Beginner going on a road trip

Hi, everyone!

I am very new to this subject but I’m tech savvy so I hope I’ll get good results here. 
I am going on 5 week road trip across USA in suv with a girl who works from home. I have T-Mobile iPhone XR and she has Verizon unlimited plan iPhone XR. 
We will be a lot on the highway and then visiting national parks. 
her work is emailing, calling, texting and video conferencing. 
If I succeed with my connectivity project I will be able to extend my trip for a long time. That’s a lot of fun :)

What equipment or technologies should I explore to have reliable service? 

You need to invest in a WeBoost cell phone booster with the directional antenna.  Even with this set up you can easily be in areas with very weak to no cell signal.  Another expensive option is a satellite phone.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Bear in mind that, as a general rule, "unlimited" plans rarely apply to hotspot data.  They almost always apply to "data from the phone".  (The phones know how you're using it.)

To spend the good money, this is what we used:
https://www.mobilemusthave.com/Ultimate-Road-Warrior-Bundle-with-Poynting_p_168.html
(Currently, we only have AT&T but are adding Verizon soon.)

Changing Lanes has a video on their installation, which very similar to ours. 

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

Check your plans for hotspot limits since it sounds like you will be using a computer in addition to the phones.  Video conferencing uses lots of data.  An iPad with its own unlimited data plan might be something to look at.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

You have a difficult challenge here.  You have high bandwidth but critical needs (working remotely, video conferencing), but only setting out for a 5 week trip (at least to start).  

So it's not likely worth the effort to invest in a high end setup (such as the video above, which is also the setup we essentially use). Unless you are committed to a longer term adventure. 

Also keep in mind, National Parks are not known for having much connectivity. 

Here's our specific guide to your scenario - Part Time / High Bandwidth Needs

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

I volunteer in National Parks and most have very week cell signal or none at all in the camp grounds. Often you must park in the Visitor Center parking lot to even get any signal at all. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

With your advice I bought the full timer combo which is peplink max br1 mk2 and poynting 5 antenna .

It serves me as a  house WiFi with at&t 100Gb prepaid plan. For a single guy it’s a decent internet connection.

The amount of settings on the router is staggering but I am happy I got it. 

I also got weboost drive sleek booster with OTR antenna and directional antenna. 

I would like to have pretty good internet on the highway for my girlfriend to be able to work remotely and when in national parks at least be able to check email. 

this forum is really awesome. 

Thank you for replies 

I am getting 10-20 Mbps (sometimes 5) of download and 5 Mbps of upload in brooklyn NY. I went on a roof of the building with the equipment and that didn’t improve the speed. My cell tower is 2 blocks away but facing a different direction . 
how much speed is ‘normal’?