Tried to run out slider now coach is dead dead

97 Bounder Ez Slide.

Found the user manual for the slide. Read it several times. It says drop the levelers and set the parking brake. It says nothing about having the engine running or not. I tried to run the slide out with the engine off. No movement. I started it up and tried to run the slide out and the whole coach shut off and is dead.

I have checked all the fuses I can find. I found the reset switches on the breakers and have reset them.

I am absolutely freaked out that this is going to cost me a grip to fix. This is my first adventure in RVing and everything is new and scary. I haven't even taken it out yet and I broke it...

Can someone help me puzzle this out?

It sounds like you have either a bad connection to the house batteries, chassis batteries or they are bad. The slides are generally moved with the coach running. 

Do you have the coach plugged in on shore power? If so did the breaker in the house trip??

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

1 minute ago, Ranger Smith said:

It sounds like you have either a bad connection to the house batteries, chassis batteries or they are bad. The slides are generally moved with the coach running. 

Do you have the coach plugged in on shore power? If so did the breaker in the house trip??

I am not on shore power. I put two brand new 80 AH batteries in it yesterday. The third battery is not new but has about 3 of 5 years warranty left. Where is the house breaker for the slide?

Just because there is a warranty left on the battery does not mean it is good. If it is partially bad it will create havoc with the 2 new ones. The slide is run off of the 12 volt system and generally has a resettable circuit breaker or a fuse. Some slides are electric and some are hydraulic.

Edited by Ranger Smith

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Here is a copy of a manual that may help.     

Fleetwoood Slideout Systems Operations Manual

In addition I was able to locate this Power Gear Slideout Service Manual

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean when you say "the whole coach shut off." The engine still runs, I assume? Did you lose all 12V power and so have no interior lights, water pump, or other appliances? Do you have a volt/ohm meter that you can use to trace voltages? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just read the latest from your first post about the slide problems.

So, it has two hydraulic rams, one on each side. I checked the reservoir and it seems to be full. When I run it in, I can hear the pump motor spin up. Trying to run it out All I get is a back up alarm. I imagine it is a warning to people outside? The motor doesn't spin up or anything. I have tried it with the engine running and the engine off. It has a keyed main switch and a rocker right next to it. I dd crawl under it to inspect it and check he fluid. It has two 6? gauge wires running from the motor back to a control unit.  One was a little loose so I snugged it up. I am a little afraid to open the control box underneath as IDK what I am doing with it,or what to expect to find in it.

That would indicate that you do not have a slide by Power Gear, as what I found indicated. This seems to indicate that yours is hydraulic, so the next question is, what manufacturer? Might the system be called EZ GLIDE ?

Edited by Kirk W

23 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Here is a copy of a manual that may help.     

Fleetwoood Slideout Systems Operations Manual

In addition I was able to locate this Power Gear Slideout Service Manual

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean when you say "the whole coach shut off." The engine still runs, I assume? Did you lose all 12V power and so have no interior lights, water pump, or other appliances? Do you have a volt/ohm meter that you can use to trace voltages? 

Turns out I hadn't cleaned the battery terminals well enough. After putting new ones on it the coach fires right up but the room still doesn't slide.

I can hear the motor spin up when I hit the in button, but all I get is beeping when I hit the out button. I did find the operating instructions for the room. Turn the key and push the button shouldn't need a heck of a lot of explanation.

Having a 25 year old RV is kind of freaking me out. Anything goes wrong with it and I have to Figure it out. (edited at the request of the moderator. I am having a real hard time believing the greatest generation would be offended by a little colorful language)  One would think someone with both mechanical skills and construction experience would be the perfect person to fix stuff. I wish I was an aircraft engineer instead.

Edited by BobandBarb
moderator request

30 minutes ago, BobandBarb said:

I wish I was an aircraft engineer instead.

As a career electrical/mechanical tech I assure you that most engineers are better at design than they are at troubleshooting. As a senior tech with my previous employer I was often involved in the early introduction of new products where I worked closely with the engineers. I used to tell them that we techs don't design anything we just make the stuff you design work, in spite of the way that it was designed. Let me assure you that RVs are excellent examples of that theory.