I bought a truck

DG N. AL

19 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Darryl,

Looking up the definition of "surly", a word I did know existed, it would appear it could oft times apply to me, not to be construed in any way to apply to the rest of this bunch of many wheeled vagabonds. :D

Dave

Now Dave you cannot claim to be the only surly one in this group( some of us look up to you as our mentor 🥴). Besides we all love you just the way you are.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

On 5/2/2021 at 7:52 PM, DG N. AL said:

I have an air leak at the solenoids on the cross member under the cab.  One of the solenoids is cracked.  I need to remove them in the morning and then decide how much to replace.

That manifold you mention should have 5 solenoids on it. I have replaced the one for the air horn a couple of times. I'm not sure if they are all the same or if they use different pressures but I have one for the sliding hitch that is not used any longer so when I needed to replace one I just swapped that solenoid into the position that was not working. That did not work and I had to buy one anyway. Just mentioned this because if you do not know what is controlled by the one that is leaking they are also color coded by the air line. I do not have the colors handy right now but could probably find them if needed.

Last thing about the manifold you are going to remove. The holes that the bolts use have a bushing in them. Something else to jump out and escape if you do not know they are there (guess how I found out?). 

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

12 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

That manifold you mention should have 5 solenoids on it. I have replaced the one for the air horn a couple of times. I'm not sure if they are all the same or if they use different pressures but I have one for the sliding hitch that is not used any longer so when I needed to replace one I just swapped that solenoid into the position that was not working. That did not work and I had to buy one anyway. Just mentioned this because if you do not know what is controlled by the one that is leaking they are also color coded by the air line. I do not have the colors handy right now but could probably find them if needed.

Last thing about the manifold you are going to remove. The holes that the bolts use have a bushing in them. Something else to jump out and escape if you do not know they are there (guess how I found out?). 

My manifold has 4 solenoids.  The truck does not have an air horn.  As you say, one of my solenoids was for the sliding fifth wheel and that has been removed, so I have an extra one also.  The solenoids are all the same part number and they are replaceable individually.  They just twist together.  You have to extract the wire pins from the connectors, but that is not hard if you have the proper tools.  But that is the problem of using the "extra" one.  You have to move the wires in the connector or try to figure out what switch is now controlling the solenoid.  My sliding fifth wheel switch has been removed to install a camera display in the dash.

I just plugged off the input line to the manifold to get home.  That meant I could not dump my suspension air, but nothing of importance was affected.  New solenoid is installed and everything is normal now. 

Edited by DG N. AL

11 hours ago, DG N. AL said:

My manifold has 4 solenoids.  The truck does not have an air horn. 

You don't have an air horn??? That is just wrong. Big trucks are supposed to have big horns. My 630 has an air horn and a little in town horn.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

On 5/1/2021 at 3:34 PM, DG N. AL said:

We are now part of the hdt community.  It is a 2012 Volvo 630.   The plans are to put a bed on it at some point.  We want to add windows to the sleeper and replace the bunk with a bench seat.  I trip to see Jack Mayer may be in the planning.  We lowered the pin box on the trailer after these pictures were taken.  I still need to get the hitch an inch or two higher.  I have not played with the height valve on the ET hitch yet.  I am not sure if I can raise it or not. 

20210429_161834.jpg

20210429_161818.jpg

20210429_161729.jpg

When you go to see Jack, over in Dennis Kansas you are 45 miles from Pittsburg Kansas, my home town. If you like fried Chicken you have to go to Chicken Annie's or Chicken Mary's. If you like to fish or hunt you have to go to John's Sport's Center ( I worked there as a kid) If you like good lunch meat you have to go to Pulluca's Grocery store in Frontenac Kansas. Frontenac is attached to Pittsburg. If you are a steak person go to Jim's Steak house. If you like great Italian Sausage and want to take some home, go to Ron's IGA, go to the meat department and ask for Charlie, he will get you the best Italian link sausage, it was my great grandfather's recipe that he uses, still today. My great uncle taught Charlie how to butcher.

I am going back this summer to see Jack also. I am more that likely going to drop my truck off with him for the year to do "fill work" on. I live in Vegas and go back to S.E. Kansas to see my family in the summers when school is out here in Las Vegas and make a trip up to see my wife's family in Michigan.

Later,

Vegas Teacher