Summer Travels? Check for forest fire hazards by your vehicle

2gypsies

I just read an article that because of ongoing drought summer fires will be a big thing once again.  It stated to check your vehicles for anything hanging that could drag on the pavement, including safety chains on hitches.  This will cause sparks which could fly into the vegetation along the road.  I do recall that sparks were a cause of one of the big California fires.  In addition, don't park a hot vehicle or use a generator when parked over dry grass.   It also mentioned to check tire inflation as low tires can cause sparks. That I didn't know.  Have a safe summer!

So does anyone know how high up trailer safety chains should be?  My original set-up had the chains several inches above the ground and I thought that would be fine.  A neighbor of mine followed me up to the house and said that the chains were throwing sparks when I went over a bump.  My way of dealing with it was to put a bungee cord around the chains so they were next to the hitch drop.

I have a new truck and bought a longer drop for the ball, so I could open my tailgate.  My chains are not as close to the ground as they were previously and I think they may be OK, but I’m not sure.  I wonder if I should go back to using the bungee cord to keep them up out of the way again.