Rig preferences for hauling your 5th wheel

Rotorhead

Hello All,

Now that I know I can get insurance through State Farm (I am still going to call Lazy Days) I am looking at trucks. Volvo 670, Freightliner Cascadia, Mack Pinnacle and a Kenworth 660. All 6x4 manuals. Being new to the whole thing I would like input from you all on what your thoughts are as far as which might be a little better than the other.

Thanks,

Chuck

No one truck fits all.  We were ready to pull the trigger on a Mack, but it was going to cost too much to add the air ride passenger seat, table, fridge, shore power, re-paint the roof, and, deal killer, it had no knee room on the passenger side.

We've been very happy with our 2001 Volvo 770.  It's served us well for 11 years and 55k miles.  

We are now in the process of building a bed on our new-to-us KW T-680.  It has some shortcomings, compared to the Volvo.  But life is one compromise after another.  Good luck in your search.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Alot depends on if you are going new or used. New you can obviously order what you want but you also want to deal with someone that is knowledgeable in the RV use. 

Used, just try to get the best one that meets your needs and wants and in your price range. There are some engines to avoid and they vary depending on the year and make, if you want an automated or  automatic transmission that may limit your choices, if you want a non-smoker truck that will really limit your choices. Adding to many items like gear ratios, locking rear ends will really limit your choices. Volvos are more car like in comfort, Freightliner dealerships are in many major locations, Kenworth and Peterbilt have there following. 

We went with a Freightliner Century over 9 years ago as it had what we wanted and was in our price range. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Volvo's seem to be the most popular, from what I've seen at the rally I attended but all makes were represented and all seemed proud and happy with their choices.  We found a used Freightliner Cascadia three years ago.  Spent a year tweaking it, while towing a Montana, and building a functional wood deck for our Smart.  Then sold the Montana, bought a used NH and went full time 14 months ago.  Happy with our choice, cost, comfort and reliability.  For more details, you can see our blog: Our Full time HDT and New Horizon Blog . At the top are pages that show the truck/bed build and the NH trailer.  The rest are our daily posts, by week.

Be sure to really inspect the truck and have a dyno done.  Ask for maintenance records and possibly an oil analysis (if they haven't changed the oil recently).  Good luck, any one you go with will be an interesting journey!

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

16 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

Being new to the whole thing I would like input from you all on what your thoughts are as far as which might be a little better than the other.

Hey Chuck,

When I started down this path I wanted to get something that was common, easy to work on, and easy to sell later.  My thinking being if I had issues wanted lots of repair options and wanted to be able to get out of it if I wasn't happy.  

With that, I went as short (height) and short (length) as I thought I could get away with combined with a short turning chassis and an auto.  If I was todo it again I'd go with an even shorter wheel base (last was singled mid), keep the same deck size (smart car and quads room) and go with a 2 pedal auto instead of a 3 pedal.

I'd be all about a singled short volvo 730 (mid height) with a 2 pedal.  If possible get a Cummins instead of a Volvo engine (only for ease of finding repairs on the road).  It will be hyper easy to drive, turn really short and relatively reliable.

Class 7's are fine, but for the money you can usually get better class 8's.

my 2 pennies

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

Howdy Chuck,

First off, if at al possible ATTEND an HDT rally, look at and talk to owners of many different rigs setup in many different ways this will give you a real world knowledge base to use when choosing your truck.  Second, seriously consider what your future plans might be as they may dictate the need for a different truck or setup.

Case in point, my first HDT was a turn key already converted to RV use Freightliner Columbia, singled mid worked perfectly for my at the time use, then we bought the Smart Car, this needed a radically revised setup on the Freightliner, or building a different truck to suit my new needs.  The money it would have cost to rework the Freightliner would have NEVER been recovered in it's future sell. Running the numbers it was better to just get a different truck, one that I really liked and build it the way "I" wanted it.  Spend more up front for what YOU WANT, save a LOT in rework down the road.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Will do, thx Mr. Cob

I found a Volvo 780 that has a foldable table with bench seats already. I was wanting that to bring the family along. I will have to see if there would be room for a smart car or something along those lines.

I just need to resist the urge to leap on a nice vehicle while it's there. The right one will be there when the time is right.

Chuck

5 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

What do you all think about million mile + trucks on rebuilt engines with 400-500k miles?

There will be a lot of other parts that will need replacement on a million mile truck if there is no history of them being replaced. Also I would question why the engine had to be rebuilt at 500k when they should easily go 750k - 1000k miles before rebuilding. Is it one of the troublesome engine? 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Rotorhead -

Sometimes trucks coming off large private carrier fleets can be a good buy. A private carrier is a trucking company owned by the company they haul for (like Walmart, Dillard's, etc)

If they are selling their own trucks that can be even better because you can talk to the fleet maintenance people about the specific maintenance and repairs various trucks have had. 

I don't know what applies statewise or federally in the USA - but in Canada a commercial vehicle has to have a mechanical fitness inspection certificate every 6 to 12 months.  It is commonly called the "safety" inspection. 

Anyways - I always advise anyone who asks to have a comprehensive inspection done on a truck you are interested in buying at your expense.  This includes a mechanical fitness and also all fluids sampled. It can be the cheapest few hundred $$ you spend. This should be done by a certified facility...

Pretend you are buying a used helicopter.  

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Thanks for all the replies. I will certain ask for the oils to be sampled. If they don't want to I suppose I can move on to someplace that will.

I am looking at those higher mileage ones because I didn't want a $1,000 a month payment. And if it dies I don't have too big an investment in it. I just figure if I can get one and use it for 100,000 miles it will be worth it. I may not even get that many on it but who knows.