Where lives the slide relay?

This is really a multi question post.

First, where does the relay for the slide live in a 97 bounder? I know it has a relay because I found one in a box labeled "slide out relay"

My issue is when I push the out button I get nothing and I am trying to chase down why. I have a control center right in the front that has a relay wired in, it also has two separate relay boxes and, of course, not a single one is labeled.

Next question. What is SKP#? Trying to complete my profile. It says I am 50% done When I click next it takes me back to where ever I was with nothing changed. I would like to complete a signature line in here so I don't have to put 97 bounder each time.

Last question, how do I get to the signature page, or is there one?

TIA

1 hour ago, BobandBarb said:

Next question. What is SKP#?

The SKP# is an identifying number that is assigned when one joins the RV club. Until one joins the club they do not have one and that is the reason that not all members of the forum have one.

I'm afraid that I can't help with the relay location, as I have never had occasion to deal with one. While we wait for others to respond I'll see what I can find out from friends who own or have owned Bounders. 

EDIT: I just heard from a former 98 Bounder owner who said that he believes the slide relay was with several other coach relays in the engine compartment.

Edited by Kirk W
Add Info

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Any chance this is it? Judging by the non standard terminals, I would bet someone hacked this in.

I did some hard looking and one thing I noticed is that there are scratches on the center lug, almost like there was a wire attached there.

So I took out the  test light and everything is hot except 87. Even the one in the center, which I thought was for an indicator light, like if the relay was used for fog lights or something.

I took the box that had the slide out relay in it and got a new one, just trying to figure out where it goes. The relay in the picture should only have one constant hot lug, iirc. Straight hot from the battery. It has been jumpered over to the switched hot so that's two legs. The next leg 85 should be ground, but it is hot too, which can't be good... Then there is lug 87 which should be the work, but it's dead. Mot interesting of all, when I run my test light to 85, the one that should be ground, I can hear the relay click. Which really sounds like it isn't wired right, but IDK what it is supposed to do...

Either way, am I looking for the slide relay in the right place?

Last the terminal in the center of the new relay is labeled 87Q. On the schematic printed on the side of the relay it is marked 87a, which is...inconsistent.

image_16860673.JPG

image_16877569.JPG

It is difficult to know what the relay if for, but with what Pete found we should be able to determine if it is working. Based on the information Pete found we can draw some conclusions.

13 hours ago, BobandBarb said:

So I took out the  test light and everything is hot except 87. Even the one in the center, which I thought was for an indicator light, like if the relay

If there is 12V applied to 30/51 and not to 87, that indicates that the contacts of the relay are now open. Since terminals 85 & 86 are the trigger pins the click when you put your test light on 85 is probably the relay closing. That my well be normal as relay can be controlled by supplying and removing either the 12V or the ground. I suspect that if you were to use a jumper between ground and 85 you could then use your test light and find that 87 would now have power. In that case the relay should activate whatever it is intended to operate. Before doing this test you probably should remove the lead from 87 so that you can test first without concern for what is happening when it sends power where it is intended to. 

13 hours ago, BobandBarb said:

The relay in the picture should only have one constant hot lug, iirc. Straight hot from the battery. It has been jumpered over to the switched hot so that's two legs.

That jumper may be original to the circuit if the ground side is being used for control. It is not uncommon in RVs for control to be on the round line with power there all of the time. If you determine that the relay is working properly, you then need to trace the lead from 85 back to see what is controlling the relay. If it is the slide relay there could be a broken wire between the relay and the slide switch to cause this problem. Of course we still do not know what 87 will send power to if the relay is closed, so that wire also should be traced. 

Edited by Kirk W
correct typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI