Greetings All

KodiakJack

Wow have things changed in 40 plus years.  Not sure when I was first licensed but did find my old call listed in 79, 80 and 81 books.  I lapsed a way long time ago and recently decided to renew.  Managed to study enough to get my General license.  Starting to organize and get a bit more up to date.

Picked up a couple of the 8 watt Baofeng handhelds along with a programing cable, downloaded the CHIRP software, and got up fairly quick.  I have gone through many handheld VHF radios over the years and still have the last pair of Icom F3's the DW and I used for search and rescue.  The programing software for them is on 3-1/4 floppy and if I can get it on my laptop I will replace the antennas and batteries.  Anyway the Baofeng's hits the local repeater just fine.  Added a 5/8 wave dual band Tram antenna on a 10 foot stick of conduit to use with them when not portable.  Plan to get a mag mount antenna for the pickup.  Meanwhile my brother is suppose to be shipping my old Yaesu FT-101-E down here to Yuma.  Currently researching both HF antennas and locations to park one or more.  No trees around here for a dipole so am researching alternatives and am leaning toward a vertical I can get up and down by myself.

Anyway KL7AZ here.  I will be back with lots of questions....

Later,

J

Edited by KodiakJack

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Greetings! There are a number of HAM operators here although this particular forum is not that active. 

I had a thread here on mounting my Yaesu FT-8800 in my truck. I have not invested in Baofeng as I read mixed reviews. I have a Yaesu FT-60 for an HT. I have another Yaesu in the wings whenever find the space to make a home for it in the RV. 

So welcome back to the world of HAM!

KC6USN

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

73 back to you Chalkie.  The Yaesu's I have handled have been nice radios.  We used to call them 'rice burners' but most all now are.

Thanks for the reply. 

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS