$14 fill for 20# LP tank

This winter in SW Oklahoma I found a place for $12 tank fills, then the Texas Freeze came and the price was almost $20. Sort of expected the same recently in NE OK, but was surprised when they said $14. What prices are you paying? 

Rod

ps  I bought my tanks and have not "Exchanged" them at any site. If they won't fill my tanks I move on to the next place. rl

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

A Walmart near me has the exchange for $14 which I do not think is bad, especially if the date codes are getting old, For my 40lb bottle I have been averaging $33-35 each, Tractor Supply is currently $3.09 a gallon near ne

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I filled a 20# bottle at a Love's in east TX several days ago and paid $3.39/gallon for a total of $10.17. Had the bottle been empty it would have been very close to $14.

Edit: That was a 20# bottle. Fumbling fingers hit the wrong key!

Edited by Kirk W
correct typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

51 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I filled a 30# bottle at a Love's in east TX several days ago and paid $3.39/gallon for a total of $10.17. Had the bottle been empty it would have been very close to $14.

Isn't a 30 lb bottle 7 gallons?  If you fill 7 gallons to 80%, isn't that 5.6 gallons.  At $3.39 gallon, wouldn't that be $18.98 to fill an empty bottle?  Have I missed one of my figures?

1 hour ago, durangodon said:

Isn't a 30 lb bottle 7 gallons?  If you fill 7 gallons to 80%, isn't that 5.6 gallons.  At $3.39 gallon, wouldn't that be $18.98 to fill an empty bottle?  Have I missed one of my figures?

An empty 30 pound bottle will take 7 gallons to fill it to the recommended 80% level.  So at $3.39 aa gallon the total would be closer to $24.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

The 30 lb bottle rating is for 30 lb at 80% full or 7 gallons.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

LP runs $2.59/gal in central FL. I fill a 30# tank at about 7 gal at around $18. Kirk if you 30# tank holds that small an amount iot probably need to be vented. The guy who fills the tank back in FL gaive me a lecture about the evils of carrying the tank on it's side which he says causes air to get in the tank and reduces capacity.

At least that's how he explained it.

A 30 lb tank holds 7 gallons of propane and weighs 55 lbs full.

Edited by agesilaus

In NW Illinois I have been paying $30 or nearly $40 to fill a 40# tank. Same price no matter if the tank is empty or half full. Big difference in overhead between fellow living in his RV near buying and a Big Box store.

Years ago, I use to track wholesale energy prices versus BTU. Some fuels was more violable to price swings ( like gasoline) than other energy. But using a rolling average Electric was the most stable in price due to  a lot of regulation. Coal was steady but seasonal demand did effect Gasoline, Propane, Oils (diesel included) all about the same percent change per BTU . On the retail side the cost of handling, delivery and taxes can differ.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

2 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

An empty 30 pound bottle will take 7 gallons to fill it to the recommended 80% level.  So at $3.39 aa gallon the total would be closer to $24.

39 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

The 30 lb bottle rating is for 30 lb at 80% full or 7 gallons.

Thanks.  I had always thought that the 7 gallons was maximum capacity, not safe fill capacity.  Happy to learn differently.

some places have a minimum fee as labor cost is essentially the same to fill a 20, 30, or 40lb bottle.  I think Kirk said his tank was not empty which might account for the lower price.  One place i dealt with would charge the cheaper rate based on amount if you filled say two bottles that came up to the minimum for the lower price.

The local LP refiller near our NY cottage runs a Mother's Day 1/2 price LP sale every year, but with COVID he extended it for the entire Mother's Day week to space out the customers. I had two 30 lb'ers and a 40 lb'er refilled for $34.50 and the motorhome tank topped up for $20. I did get roped into refilling cylinders for other people for half an hour or so until a late employee showed up for his shift, but I got a couple of free breakfast sandwiches out of it from their deli.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

14 hours ago, durangodon said:

1 gallon of propane weighs 4.2 pounds. A "full" 20 lb cylinder should have 4.7 gallons or propane in it and weighs about 37#. A 30 lb tank holds 7 gallons of propane and weighs 55 lbs full. 

I made a typo above as the bottle that I filled was the 20# variety. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Last year in Sun City, AZ, we were paying $1.99 a gallon for propane.  We started out this past winter season at $2.09 a gallon, and then after the freeze in Texas, the price slowly crept up to $2.69 a gallon, which is still really reasonable compared to prices in 2013 at over $4.00 a gallon and getting close to $5.00 a gallon that we saw in Missouri that winter.

On 5/16/2021 at 4:47 AM, dblr said:

A Walmart near me has the exchange for $14 which I do not think is bad, especially if the date codes are getting old, For my 40lb bottle I have been averaging $33-35 each, Tractor Supply is currently $3.09 a gallon near ne

Just filled a 40# and a 20 # together were $37.00

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

If you are in Montana or Idaho look for Bretz RV. They sell propane for 99 cents/gal during the summer months.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Just did our annual fill up of our 500 gallon underground tank, this time it took 320 gallons and was 2.49 a gallon plus tax and fees, delivered  to our S&B in south Florida. Always fill it up in the month of May , prices seem to be the lowest in this area that time of year and its right before Hurricane season starts so we are full in case we loose power and have to run the tri fuel generator