HDT Won't Regen

Uncle Petey

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and also  to the HDT community. Back in  December I finally pulled the plug and purchased a  new to me 2015 Peterbuilt 579 low roof small sleeper. I immediately began tearing the  commercial hitch off and shortened the frame and moved the axels up to single it short.  Well I have pulled with the truck about 5 trips and its been a totally different but cool experience. However I'm having one issue which is costing me a lot of additional money. Every now and then the truck regen lights comes on once I park and pull the air parking brake. the light only comes on  for a brief second then goes away  also  no fault codes or check engine lights appear. Concerned I took this into the Peterbuilt dealer and ultimately they advised me that the truck is not producing enough heat to  successfully due a passive or parked regen . They  further state that this is do to my fiver only weighing 16,618lbs, which is not enough weight to create the regen to burn the soot out.  on 2 separate occasions I went to the peterbuilt dealer where they plug the computer in  and do a force regen this seems to solve the issue but only for about 19 engine hours  and then it wants to  do another regen which has to  go back to the dealer and repeat the same process. 

My next step is to pay another boat load of money and have the DPF filter cleaned  and start fresh  as I'm  the 3rd owner  but the truck only has 256k on the clock.  This Pete has the PACCAR MX 13 motor which i hear now is very fussy!!!.....   I also  researched a fuel additive from Pittsburgh Power which is a catalyst  and it is super expensive $220 dollars for a  jug . This is supposed to  assist on  lesser regens by burning the fuel at a higher temp thus creating less soot . Any idea or assistance would be greatly appreciated. If I have to go to  a dealer every 19hrs this will be a failed  venture  stressed and confused. 

Your truck should have an emissions systems manual booklet on board. Give that a read and make sure you are not seeing the high system temperature warning lamp which comes on when your system is in passive regen mode when you park. It is a warning that the exhaust system is above normal idle temperature. It is not a malfunction indication. It looks kinda like a thermometer picture thingy.

There is also a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) and Check Engine Lamp (CEL)

All this and more is described in the emission manual. 

In basic terms (all I'm capable of :)) the DPF is a ceramic filter that captures soot and particulates in the exhaust gas.  

Soot is produced by "rolling coal" (as Diesel Dimwits call it) conditions - over fuelling. Stomping on the sewing machine pedal vs rolling in throttle to let manifold pressure build, throttle to the rug a low rpm in too high a gear etc. Particulates are a function of quantity of fuel burned. 

So the soot is reduced to ash (= about less that 1% of soot volume) by heat in the filter.

Enough heat happens when:

- the engine is in lug down / full stack temperature on a grade or head wind - the engine cannot accelerate but is in operating rpm range. High normal exhaust gas temperature is enough to regen the filter. 

- or - the differential back pressure across the filter says passive regen is needed but the EGT is too low for the above - the system introduces fuel behind the turbo while the truck is moving which burns in the aftertreatment system causing high enough temperature to regen the filter

- or - none of above can be met and the system advises the driver to either create the above or do a parked regen.  Instructions for doing this are in the manual. Idle RPM will increase, variable geometry turbocharger will increase air, fuel will be introduced, a bit of stinkiness will occur, don't park in dry grass and do this. 

A Kenworth has a switch on the dash to do parked regen. They can also have a switch on the dash to turn off the regen system for entry into refineries and enclosed loading areas etc. When this gets left "turned off" lights and confusion will follow.  

Forced regens at the shop are normally done when there has been a failure so that none of the above will work...  but they must have had a reason to do it. 

Doing it over and over in 20 hours doesn't sound right... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.