How do you title a road tractor as motorhome in New York State?

Walter B.

I'm trying to change my NYS title from tractor to motorhome with a lot of resistance. Under 15 CRR-NY 106.3 (e) it should be possible. I called Albany and they tell me as long as it has a 5th wheel I can't. I emailed in pictures with a breif expanation so the higher ups can make a decision. According to the agent I spoke with, there's something in the law addressing 5th wheels. Can anyone assist?

Thank you Jaydrvr. The contributer from NY seemed to have a fifth wheel hurdle as well. I hope there's nothing on the books against it. I don't want to do an end run just to have problems on the road with my family. I think NYS DMV just gave me the bum rush by asking me to email further information and then not replying. Still waiting but I'm researching too.

Expect the folks at NYS DMV to be TOTALLY UNAWARE of what Jaydvr has reported. Also, should you ever be stopped by LEOs, expect them to be similarly unaware. I'd find out EXACTY WHAT sections of VTL (or the even more arcane" Commissioner's Rules and Regulations") apply here and, have copies of all the applicable sections printed out, organized in a folder, ready to present to DMV and LEOs as necessary. A "Standard" NYS "D" Class license that has an "R" endorsement will cover non commercial vehicle weight over 26,000#. You're also likely to need an endorsement for Air Brakes. Once you add on "pulling a trailer" it gets just a little more complicated. Most bureaucrats NOT do well handling "complicated". Remain patient and present the DETAILED paperwork. Once a local employee is presented with paperwork "above their pay grade" they'll call a supervisor (or the "mothership" in Albany). If I remember correctly, Jaydrv brought donuts which might have made DMV staff more willing to do the legwork that was necessary. GOOD LUCK!

PS: I found it easier to just leave NYS. 

• 1 month later...