Jackalopee wiring

phoenix2013

Had a chance to prewire completely a Jackalopee for an installation in the truck. YES, I got compensated for the effort, NO, I don't intend to offer it as a standard service. However, while doing this I took a whole bunch of pictures of the process and will put it together as "pictorial" manual how to do this efficiently and "pretty".

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/FkugxVrl.jpg[/IMG]

OK, what am  doing wrong, I used Jack's Picture Posting routine and it just shows the link instead of the picture?

Edited by phoenix2013

31 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

Had a chance to prewire completely a Jackalopee for an installation in the truck. YES, I got compensated for the effort, NO, I don't intend to offer it as a standard service. However, while doing this I took a whole bunch of pictures of the process and will put it together as "pictorial" manual how to do this efficiently and "pretty".

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/FkugxVrl.jpg[/IMG]

OK, what am  doing wrong, I used Jack's Picture Posting routine and it just shows the link instead of the picture?

Strip the [IMG] front and rear, then use the Other Media button to insert the link. Very neat and sanitary assembly, BTW. JayFkugxVrl.jpg

Edited by Jaydrvr

ruNtNCEl.jpg%20

Thanks Jaydrvr, an ignorance is a terrible thing. Anyway, the instructions will have a lots of useful tips like for instance the starting length of the casing strip when doing the DOT plug (2 inches) and the starting wires for that plug, white and blue (1 1/4")

ShBear4l.jpg

Lengths and assembly sequences in the Jackalopee

GPHwnt2l.jpg

Useful tips on how to start doing the RV socket wiring (a real PITA)

2pF3z0Hl.jpg

En8v0HFl.jpg

And how to make things really pretty.

TjLe1vul.jpg

hUdYZJxl.jpg

I took about 80 pictures, so give me time to put this manual together, in the meantime those who would like to get a copy when ready contact me so I can put you on the "list".

So how much time does it take to "do it right"? DOT plug, RV socket and both sides of the Jackalopee, between 2-3 hours depending on your skill level and the tools you use.

The Old Goat

Edited by phoenix2013

For the RV Socket, I use crimp ring terminal lugs.  Cut off the insulation to save room.  Crimp and solder.   Install with the crimp big part inboard.  They will bend in enough to get the cover on.  The ring prevents wires from pulling out.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

8 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

For the RV Socket, I use crimp ring terminal lugs.  Cut off the insulation to save room.  Crimp and solder.   Install with the crimp big part inboard.  They will bend in enough to get the cover on.  The ring prevents wires from pulling out.

Crimp and solder is the ultimate in reliability, ring also a better option. Too cautionary things on this approach. The wire is pure copper, it solders like guano unless you clean it and use good flux, or good flux core solder. The RV side is a real PITA and the wire colors do not line up nicely out of the bundle (lots of crossing of wires towards the end). If you make them longer to help that, the remaining jacket will be too far back and the cable clamp will clamp on the wires rather than on the jacket. Not the end of the world, but just saying.

That is how mine is wired up. Plug and play. I would have paid extra to have ordered it this way.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

24 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

That is how mine is wired up. Plug and play. I would have paid extra to have ordered it this way.

This was the second one I did for this customer and he didn't care if there was an extra cable at either end. All installations are slightly (or a lot) different, so for a neat installations pre-wiring it in this fashion is not practical.

4 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Crimp and solder is the ultimate in reliability, ring also a better option. Too cautionary things on this approach. The wire is pure copper, it solders like guano unless you clean it and use good flux, or good flux core solder. The RV side is a real PITA and the wire colors do not line up nicely out of the bundle (lots of crossing of wires towards the end). If you make them longer to help that, the remaining jacket will be too far back and the cable clamp will clamp on the wires rather than on the jacket. Not the end of the world, but just saying.

So since you are not building ETs anymore, and should now have lots of free time, any possibility you can redesign a new RV plug that allows for better and easier wiring? I can't see any reason why it couldn't be made longer to help out. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

7 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

Did the same with my RV cords.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

16 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

So since you are not building ETs anymore, and should now have lots of free time, any possibility you can redesign a new RV plug that allows for better and easier wiring? I can't see any reason why it couldn't be made longer to help out. 

Solved that problem decades ago. Every RV I owned (after cursing the first one for a while) had the plug on the umbilical chopped off and replaced with the DOT Pollack one and the RV socket replaced with the DOT semi socket.

lpkpRn0l.jpg

Ignore pin number, they are different on RV connectors vs. DOT connectors, go by the wire colors marked on the socket and the plug (black to black, red to red, etc.). Incidentally, the two airlines you see above were for the BluDot air over hydraulics braking system I installed in my fifth. Another one of those DIY firsts where I worked for 5 cents per hour, but it's now a standard feature available on fifths, kind of proud of this.

Kechup is gone and no more, it blew an engine. Last I heard it was shipped to Jamaica, guy over there needed a cab.

If you want to really be annoyed go inta your local truck dealer / parts supplier and look at the brush tools that completely clean and shine up both of the connectors on a "normal" truck to trailer plug (i.e. "commercial" plug) 

vs 

the dumb stupid flat bladed son of a 7 way RV world everything has to be different plugs... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pete if you stop by your KW dealer with trade goods like fresh donuts for the service staff they may be able to pdf you the wiring diagram for your truck from the vin. I’m not sure if it is directly accessible by the customer.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

2 hours ago, noteven said:

Pete if you stop by your KW dealer with trade goods like fresh donuts for the service staff they may be able to pdf you the wiring diagram for your truck from the vin. I’m not sure if it is directly accessible by the customer.

Thanks but my buddy that owns a shop is getting that for me. Local dealer for me is 52 miles away. Buddys shop is only 9 miles.

event.png

On 5/16/2021 at 11:14 AM, phoenix2013 said:

ruNtNCEl.jpg%20

Thanks Jaydrvr, an ignorance is a terrible thing. Anyway, the instructions will have a lots of useful tips like for instance the starting length of the casing strip when doing the DOT plug (2 inches) and the starting wires for that plug, white and blue (1 1/4")

ShBear4l.jpg

Lengths and assembly sequences in the Jackalopee

GPHwnt2l.jpg

Useful tips on how to start doing the RV socket wiring (a real PITA)

2pF3z0Hl.jpg

En8v0HFl.jpg

And how to make things really pretty.

TjLe1vul.jpg

hUdYZJxl.jpg

I took about 80 pictures, so give me time to put this manual together, in the meantime those who would like to get a copy when ready contact me so I can put you on the "list".

So how much time does it take to "do it right"? DOT plug, RV socket and both sides of the Jackalopee, between 2-3 hours depending on your skill level and the tools you use.

The Old Goat

Hello Phoenix2013,

I am getting close to installing a Jackalopee. I would like to get on your list for instructions/manual. Is that still possible?

thanks,

Chuck

2 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

Hello Phoenix2013,

I am getting close to installing a Jackalopee. I would like to get on your list for instructions/manual. Is that still possible?

thanks,

Chuck

Chuck, the new manual is finished, it's been going out with each Jackalopee for about two months. It has two section, first section (9 pages) covers the general info you need to know to convert semi into RV hauler. Second section (7 pages) has specific tips how to do the wiring "nicely". Send me you email and I'll be happy so send you a digital copy. That goes to anyone else who would like a copy.

Few nasty developments, parts shortages building Jackalopees have been a real PITA. No PITA squared..........PITA cubed!! Stupid and common stuff like relay sockets, crimp lugs, etc. Just been informed, "no more 7 wire cable (to send with the kits) till beginning of November. Copper is an international commodity, "don't you know". Got enough left for three kits.. Fortunately, I scrambled and found few thousand feet of a substitute. It's a little thicker, white is 10 gauge and all the others are 12 gauge. All the wiring will be done with yellow crimp lugs.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:53 PM, phoenix2013 said:

Chuck, the new manual is finished, it's been going out with each Jackalopee for about two months. It has two section, first section (9 pages) covers the general info you need to know to convert semi into RV hauler. Second section (7 pages) has specific tips how to do the wiring "nicely". Send me you email and I'll be happy so send you a digital copy. That goes to anyone else who would like a copy.

Few nasty developments, parts shortages building Jackalopees have been a real PITA. No PITA squared..........PITA cubed!! Stupid and common stuff like relay sockets, crimp lugs, etc. Just been informed, "no more 7 wire cable (to send with the kits) till beginning of November. Copper is an international commodity, "don't you know". Got enough left for three kits.. Fortunately, I scrambled and found few thousand feet of a substitute. It's a little thicker, white is 10 gauge and all the others are 12 gauge. All the wiring will be done with yellow crimp lugs.

Henry,

Do you have that manual available by PDF?  Send my email?

Marcel