Bed Build Planning

rickeieio

3 hours ago, trimster said:

So I'm pushing $10k on my build. Tools, fab, steel/metal,  paint.

I mentioned that you did some things that at the time, I thought frivolous.  Now I wish I'd followed suit.  It'll be in the presentation......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been fun watching your posts and looking at the photos. Sorry I can't see the official reveal at the ECR. Will the presentation be available after the event? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Thanks Rod.  It's encouraging when I hear from someone who is paying attention to the old broken down farmer's ramblings.  This has been a fun project, and I've learned a lot.  There's a long list of things I wouldn't do again, which will be part of the presentation.

As far as the presentation being available, that's up to Carl.  He's retired and has nothing else to do.........😁

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

This has been a fun project, and I've learned a lot. 

Every time I learn something new, I forget something I've known for years. It has been a real pleasure watching the progress, even if you didn't do things the way I would have.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Some of the things I would do differently:

Design as less component count.  This bed comes apart as 11 pieces, nearly all manageable by a person.  Only one requires a fork lift or other lifting device.  I could reduce the panel count and lessen the bolt count.  Thus less alignment issues.

Design in CAD and have pieces cut/bent/punched. (more $$, but likely worth it)

Leave more access to rear of lights.

On the flip side, I achieved my goals of: lower deck height, lower car height, no frame isolators needed, no cross members, relatively low cost.  Service access to rear axles with bed in place, grin factor of doing it myself.

In the end, I paid for metal bending and paint.  Everything else, we (Susan, myself, and a couple passer-by helpers) did ourselves.   And it shows.  I'm not a welder or a real fabricator.  There are flaws.  I should have spent more time on body finishing.  But it's done.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Great looking Bed! Being able to do it yourself gives a person a real since of accomplishment. You and your assistant did a magnificent job. Something to be proud of because you did it "Yourself". I wish we could be at the ECR but having sold Pats Pride after towing with it for 10 years we don't have anything to tow! So have a great week and our thoughts will be there even if we aren't.    Pat

The Old Sailor

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Thanks Pat.  I wish you could be there too.

X2

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I formally introduced the KW to the Newmar today.  Hitching up with an ET is similar to our old hitch, but not the same.  New pieces, tight tolerances, not enough weight transfer to the hitch all conspired to make things difficult.  But we prevailed.

Of course, while hitching up I noticed my rear most running lights on the bed were operating with my brake lights.  Huh?  How could that be?  After some head scratching, I determined there must be a stray strand of wire in the 7 pin outlet causing issues. (Trailer was plugged in.) Of course the outer case was broken and pieces missing on my brand new outlet.  Blame it on the paint shop.  Went to get my spare outlet (always carry a spare) and realized this WAS my spare.  Now I needed two.

Took it all apart and learned Fluid Film doesn't taste good.  I was holding some of the screws in my lips so as not to drop them.......  More pondering led to me checking the Jackalopee to check which wire was ground.  Gotta be that bigger white one, right?  Sure it is.  But that didn't stop me from plugging it onto the "reverse in" tab.  Dumba$$.

Tomorrow we check air pressures, wheel bearings, and load tool boxes.  And mow grass, before we need to bale it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Another follower here.  I plan on "stealing" your rear design.  I like it.  Mine is in need of some improvements and lengthening as I have NO underbed boxes but need them.  I got my DROM mounted and the doors for it as well.

I have taken photos and attempted to post on this topic but cant seem to figure out how to get them to a size that will allow for posting.  Seems all my pics at more than 1.2.  Is there another way?

I am glad to have you all share your ideas and handywork.  It all looks good from here.

Marcel

Thanks.  Knowing I've helped others is huge.  And sharing the pitfalls is at least as important as the successes.

BTW, I didn't make up that rear design.  I copied it from others, and gave it a personal touch.

As for posting photos, I use the link posted near the top of the index page, first suggested here by, I believe, Carl Wagner and later put up permanently by Jack.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

As for posting photos, I use the link posted near the top of the index page, first suggested here by, I believe, Carl Wagner and later put up permanently byJack.”

Thanks for the props Rick but have to give Jack full credit for the picture posting link.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On 4/14/2022 at 8:14 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

As for posting photos, I use the link posted near the top of the index page, first suggested here by, I believe, Carl Wagner and later put up permanently byJack.”

Thanks for the props Rick but have to give Jack full credit for the picture posting link.

Thanks to who ever put it up.

It does need some clarification for use, but not sure how it can be done. It's much easier than the "OLD" way of posting, but certainly not as easy as a lot of forums I participate in. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

Great job a the presentation today.  You both should be proud of what you did.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

8 hours ago, rickeieio said:

The presentation at the ECR was today, so as advertised. here's the finished product:

wlAnchwl.jpg

X21HPpPl.jpg

xPw02KQl.jpg

Looks great. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Thanks.  Although it was fun, I wouldn't do it the same way again.   But it suits our needs, for now.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Second the great presentation. Thanks Rick. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Coming to these rallies was a great inspiration to attempt this project.  We gleaned a bunch of ideas from other beds, both commercially built, and home brewed.  We couldn't have done it without that perspective and the encouragement we received from others.  This group has been my driving force.  Thank you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN