, as I found no documented over-heating issue. Several All-Stars I found have over 80,000 to 180,000 miles on the odometer, which indicates over-heating is not a major concern.

I apologize for the incorrect information.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Another option might be a used super C with a garage but we have only saw one that had a separate bedroom when they have a garage. Most just used the bed over the cab area or a pull out sleeper which we did not want.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Thank you for the update Ray on your previous post!  I will look and see what is out there for the All Star…My initial search did not turn up much.  As for a Class C, I feel it will be too small for the amount of time we need to use it…I would really like a king bed which seems to be a dream unless we decide to go with a gas engine/Thor Outlaw….

Edited by HavocK9

HavocK9, I just tonight learned Travel Supreme also used the Spartan mid-engine chassis; this while performing further searches for over-heating issues (of which I have only found one documented case  and it is not related to the mid-engine design) Good luck with your search for the MH to meet your requirements.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:09 PM, Ray,IN said:

HavocK9, I just tonight learned Travel Supreme also used the Spartan mid-engine chassis; this while performing further searches for over-heating issues (of which I have only found one documented case  and it is not related to the mid-engine design) Good luck with your search for the MH to meet your requirements.

Ray's suggestion of the Travel Supreme, would be the best DP Class A option to consider. I researched these carefully for a friend about 5 years ago - and lots of positive comments from owners. It's not the classic walk thru the back of the RV into a garage, the garage part (That I've seen Mini Coopers drive out of:)!), is below the bedroom area. And that, if you are a tall person, is a negative, as less headroom in the bedroom area:)!

Good luck on your hunt,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

• 1 month later...

As someone already stated many RV Parks have breed and number restrictions on dogs. Most allow 2 or 3 dogs but 4 or 5 may be a problem. Breed restrictions will be more severely enforced than number. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

4 hours ago, Twotoes said:

As someone already stated many RV Parks have breed and number restrictions on dogs. Most allow 2 or 3 dogs but 4 or 5 may be a problem. Breed restrictions will be more severely enforced than number. 

Additionally, many private and commercial campgrounds had size, breed and number of dogs requirements.  When you call for reservations, be sure to check for requirements. 

And as noted, a gasoline engine motorhome will get you over the Rockies, maybe a a little slower than a DP.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned previously, a Super C (Renegade or Showhauler) would fit the needs.  I have seen them with a bedrrom, not just the space over the driver compartment.  Plenty big engine, and service centers everywhere

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL