Flexible exhaust pipe hangers, question concerning their use.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I have finally gotten around to working on the exhaust system on my Pete, no wonder it was getting loud the rear of the "Y" pipe was completely rusted-blown away.

IMG_4570-XL.jpg

IMG_4569-XL.jpg

When taking the Y pipe off, there are 2 exhaust hangers that have a metal mount to the frame of the truck then have a flexible section about 8 inches long and then a metal clamp that goes around onto the Y pipe.  As the cab has air suspension and the  mufflers are mounted to the cab, I understand why there is a flexible connection between the Y pipe and the frame.  My question is this, before I took the Y pipe off, even with the cab mounts full of air there was a lot of flex in the flexible mount, what I am trying to say is that the flexible mount did NOT support any weight even with the cab mounts fully extended.  As the flexible mounts did NOT support weight, are they needed?  The reason I ask this question is because the flexible mounts cost 250 dollars EACH, those 2 mounts cost more the all the other parts I need to replace to bring my exhaust system back into great shape.

I am wondering if the flexible mounts aren't more of a vibration dampner then an actual weight supporting mount, any advise or suggestions is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Rubber flex section, or braided metal? I can't see the rubber ones being that much. Depending on how they're installed, flexible supports can either be for weight support, or sound attenuation. If they're mounted vertically, supporting a horizontal section of pipe, then they're load carrying. When they're mounted horizontally, they might be keeping the stack tips square, or taking some of the ring out of the metal.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Rubber flex section, or braided metal? I can't see the rubber ones being that much. Depending on how they're installed, flexible supports can either be for weight support, or sound attenuation. If they're mounted vertically, supporting a horizontal section of pipe, then they're load carrying. When they're mounted horizontally, they might be keeping the stack tips square, or taking some of the ring out of the metal.

Howdy Darryl,

The flexible mounts bolt to the bottom of the frame rail, they hang down and then clamp to the Y pipe. The rubber section doesn't hang straight down as it would IF it were supporting weight, even with the cab mounts fully aired up it has a curve in it.

I posted this same question on https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/   the Peterbilt forum, the answers I am getting seem to point to the mounts being more of a vibration-sound dampner then a weight supporting function.  So I'll replace them, the main problem in doing this is removing the huck bolts that hold these mounts to the underside of the frame, they are in a place where I don't feel comfortable using a cutting torch, using a grinder would take next to forever as would using any sort of cut off disk.  Looking at the tools I have available I think I will give my skill saw which is setup with a metal cutting blade a try, if there is room to get the saw placed so that I can use the blade to saw a slot through the nut and bolt the half's of the nut should be easy to knock aside, that is if it stops raining so I can get under the truck without drowning.

As to the cost, I have looked at the big truck store web sites, called and talked to folks and can't get a straight answer to "Can you guarantee that this part will fit and replace the stock part in my STOCK exhaust system?"  No one will give me an answer to that question but they will sell me a complete system with big pipes that I don't want; nor will they pay return shipping or give a refund on parts they will sell me that don't work in "MY" application.  The parts sold by Peterbilt, are like all the others made in china but they will fit.  If I could buy a part I knew would fit someplace else I would do so.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Phil D changed the title to Flexible exhaust pipe hangers, question concerning their use.

Dave, its been a while but I dont remember my Pete having any of those brackets. Just a straight pipe off the drop down from the turbo then some flex to the T.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

4 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Dave, its been a while but I dont remember my Pete having any of those brackets. Just a straight pipe off the drop down from the turbo then some flex to the T.

Howdy Jon,

There are about 10 different exhaust pipe configurations figuring out which pipes are needed is a mess, Peterbilt does NOT want to give out part numbers to make after market cross referencing easy.  The parts I am using are based on the VIN, build number of my truck, for the mileage I put on the truck I could probably get by without spending the money for the flexible hangers but that's just not right so I am going to replace everything that needs it so the big yeller kitty under the Hood, will purr rather then snarl.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 5/1/2021 at 1:41 PM, Lance A Lott said:

If you can get to the huck bolts with a cut off disk 30 second will usaly go half way through then hit it with a hamer a few times they snap off. You dont have to get tight to the frame nore do you need to cut the flange part of the nut.

Howdy Lance A Lott,

Thanks for the tip, we are out of town for a few days but I will start working on the truck when I get back home and give this tip a try.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

mr. cob can you fabricate hanger isolation from some conveyor belting pieces? 

I cannot remember in my mind what the hangers you are needing look like... 

You do need a new Y pipe 🤣

We used belting once at the top exhaust mount on the cab on a 359 which reduced noise conveyed to the cab structure up there quite a bit. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

6 hours ago, Yotaonrocks said:

Mr. Cob assuming yours are the same here is a link to an online store that has them for $99 a piece. https://www.dansshopinc.com/shop/peterbilt-flexible-exhaust-mount/

Howdy Yotaonrocks,

Thanks for the link, I have already paid for the parts at the local Pete, store but your advice may save some other person some money, thanks for your reply.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg