Extended Warranties for your RV

Downsizing

I'm researching Extended Warranty Policies.  So far I've looked at Good Sam and America's RV Warranty.  Has anyone had experience with America's RV Warranty administrated by Headstart Warranty Group?  I'm trying to find real life reviews of their claim service.  Does anyone recommend a particular company?

Some of us just self-fund.  Put the amount of the insurance into an account and. ADD TO IT EVERY MONTH.   I know it doesn’t work for everyone, but it worked for us.   Plus, we have found that if one or two parts has a problem, them both are replaced.   But, you have to be steadfast in setting aside that money each month.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The extended warranty is nothing more than an insurance policy.  You are betting you will get more back than you put into the premiums.  The warranty is betting that you will not get back nearly as much as you repay in premiums.

As Barbara noted above, many self-fund the repairs.  Take the amount you would pay to the warranty company and set it aside and use this for your repairs.  

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

17 hours ago, Downsizing said:

I'm researching Extended Warranty Policies.

As always seems to be the case, your first responses are anti-extended warranty posts. But the actual facts are there there are RV owners who have purchased them and been very satisfied with the services received. While it is true that the so called extended warranties are actually insurance policies, those who say that with such negative intentions buy insurance for their homes and cars and that is little different. The question of getting one or not should be approached in a business like manner. Good business principles say that you should insure to cover any loss that would cause you serious financial harm, but do not insure to cover things that your financial circumstances can cover without undue stress.  None of this or the first to replies address your question at all, so I'll restate it in the hope that people will cooperate and stop trying to convince you of their own opinions. 

17 hours ago, Downsizing said:

Has anyone had experience with America's RV Warranty administrated by Headstart Warranty Group?  I'm trying to find real life reviews of their claim service.  Does anyone recommend a particular company?

(Emphasis added)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am appreciative of all perspectives. However, I have already decided to get an extended warranty and just need some real life experiences with various companies to help me choose the best option. Does anyone have an extended warranty plan they are happy with? Or they definitely warn against? Has anyone heard of America’s RV Warranty? So far they are the best policy for the money. 

Years ago we had Xtra Ride and they treated  us good when we had to use it.

You need to read the policy in detail and see if it is an exclusionary policy of inclusionary policy.  Make sure that you have full refund cancellation ability for at leash the first 90 days so that you can fully review all the warranty documents.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

3 hours ago, Downsizing said:

So far they are the best policy for the money.

A few years ago I did a lot of research on the subject and one of the more interesting things that I discovered was that majority of the satisfied customers came from those with the more expensive warranties, while most of the unhappy ones came from those with lowest prices. That isn't to say that this is not a good contract, but it is a caution to be very careful and read each word of the contract before you sign and pay for it. 

Kirk, I never said someone shouldn't get one, just said that there is another way to cover your risks.    Yes, we have collision insurance on the car and the motorhome.  But for each of those we have a 1K deductible, and the cost of them is reasonable.   Yes, we had the funds to set up an account for repairs, but also that same fund is for routine maintenance and for replacement of tires/batteries, etc.      

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

My rule of thumb is, “if it has a motor and a transmission, I want an extended warranty.” If either the motor or transmission goes out and all you have is the amount of premium you would have paid and a few monthly deposits in an account you will not be able to cover the cost of repair. If you are purchasing only a trailer or 5th wheel, and you are good at fixing things maybe you could go without the purchase of an extended warranty. To each his own. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

When we started we put 10% of the purchase price of the motorhome into our maintenance fund.  Yes, that was a fair chunk of change and we have been adding to it, each month, for the past 16 years.   From this we pay for all repairs, yearly maintenance, upgrades, replacement of tires/batteries, etc.    Maybe we are unusual in the amount we set aside to begin with, but then I always had a year's worth of mortgage payments set aside, just in case, plus 6 months of living expenses.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 4/28/2021 at 11:43 AM, Downsizing said:

I'm researching Extended Warranty Policies.  So far I've looked at Good Sam and America's RV Warranty.  Has anyone had experience with America's RV Warranty administrated by Headstart Warranty Group?  I'm trying to find real life reviews of their claim service.  Does anyone recommend a particular company?

I really am looking for specific reviews on extended warranty companies. I am not asking about alternatives. Has anyone had experience with America’s RV Warranty?  I am looking for a real life review of there claim response. 

About 15 years ago, we had Xtra Ride extended warranty and the did well on the covered items.  But if it was an excluded item, no way would they pay.  Like I noted earlier, carefully read the contract/policy to know exactly what is and is not covered.

On the RVs since then we self-cover on the repairs.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

57 minutes ago, Downsizing said:

Has anyone had experience with America’s RV Warranty?

Since nobody has yet responded to your question, I did some researching on the company. The Better Business Bureau gives them an A rating, so very nearly a top rating, since A+ is top. The BBB customer reviews give them a 4.41 out of 5 possible. 

In addition, Today's Best gives them their top rating.

If I were shopping for one today, I would compare to the offerings of Wholesale Warranties.

Hopefully we will get responses from others with current experience as it has been some time since I last had an RV with one. 

• 3 months later...

Wondering if you ended up going with America's RV Warranty.  Were you able to find a source for real claims experiences with the company?  I am currently deciding between them and Wholesale Warranties.  I have read BBB and Google reviews, and not finding much to sway me one way or the other. They seem to be very comparable coverages/exclusions and reviews, but America's RV Warranty is certainly a better price.

@gandrsnyes i took the plunge and I ended up going with America’s RV Warranty. Still not a lot of reviews on claims but I did find 2 and they were positive. The price was good and the policy was for 8 years which was nice. Very professional, quick responses to questions, not pushy, and I got my policy immediately through email and hard copy in the mail a week later.  If I should file a claim I’ll post a review here. 

The key to any extended service contract (by law they are not a warranty) is to read and follow the fine print, especially claims qualifications and filing.

It's too late now, but one should always purchase the gaskets and seals rider. Otherwise, if a gasket fails, oil leaks out, engine fails; nothing is covered. It's called consequential damage for the failed seal.

We had an ESC through Good Sam, a 3 yr policy. During the 3 yrs. it more than paid for the premiums and deductibles. I attribute that to working with a service manager who explained what to do and how for each claim.

No ESC I'm aware of pays for the mandatory diagnostic work prior to filing a claim.

As aside; on a different RVing forum a man had the engine blow in his MH, 2X.  He did not have an ESC, his out of pocket was #30,000 the first time, the second time was less.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just now, Ray,IN said:

The key to any extended service contract (by law they are not a warranty) is to read and follow the fine print, especially claims qualifications and filing.

It's too late now, but one should always purchase the gaskets and seals rider. Otherwise, if a gasket fails, oil leaks out, engine fails; nothing is covered. It's called consequential damage for the failed seal.

We had an ESC through Good Sam, a 3 yr policy. During the 3 yrs. it more than paid for the premiums and deductibles. I attribute that to working with a service manager who explained what to do and how for each claim.

No ESC I'm aware of pays for the mandatory diagnostic work prior to filing a claim.

As aside; on a different RVing forum a man had the engine blow in his MH, 2X.  He did not have an ESC, his out of pocket was #20,000 the first time, the second time was less.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 month later...

We’ve had extended warranties on two different motorhomes.  One of the issues we’ve had was having mobile RV techs come to campgrounds to fix problems who work for cash and don’t work with warranty companies.  When we submitted the paperwork to the warranty company they refused to pay anything.  So we paid $400 and got nothing from the warranty.  Lesson learned, every step must be followed or you may be rejected.  Sometimes the situation needs repaired and can’t wait for someone willing to go through the warranties steps.

We’ve paid approximately $6,000 in warranty fees over the past five years and had one claim for $400 and it was rejected.  If we’d have put $100 a month into an account we’d have $6000-$400=$5,600 for repairs.  Hindsight is always 20/20 but this is our view of extended warranties.

I agree with those that put a certain amount aside each month to cover repairs.  

Rick & Phy

Mount Joy, PA

2010 Jayco Melbourne 29D

2016 Jeep Wrangler Toad

We've had our RV for 16 years, never had an 'extended warranty', but put 10% of the purchase price into an account and kept adding to it each month.  This covers not only repairs but also maintenance, and replacement of things like batteries and tires.   We like dealing with mobile techs for smaller things - especially house problems.  Paying in cash always get a smile from them.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I got a mass-mailing from Good Sam Friday advertising their ESC. All they had to do was look at my last contract, and where my MH is too old to cover.☠️

I'm really glad I have an answering machine to screen calls. If the caller isn't speaking English as a first language I don't pick up. IU COVID keeps calling but I can barely understand the Asian woman so I don't answer.

We go get tested again a week from today.

Edited by Ray,IN

Oh, I have been telling the extended warranty people that the owner died last week when the truck caught fire and crashed in the swamp.  He drowned and the alligators got him.

Ken