Recommendations for AGM battery w/ at least 100ah

jules2go

Hello --

Looking for recommendations for one of these to replace my current flooded lead acid battery group 24 for my 15ft teardrop with solar panels on the roof. It doesn't have to be group 24 (not sure 100ah comes in group 24). I boondock often. I have limited knowledge of batteries! Applications I need to run when boondocking include a couple of laptops, phone, a couple of interior lights, propane fridge; the electronics for about 8 consecutive hours a few days a week. And I'm on a budget. 

Looking at Universal, Vmax, Interstate maybe, but totally open to recommendations. My local Interstate distributor is offering me a dual purpose group 31 AGM, but I don't need a starting battery and from what I've read, I should not use one of those anyway, just a regular "house" battery.... yes? 

Thanks in advance!

Nucamp T@b 320S, Toyota Tacoma

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

We bought ours from Sam's Club and have had them now for 4 years. Still working fine. Charge up fast. They are Duracell.

Thank you. Duracell is available at Batteries Plus. I see what they have. 

Edited by jules2go
clarification of request

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

Fullriver makes a very good AGM battery in various form factors for a reasonable price.  I have used them with good success for many years now.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

17 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Fullriver makes a very good AGM battery in various form factors for a reasonable price.  I have used them with good success for many years now.

Thank you, will check them out.

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

On 5/15/2021 at 10:10 AM, jules2go said:

Hello --

Looking for recommendations for one of these to replace my current flooded lead acid battery group 24 for my 15ft teardrop with solar panels on the roof. It doesn't have to be group 24 (not sure 100ah comes in group 24). I boondock often. I have limited knowledge of batteries! Applications I need to run when boondocking include a couple of laptops, phone, a couple of interior lights, propane fridge; the electronics for about 8 consecutive hours a few days a week. And I'm on a budget. 

Looking at Universal, Vmax, Interstate maybe, but totally open to recommendations. My local Interstate distributor is offering me a dual purpose group 31 AGM, but I don't need a starting battery and from what I've read, I should not use one of those anyway, just a regular "house" battery.... yes? 

Thanks in advance!

Check on CAT brand , as in Caterpillar . 

Our original CAT AGM lasted 12 years . Never did a thing to it , while we had it . I lied . I'm pretty sure I dusted it off a couple times . ;)

I tried a flooded cell when the CAT died . I returned it about 5 - 6 months later and bought another CAT brand .

No regrets . 

Goes around , comes around .

• 4 weeks later...

I have bought AGM batteries off of Facebook marketplace with good results.  Most of the vendors that service the major cell phone carrier towers replace their standard UPS batteries after several years.  In most cases these batteries have seen limited use and originally were designed per commercial specs.  Two I recently bought had ratings of 10-12 years at 5000 charge / discharge cycles (Hitachi CS3 HRL 1254OW FR).  The guy I bought from was near Atlanta and serviced the SE.  Just waited for him to travel near my area so that I could meet him and buy (shipping costs would be a killer).  He performs capacity load tests on his before selling them.  The two 134 AH batteries were $60 each and so far have performed very well over the last year.  We used to buy similar batteries from others for many years to buy backup power supply batteries for a ham radio  repeater on a remote hilltop.  They will typically last several years.  As any other lead acid battery, the key is to limit discharges to <50% and keep them in a reasonably cool environment.  Regardless, these batteries were a significant upgrade to my previous Group 24 70 AH battery.  My two cents.

37 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Regardless, these batteries were a significant upgrade to my previous Group 24 70 AH battery. 

Good information. Mind sharing who you bought from? Are you sure about (Hitachi CS3 HRL 1254OW FR)? What I found online was CSB HRL 1254OW FR for $308.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI