New Hampshire to South Dakota and Yellowstone

wtmtnhiker

Hi All,
I have reservations at Grizzly RV Park for June 5th. Google maps showing the most direct route being I-90. I'm hoping for a few suggestions for a few must see stops along I-90 prior to getting to South Dakota. Time is not an issue but I'm thinking of giving the entire trip six weeks or so. Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore, Grand Tetons, Little Big Horn is on my list but I'm in the planning stage for all else.
       Also to those of you who are out there traveling now or recently would you advise booking my campground stays in advance? I've heard that the campgrounds are very crowded these days especially weekends. We took a trip back in 2010, stayed out 6 months and never made a reservation and never planned much more than 2 days out. It was mostly the deep south and southwest. I guess things have changed? One of the conundrums I have is not being able to stop an extra day here or there if you find an interesting place because the reservations lock you in to being at a certain place on a certain day. I'm thinking of only making reservations in the busiest places like Custer S.P. Yellowstone, Niagara Falls etc and taking my chances that I'll find a spot to camp otherwise along my route. I'd like to get your thoughts on that. When we headed out in 2010 we never planned more than 2 days out and never had a problem.

Garry
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500

The reservation issue is one that I too am somewhat concerned about as I have never made reservations as a routine part of travel, but it has now been a little more than a year so.............   I would plan on at least 2 days for the Niagara area. Traveling on to the west, there are hundreds of things one could see if time allowed so I'll try to offer just some highlights. I would plan to make and early stop to spend some time along Lake Erie. The RV Hall of Fame is worth some time when near to Elkhart. Chicago also has a lot to see, but not being a city person, I'll leave that area to others. Others will probably have some suggestions for the Wisconsin Dells as well. I would plan a stop at Sioux Falls, SD and plan to spend several hours or a day. It is an interesting area. Minuteman Missile Natl. Historic site is just off of I90. Wall Drug is another of those spots that you should probably see once, since you will pass right by it. In addition, Badlands National Park is just a short distance to the south. Rapid City is an interesting city with statues of presidents at every corner in the downtown are. You could easily spend a week or more in the area of Keystone, Mt. Rushmore, Hill City, Custer, Custer State Park, Wind Cave NP, Jewel Cave NM, Crazy Horse Memorial, and a long list of others. Once you return to I-90, plan to make a stop at our first National Monument, Devil's Tower in WY. It can be easily seen in a day and there is camping on the grounds. At Buffalo, WY plan to leave I-90 and follow US16 through the Bighorn Mountains. If you have some time to spare, at Worland drop south on US20 to spend a day in Thermopolis and while there take the truck for a quick ride through the Wind River Canyon. Next take US14 into Cody and visit the Buffalo Bill Center as well as other attractions there. Next stop, Yellowstone NP!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

While in the Wisconsin Dells area, visit the circus museum in Baraboo. It's a fun stop that's different from any other place along your route. https://www.circusworldbaraboo.org

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

I like Kirk's routing and stop suggestions. But,  if you can (passport required) cross after Niagara to Canada and return to the states at Port Huron. Go north to the ,Mackinaw Bridge and then US 2. This avoids getting around Chicago area and the tolls from NY through to Wisconsin. And it's a much nicer ride. A caution note verify your toll costs before you get surprised.  Most toll rates have increased this year.

Yes to Thermopolis and Cody.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg