Summer Air

When is the best time to change the air in your tires from winter air to summer air?  Lol lol lo, just kidding but would love to see your responses! 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Regardless of the time of year I run that "mixture" of 78% Nitrogen plus 21% Oxygen in my tires, its worked well for me ............Should be changed every 4000 miles right?????????????????? Don't you hate dirty old stale air........

John T

I run the same air year around.  We don't travel as much during the winter and it gives the summer air time to rest so it can be ready for new travels in the summer.

I know one fellow that sucks out the air each winter and stores it until the next winter.  He also does the same for his summer air.  He keeps it compressed so it does not take up much room.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Just like when I was a kid watching the old men on the bench in front of the grocery store, first lair hasn't got a chance.🤣

I don't replace or change the air, I do however add some helium now and then to reduce rolling weight.🙄

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I buy Arizona desert air by the barrel.  It is dryer and contains fewer industrial contaminants.  The lack of moisture and contaminants reduces corrosion on the inside of the tires and the wheels.  Aluminum wheels are particularly susceptible to this sort of damage.  I prefer the winter desert air because it is denser.  Winter desert air is more expensive because there is a much higher demand for it due to the snowbirds breathing it all up.  When you fill the tires with this air in the Northern Hemisphere you should be careful to use a counter clockwise compressor to negate the coriolis effect in mid-latitudes.  A clockwise compressor should be used south of the Tropic of Capricorn.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

10 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

When you fill the tires with this air in the Northern Hemisphere you should be careful to use a counter clockwise compressor to negate the Coriolis effect in mid-latitudes.  A clockwise compressor should be used south of the Tropic of Capricorn.

Wayne & Jinx

Wayne, so that I do not need to worry with compressor rotation, I make sure to use a coiled air hose that has  clockwise spiral.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 5/19/2021 at 8:28 AM, TXiceman said:

Wayne, so that I do not need to worry with compressor rotation, I make sure to use a coiled air hose that has  clockwise spiral.

TXiceman,

Do you change compressor hoses for the tires on the other side of the vehicle?

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

3 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

TXiceman,

Do you change compressor hoses for the tires on the other side of the vehicle?

Wayne & Jinx

For sure.  

Ken

On 5/18/2021 at 6:15 PM, oldjohnt said:

Regardless of the time of year I run that "mixture" of 78% Nitrogen plus 21% Oxygen in my tires, its worked well for me ............Should be changed every 4000 miles John T

Is that 4000 miles or X months whichever comes first. I have been told by salespeople saying using straight nitrogen is better as it is the Oxygen that leaks off when the 78-21 mixture is used.  But I have a little environmentalist in my blood, I hate the thought and using straight Nitrogen and having a blowout. That could up-set 78-21% balance.

Clay I lay awake night worrying about my Oxygen  may be leaking off.  LOL

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Temp. hit 90 here today, my MH air springs aired up by themselves when the winter air in them expanded. I may need a stepladder to reach the door handle.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Temp. hit 90 here today, my MH air springs aired up by themselves when the winter air in them expanded. I may need a stepladder to reach the door handle.

This would not have happened if you had added volume stabilizer during the winter solstice.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

Let's kick this up a notch and save the planet.  Lots of expensive research going on about reducing carbon dioxide and sequestering carbon.  I have 16 huge tires on my truck and trailer.  The answer seems obvious, fill up our tires with carbon dioxide in the winter (increased density). 

Carbon captured - problem solved!

Edited by DanZemke

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

42 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

The answer seems obvious, fill up our tires with carbon dioxide in the winter (increased density). 

You may need to fill out an EPA hazardous materials release incident report (in triplicate) when mounting new tires.

I'm having way too much fun here.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

6 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

This would not have happened if you had added volume stabilizer during the winter solstice.

Wayne & Jinx

DW uses hair volumizer will that work? OH, wait; I need that not the MH tires.

11 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

You may need to fill out an EPA hazardous materials release incident report (in triplicate) when mounting new tires.

That would be outrageous!  What's clearly needed is more regulation.  For example, gas stations could convert from air to CO2 and carbonated beverage manufacturers should be required to buy our recycled tire CO2.   And as TXiceman's inspirational link points out - "I'm sure the government will buy it". 🙂

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

1 hour ago, DanZemke said:

That would be outrageous!  What's clearly needed is more regulation. 

Maybe we should just switch to methane.  It is a more potent greenhouse gas.   Farmers could sell cow flatulence at roadside stands.  We could just pull over at a farm, a farm hand could back in a couple of cattle up to the rig and, presto, we would have a better world.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

3 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

Maybe we should just switch to methane.  It is a more potent greenhouse gas.   Farmers could sell cow flatulence at roadside stands.  We could just pull over at a farm, a farm hand could back in a couple of cattle up to the rig and, presto, we would have a better world.

Wayne & Jinx

Wayne, now we have another issue that the methane would have to reclaimed when the tires are changed.  And look at the mountain of government forms to complete if you had a blow out on the road and the sudden release of methane.

Ken