Dometic RM2620 RV fridge only works on slope

The Dometic Rm2620 fridge in our RV is working like a charm when it's parked in our driveway that is sloped, but the minute we level it to camp, the fridge stops working.  No A/C and No Propane, but the lights on the control panel all light up and look as though the fridge is working. Please help, it seems our problem is the opposite to everyone else's that I can find online.

Here's an article that may explain it:

https://camperreport.com/why-rvs-have-to-be-level-and-how-to-do-it-faster/#:~:text=Where this all becomes a,able to move any refrigerant.

All the refrigerant has moved to one side when you're parked on the slope.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Kirk proposed the probable cause, to check place a small level on the bottom of  the freezer section, or if you have a phone app for leveling use that after leveling the RV.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I take it the burner is burning or the check light would be on. It sounds like when the unit is out of level the refrigerant may be going to the outlet of the reciever so it works but when it's level it can't get out of the reciever because it's short of refrigerant. Inspect the hole cooling unit for any signs of yellow powder indicating a leak. These units rely on gravity unlike units with a compressor. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

After you level the trailer, then check refrigerator for level, the normal limits for safe operation of the refrigerator is 3° side-to-side, 6° front-to-back (as looking inside the refrigerator)

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

.... from the link I posted:

"Where this all becomes a problem for a refrigerator is when the fluid can’t move properly. If an RV is parked on an unlevel surface, then the refrigerant fluid has likely all moved to one side. If it all moves to one side it can cause the refrigerant pump to be starved, and it won’t be able to move any refrigerant. If it all moves to the other side, then it will get flooded.

Starving the pump is really the situation that causes all of the major problems. When the pump gets starved, all of the refrigerant fluid remains in place. Some of the fluid can then overheat. When that happens, small crystals precipitate out of the solution. This is really bad".

Full-timed for 16 Years

8 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

.... from the link I posted:

"Where this all becomes a problem for a refrigerator is when the fluid can’t move properly. If an RV is parked on an unlevel surface, then the refrigerant fluid has likely all moved to one side. If it all moves to one side it can cause the refrigerant pump to be starved, and it won’t be able to move any refrigerant. If it all moves to the other side, then it will get flooded.

Starving the pump is really the situation that causes all of the major problems. When the pump gets starved, all of the refrigerant fluid remains in place. Some of the fluid can then overheat. When that happens, small crystals precipitate out of the solution. This is really bad".

There is no pump in this style of refrigerator, they rely on themo expansion from a heat source and gravity. The newer units like the OP will take a lot more out of level operation than the older units.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

17 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The only thing that I can think of would be if the refrigerator is installed out of level?

16 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Kirk proposed the probable cause, to check place a small level on the bottom of  the freezer section, or if you have a phone app for leveling use that after leveling the RV.

14 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

After you level the trailer, then check refrigerator for level, the normal limits for safe operation of the refrigerator is 3° side-to-side, 6° front-to-back (as looking inside the refrigerator)

Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions! I’ll have to pull it down the road to check the fridge level. I’ll keep you posted about what I find!

2 hours ago, Sarah T said:

I’ll keep you posted about what I find!

We will do our best to help, so do keep us informed. Because RV refrigerators use convection flow to move the refrigerant through the system, that does make them somewhat sensitive to leveling, although it has improved some over the years. There is a video on Youtube about refrigerator leveling that you may find helpful. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

28 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

We will do our best to help, so do keep us informed. Because RV refrigerators use convection flow to move the refrigerant through the system, that does make them somewhat sensitive to leveling, although it has improved some over the years. There is a video on Youtube about refrigerator leveling that you may find helpful. 

That doesn't answer the OP's question.... why does it work when it's parked on unlevel conditions?

Full-timed for 16 Years

9 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

.. why does it work when it's parked on unlevel conditions?

Which is exactly what some of us are attempting to help her figure out.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

That doesn't answer the OP's question.... why does it work when it's parked on unlevel conditions?

Hard to answer not being there or even if we were grrrrrrrrrrrrr Based on my experiences  I tend to agree with Ray above, Iffffffffff it works fine ?? with the RV off level but NOT otherwise, I wonder if the fridge is level relative to the RV ?? Other thoughts are there are minor restrictions in the return such that a slight off level condition allows adequate return while perfect level does not????? I have seen them fail (even if now perfect level)  after they were operated too far off level for too long of a time.  

This may be hard to answer over the net but we do the best we can

John T