Stupid question: how to know when to run the generator to charge batteries?

John Reich

4 hours ago, John Reich said:

What upgrades would you recommend and what would be the benefits?

Take a look at the converter in the RV and get make & model information and any other numbers it has and post them here as there is a lot of solid advice on the forums once you share that. With a 15 year old RV, the converter may or may not be original as is true for pretty much everything. We could probably give better advice also by knowing the make/model of the RV you purchased since that would tell us much about what you have since most things are probably still original . Tires should be high on your list to upgrade but you should look at the date code that is impressed on the sidewall of each tire. Appliance lifespan can vary widely depending upon the amount of use it has had and to the care it was given. I would strongly suggest having some financial reserves for the day that some of them need to be replaced. 

2 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

This first thing to do is to find your converter. It may be incorporated into a "Power Center" that also contains 12V fuses and 120 volt circuit breakers.

While that likely is the case, not all RVs are set up in that way. Some of them have separate 120V distribution panels with the 12V fuse panel in a completely different device and location.  Knowing the make/model or RV would narrow that down.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Take a look at the converter in the RV and get make & model information and any other numbers it has and post them here as there is a lot of solid advice on the forums once you share that. With a 15 year old RV, the converter may or may not be original as is true for pretty much everything. We could probably give better advice also by knowing the make/model of the RV you purchased since that would tell us much about what you have since most things are probably still original .

I updated my profile.  I have a 2006 Travel Supreme 40DS04. I will check the convertor today when I'm out there.  Tires are good.  I need to get the roof resealed though so Im looking at adding some stuff to it first.  a solar array and a big wifi antenna for starters.  Any recs for those?

11 minutes ago, John Reich said:

Tires are good. 

Does that mean that you have checked the manufacturer's date codes and the tires are less than 5 years old? An old tire that has not been on the highways is a blowout waiting to happen, no matter how good it may look. 

EDUdot_DOT-illustration.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

While that likely is the case, not all RVs are set up in that way. Some of them have separate 120V distribution panels with the 12V fuse panel in a completely different device and location.  Knowing the make/model or RV would narrow that down.

Which is why I said it "may be" incorporated into a Power Center. Which clearly means that it may not be. Pretty obvious I thought...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

23 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Which is why I said it "may be" incorporated into a Power Center. Which clearly means that it may not be. Pretty obvious I thought...

Good point.  Unfortunately, the modern version is 'may or may not', which is redundant because 'may' already means that. 

with (need a min of 6 100 watt panels up on the roof) or without solar, or AC hook up. best to charge up your batteries from a generator when the sun is above the skyline. campground noise thing. and of course have plenty of battery storage, (min of 3000amps). less if in a car or small van.