Does Volvo use a clutch saftey switch?

BPepper

I have a 2001 Volvo 660. The truck sometimes will not engage the starter when I depress the clutch pedal. I have to keep depressing the clutch pedal numerous times before it will start. It seems that I have a clutch switch going bad. I contacted volvo with my vin but the parts guy said he could not find and electrical switches on the clutch pedal assembly. Does volvo use a electrical swich on there clutch pedal or do they use something else? Any help or direction would be great. Thanks

Our 2001 770 w/ Eaton auto shift starts with the clutch pedal up.  BUT, it must be in neutral.  If it has a clutch safety switch, it's never worked.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I also have a gen 1 Eaton auto shift.  I have never engaged the clutch to start the truck.  It goes into neutral before the engine is shut off and then when it gets restarted, it is just a turn of the key.  I often do it from the ground standing next to the truck to let it warm up and air up while I finish prepping the trailer for hook up.

I will say there is a switch on my go pedal - throttle position sensor - (but I have a Kenworth).  Mine went bad and it would periodically quit working.  It caused issues with cruise control, Jake brake and driving, but not starting.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Too much farm training for me. Never started a vehicle without having a foot on the clutch. Couldn't honestly say if our Gen 1 AutoShift will start without the clutch pressed. Has to be in Neutral, though. Had to buy an air compressor, once, to get into Neutral. smart car to the rescue.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Yes. The truck is in neutral. When it wont start I have to repeatedly push the clutch pedal and push it hard to the floor before it starts. I've been an auto mechanic for over 20 years and it acts just like a neutral saftey switch. The truck is definitely in neutral when when it acts up. The truck has never started without the clutch depressed. In fact sometimes I hood the key in the start position and pump the clutch pedal and it starts. There has to be a saftey switch of some kind that is failing. 

I would think there is some kind of switch but I haven't found it. My 2000 Volvo will start without the clutch pushed down but it will not shift into gear unless the clutch is pushed very tight to the floor, or maybe the clutch is worn out or out of adjustment.  Guess I should check that out🤪

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

If our old Volvo is in gear and you turn the key.... it will make you spill your coffee... even with the brakes set.....

22 hours ago, Sparky242 said:

I would think there is some kind of switch but I haven't found it. My 2000 Volvo will start without the clutch pushed down but it will not shift into gear unless the clutch is pushed very tight to the floor, or maybe the clutch is worn out or out of adjustment.  Guess I should check that out🤪

Your clutch brake probably needs adjusting or replacing.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Our 04 Volvo 630 has the ZF Meritor Freedomline two pedal 12 speed with hi/low reverse. It uses an air clutch system with a clutch actuator to engage the gears in full auto or skip shifting when in manual mode. When Meritor started to build these for Volvo they found that with all the modules and electric components that had been built into this unit to try an achieve a true automated manual they discovered that it wouldn't perform on a twelve volt system. So to cure this they engineered a voltage doubler to boost the system to 24 volts. How do I come by this info? An oldtime Volvo tranmission mechanic replaced ours when it went south several months ago when we were still in Texas.

This part and a clutch actuator several years ago is the only repair work done to the transmission since we have owned it starting in February of 2013 and over 90K miles.

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)