6x4 vs 6x2? And Goosebox vs RV 5th wheel?

Rotorhead

Hello All,

I am all lined up with a loan and insurance. One big question is what would be better for HDT RV'ing. 6x4 or 6x2? I have found some Pro Stars that are less than 500k for a good price. The only thing is they are mostly 6x2. I have been reading the resale on those is not as good? I know a lot of you have singled yours so if I did that it wouldn't make much difference I guess.

Next question. A friend showed me his new set up for his 5th wheel. He switched over to a Reese Goosebox. Have you heard of that and would that work with an HDT?

Depends on your driving conditions. 6x2 will give a small mileage boost, but will be more prone to getting stuck. If the 6x4 has axle locks, too, that's a bonus.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

A 6x2 will have a heavier differential, designed for the input torque.  A 6x4 has (usually) lighter diffs designed to share the input torque.  That said, lots of folks have singled the lighter diffs with no issues, because we're generally pulling light loads.

The engines in the Pro Stars are not at the top of the list for longevity. But there again, with light loads and low annual mileage, they might be a bargain.,

FWIW, we bought a 2018 KW w/ 503k miles to replace our 2001 Volvo w/ 753k miles.  Both are 6x4, and I'm happy with that.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hey, Rick. I missed what engine you got in your new KW. Cummins, Paccar MX? What about transmission? We need details, man.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

If you are going to single then it should not really matter what rear end style you get. 

I am in the PNW and 6x4 was minimum for me because I am tandem.  I would have really liked lockers also, but they are not very common in the style of truck or gearing I wanted.  

My previous trailer was a factory gooseneck so my pick up was set up to pull that when I got my new toy hauler.  I did a lot of research and debate about 5th wheel vs gooseneck with the toy hauler since all options were about the same price.  For my pick up I decided that I wanted to keep my bed "clean" so I went with gooseneck and the Reece Goosebox. 

For a direct answer, yes, the Goosebox will work with an HDT, that is how I am set up now that I have an HDT.  I am happy with the set up.  

For a longer answer/question what do you have now and why are you considering switching?  Each type of set up has pros and cons.  If you are looking for this style of hitch I would also look at the Gen Y.  They were not a option when I bought my system.  They have options for both goose and 5th hitches. 

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

1 hour ago, Nwcid said:

If you are going to single then it should not really matter what rear end style you get. 

Except it will be a good bit cheaper to single a 6x2.  Depending on the desired wheelbase, it could be as simple as unbolting the non-drive axle.  No drive lines to fool with, etc.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Hey, Rick. I missed what engine you got in your new KW. Cummins, Paccar MX? What about transmission? We need details, man.

MX-13/455 and a 13 spd Me-shift.  Of all the trucks we've had on the farm, this is the first 13 spd.  Just an 8 spd with a splitter.  The clutch in this thing is CRAZY easy.  Not you need it much.

DaiOg97l.jpg

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

55 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

MX-13/455 and a 13 spd Me-shift.  Of all the trucks we've had on the farm, this is the first 13 spd.  Just an 8 spd with a splitter.  The clutch in this thing is CRAZY easy.  Not you need it much.

DaiOg97l.jpg

Great thing about a 13 speed. Drive it as a 8 speed, and flip the switch when you need to drop half a gear going up a big grade. Wish mine had a 13, then this 10 direct. but then again 10 direct with 2.93 gears not bad.

event.png

2 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

I was thinking the gooseneck may be easier to install than the RV 5th wheel?

It's easier to install, but I guranteee you'll be cursing it everytime you hook up. Sweet spot on the ball shrinks everytime I use ours.

Please e-mail us here.

Regarding the gooseneck ball vs 5th wheel, I prefer the fifth wheel for easier hookup. You do not have to get perfectly lined up with the pin and no safety chains to hook up. I also think you get more air bag travel with the ET hitch than you do on the goosebox  but I am not an expert on those.

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Around the farm n' ranch we generally announce in a loud voice to no one in particular: "Them king pin 5th wheel hitches is never gonna catch on!" on our 5th or 9th trip out of the seat to look see if the ball is lined up this time... 

You also announce it while cranking landing gear up and down to unhitch and hitch to those damn fool goose neck balls buried below a flat deck. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

8 hours ago, noteven said:

Around the farm n' ranch we generally announce in a loud voice to no one in particular: "Them king pin 5th wheel hitches is never gonna catch on!" on our 5th or 9th trip out of the seat to look see if the ball is lined up this time... 

You also announce it while cranking landing gear up and down to unhitch and hitch to those damn fool goose neck balls buried below a flat deck. 

The guys poo-pooing hitch cameras because they can use the mirrors have never hitched up to a gooseneck on an angle or uneven ground that's for sure. I have to admit I have never used a fithwheel but I have used a lot of goosenecks.  When I built my first flatbed I put a trench in for the hitch when I bought one it had a trench.  I use 2 cameras set at 90 degrees to each other getting in and out of the 1 ton was a pain doing it with the Volvo is worse, atleast with my belly lol.

Hahaha. Well while I have not yet had the pleasure (or dis-) of hooking up to a gooseneck, I do have a small trailer for dump runs that I have to get out several times to make sure I'm close enough.

I will certainly be investing in cameras and developing some sort of reference system that works for me when it comes to hitching up.

Let the fun begin!

1 hour ago, Rotorhead said:

I have heard and read that it is not ideal to use the commercial 5th wheel for hooking your camper to. To rigid?

No side to side movement, too high for a typical RV.

Please e-mail us here.

9 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

I had a pice of 2 or 2.5 inch plastic pipe I got some where with a slit in one end to slide over the ball it made hitching up much easier as long as I could see out the back window. It would pop of when I was in the correct spot. 

Most of the HDTs don't have a back window to see out of and I know the one in our dually didn't work very well because the extra fuel tank and storage box in the bed blocked my view of the ball.

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

16 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

The guys poo-pooing hitch cameras because they can use the mirrors have never hitched up to a gooseneck on an angle or uneven ground that's for sure. I have to admit I have never used a fithwheel but I have used a lot of goosenecks.  When I built my first flatbed I put a trench in for the hitch when I bought one it had a trench.  I use 2 cameras set at 90 degrees to each other getting in and out of the 1 ton was a pain doing it with the Volvo is worse, atleast with my belly lol.

Also they must not have a smart car on the bed as it is just a little wider than the trailer so no good way to try to line it up perfectly. I love our hitch camera! 

We haul a smart, and have no cameras.  I get it within a few inches fore/aft, and usually withing 1" side/side on the first stab, then DW guides me the rest of the way.  But then, I've been backing up to trailers for longer than I care to admit.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 5/20/2021 at 2:24 PM, rickeieio said:

The clutch in this thing is CRAZY easy.

It's a Kongsberg air assisted hydraulic.  The little plastic linkage looking thing on the top of the pedal is what makes that detent you feel right before you get into the clutch brake territory.  Hopefully keeps you out of there when you don't need it.  Kind of might be a fan of that clutch pedal myself... 😉

display.php?id=2276431

On 5/21/2021 at 11:51 PM, Star Dreamer said:

Most of the HDTs don't have a back window to see out of and I know the one in our dually didn't work very well because the extra fuel tank and storage box in the bed blocked my view of the ball.

No rear window on my HDT and a L tank in the one ton as well, but the pipe helped a lot it was tall I could see the top over the tank and could line it up with a mark on the front of the trailer. Cameras are much easier and they are cheap. It still requires skill to follow the camera just like it does the mirrors. With the gooseneck its the 1 inch too far or short that gets you, it's not like a 5th wheel where you can bump it and know your there. And my truck hates to go 1 inch usaly 3 or 4.lol

• 3 weeks later...