Another Tesla fire

Kirk W

6 hours ago, Big Rick said:

Possibly driverless!

Thanks Big Rick. Here is just one of many news links referring to the possible driverless $80,000 Tesla crash. If true then you can't cure stupid and this nation is full of idiots with many of them owning self drive cars in the future.  This was all predictable due to American culture.  

Those large batteries burn for a long time and create extra hazards to firefighters according to an old news report I read last year and if interested in this subject  one can do an easy to use Google search for the link/s on the extra hazards. Google search is your friend.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/no-one-may-have-been-in-drivers-seat-in-tesla-crash-that-killed-2-near-houston-11618783398 

Cheers to some.

Retired Acct & SEC CFP & Former Texas legislative Aide and Pilot to Two Texas Governors with four Honorable Active Army, Guard and Reserves Discharges.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

U9WkzVvm.pngZDvkZ6Vm.jpg

YYv0yMcm.jpgIbwjb6Om.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

They did not pay for the Autonomous full self driving. They had autopilot only, just like I have, according to the story. That idjit was showing off to his buddy. With autopilot it will hold the center of the lane and not hit anything in front. But the car will bail if it feels it can't handle, and it says to take over and goes off autopilot. This can be disconcerting driving safely in the driver seat, but he was in the passenger seat and his buddy in the back, no one was driving and they impacted a tree at high speed. Stupid stupid stupid. Even the autonomous upgrade is still in beta. The Autopilot is not self driving just self steering and collision avoidance. Fires happen much more often in gas vehicles than BEVs. But as self driving becomes perfected even the gas cars will have it, and we'll see stupidity equivalent to the tragic wreck Paul Walker died in when the Porsche he was a passenger in went out of control, impacted a tree and caught fire in a fireball. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=paul+walker+crash&qpvt=paul+walker+crash&form=IQFRML&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

That idjit was showing off to his buddy.

That is probably a common thread in many accidents with pretty much any sort of vehicle, car, truck, boat, airplane, or even bicycle. 

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

They had autopilot only, just like I have, according to the story.

Is the autopilot a standard feature of the Tesla? Some of those features are showing up in even the lower cost automobile markets nowadays. My 2019 VW isn't fully loaded, yet it has automatic braking if you follow too closely. Several vehicles now have line following and reactive cruise control that will adjust your speed to the car ahead. And the trucking industry is moving in that direction as well.

Driverless Trucks Are Already on Texas Roads

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Well said hemsteadc.  Sounds like a safety winner to me and I see a hybrid in my future as they have both big battery and gas tank for safety backup. Glad I am non smoker for health reasons, etc. Cheers to some.

P.S. As I am a Tesla fan maybe RV can tell me how many EVs and hybrids are on the U.S. roads today?

https://www.facebook.com/Pilot-Bill-Perkins-Exotic-Living-in-Far-East-SE-Asia-and-ME-1425108021122523

227-capt-perkins-with-bell-212-evergreen-in-tokyo(1).jpg.b468bf06502d48667aa55538e78bedef.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

On 4/19/2021 at 9:45 AM, hemsteadc said:

See previous comment

On 4/19/2021 at 9:45 AM, hemsteadc said:

'm sure if the public can accept carrying around a tub full of gasoline it can accept a battery.

I crawled inside of wrecked autos leaking fuel to extract injured drivers as a volunteer young emergency ambulance attendant in the 60s and can empathize with extra hazards facing firefighters in present day auto fire situations.

We HS and JC students saved a lot of lives in a 4 year period and often arrived on scene before police or fire personnel.  We were fast with new modern V8 ambulances and only one minor fender bender on icy roads in central Texas.  Most of us were sent to Nam after this as medics or in my case Army medevac pilot and one was KIA in 69 with two of us receiving PHs in 69 and 70.

William Perkins | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1734514206850757&type=3

RGbMYCSm.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/William-C-Perkins-Former-Army-Medevac-and-UN-Civilian-Rescue-pilot-367760116681163

Me young, stupid and very lucky to the terrible dismay of some.  TTB SSAT

P.S. Note this comment and photo is related to the topic under discussion via advice.

Edited by NamMedevac 70

On 4/19/2021 at 5:53 AM, Kirk W said:

That is probably a common thread in many accidents with pretty much any sort of vehicle, car, truck, boat, airplane, or even bicycle. 

Is the autopilot a standard feature of the Tesla? Some of those features are showing up in even the lower cost automobile markets nowadays. My 2019 VW isn't fully loaded, yet it has automatic braking if you follow too closely. Several vehicles now have line following and reactive cruise control that will adjust your speed to the car ahead. And the trucking industry is moving in that direction as well.

Driverless Trucks Are Already on Texas Roads

Autopilot is standard on all Tesla vehicles since mid 2019. Autopilot can do much better lane keeping than my Subaru's Eyesight" system. The Subaru stops great in case of a sudden stop in front of me but the Tesla is better. IT has been updated to see stoplights and they display on the screen as well as the traffic in front, sides, and behind me. I can turn my rear camera on while driving forward at any speed. It also gives side and back views when backing up.

Autopilot works amazingly well for lane keeping on divided highways as well as in town. As well as it does slowing and stopping and then holding in traffic. I engage it by down once for adaptive Cruise and twice for lane keeping.

Our Subaru will do a gentle push back into my lane as a warning, but if I take my hands off the wheel it bounces back and forth slowly until it breaks free and if I was sleeping end up in the ditch. Not with the Tesla. The Subaru would slow down a bunch when someone makes a right turn or left in front of me but will stop occasionally when I pass them as if it thinks it is still in the way.

The Tesla made me aware that I tend to drive closer to one side of the lane and it took some getting used to to let it nail me in the middle of my lane.

Here is the official owner's info sheet from Tesla on Autopilot and self driving. I have not paid for full self driving as it is in beta yet. I love my autopilot in stop and go traffic. However in 55 mph traffic in town if I come up to a light with cars stopped it takes about 50 feet more then I do to start slowing down.

Both the Subaru and the Tesla gave me scares when I first started letting them stop in traffic. The dang Subaru shuts the engine down at lights which requires pushing up on the cruise Control set switch. Down for selecting that speed to use, and push up to resume. My Tesla slowed scary at first when I was not used to it. One of the updates changed that and it now stops as I would slowing a bit earlier, and more gradually than before.

I doubt I will ever need to replace the brakes as I rarely use them. Just taking my foot off the pedal causes it to go into regenerative braking and adds a bit of electric to the batteries. I can set regenerative braking to very hard medium and hardly at all. I like medium but with medium or hard you learn to ease off the gas pedal instead of just switching my foot to the brake.

Tesla's article on Auto pilot and Full self driving characteristics.

https://www.tesla.com/support/autopilot?redirect=no

Did I mention I love my Tesla?

Oh almost forgot. This brouhaha I read about the screen being distracting is just not true. I am tall and my cars require me to look under or over the steering wheel. Yes we learn, but the screen is not under anything. And my hands on  the wheel do not block my vision. And the large screen makes navigation awesome. (Nav is standard as are heated seats, premium leather, the glass roof all the way back, connectivity and Netflix etc as well as their own streaming music channels that are really well curated. I just listen to classic rock. The volume and mic buttons are on the steering wheel.

Kirk, all I can say is that lots of folks ask questions but here it seems most refuse to take a test drive. Not because I want them to buy one. I may sell it and try one of the competitors if one proves out after a year on the market here and being driven. I kind of like that E Mustang and several others. But we already agreed to get the Model 2 for $25k or less if it comes with AWD two motor and longer range like our Model Y. It won't get the 326mi range the Y has, but I am good with 275 or so.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 4/19/2021 at 10:45 AM, hemsteadc said:

I'm sure if the public can accept carrying around a tub full of gasoline it can accept a battery.

Well put bud!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

My VW shuts off the engine when we sit at a traffic light or such, and like you that took a little getting used to. I seem to remember that we used to be told that starting an engine burned as much fuel as several miles of travel? I wonder if they have made starting more fuel efficient or was that never true? 

One of my sons drove the model S of a friend and he was very impressed. Given the opportunity I would test drive one but at this point in my life I'm really not in the market for one for several reasons. I have no doubt that electric cars will continue to make inroads into the market, no matter what happens in the petroleum market. I too would like to test drive the Mustang Mach E. 

I have driven several hybrids that were impressive and especially enjoyed my friend's Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve. It has all of the GM lane following and such as well as heated, cooled, and massaging front seats! I have a good friend who has a Chevy Bolt that he is really happy with. Says he has to be careful not to let the gas get stale in the tank when staying close to home for covid. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

21 hours ago, NamMedevac 70 said:

As I am a Tesla fan maybe RV can tell me how many EVs and hybrids are on the U.S. roads today?

I googled how Many electric cars in the US got this. How Many Electric cars? China has double that already.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Kirk,

Dealers, Tesla included, love people test driving as even if you aren't buying you will be able to tell what you thought of the speed power or lack. My son has paid ~ $250 bucks to rent supercars for however long. Lambos, Ferrari, etc. I can't recall which others he's rented/drove other than those 2.

I test drive cars every year when available. I drove a Leaf, and a Mitsubishi MiEV tiny BEV and the Tesla Model S, long before I bought my Tesla. Those were (battery EVs )BEVs like my Tesla. The Leaf was not fast nor got great range. The MiEV was peppy for its size but was even slower then the Leaf.

There is no comparison between a BEV (Battery only car) and a PHEV (Hybrid). Let me know if you finally test drive a performance BEV, Tesla, Mustang whatever. Then if I was right about no comparison. BTW when you test drive the Tesla guys, see if they have the fastest Tesla, do that even if you have to wait a week for your appointment.

I still have less than 1500 miles on the Tesla. I bought it ~ 9 months ago, 17 June 2020.

When it snows we use the Subaru so as not to get salt all under the Tesla. The Pandemic also curtailed trips and exploring people places. Thus using the Subaru in foul weather means even less Tesla driving.  I did have the front end and rear mirrors wrapped with clear protective film so sand/gravel/small rocks can't mar the paint.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Lets see China has about one billion people and USA about 300 million.  Still a ways to go.  Wikipedia will have a more accurate count and Google search will reveal Wikipedia.  Link not required.

Cheers to some but not all.  MMHBA  TFYC

https://www.facebook.com/william.perkins.79274

Edited by NamMedevac 70

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

My VW shuts off the engine when we sit at a traffic light or such, and like you that took a little getting used to. I seem to remember that we used to be told that starting an engine burned as much fuel as several miles of travel? I wonder if they have made starting more fuel efficient or was that never true? 

One of my sons drove the model S of a friend and he was very impressed. Given the opportunity I would test drive one but at this point in my life I'm really not in the market for one for several reasons. I have no doubt that electric cars will continue to make inroads into the market, no matter what happens in the petroleum market. I too would like to test drive the Mustang Mach E. 

I have driven several hybrids that were impressive and especially enjoyed my friend's Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve. It has all of the GM lane following and such as well as heated, cooled, and massaging front seats! I have a good friend who has a Chevy Bolt that he is really happy with. Says he has to be careful not to let the gas get stale in the tank when staying close to home for covid. 

When we were still using carburetors, starting the engine would activate the accelerator pump, which would squirt an ounce or two into the throat. Modern fuel injection uses computers to precisely meter the exact amount needed for starting, saving a decent amount of fuel. So, it uses less to restart now than in the past. Jay

as to shutting off the motor, there is more to it than trying to save at most a tea spoon of fuel at that very long red light.

as in driver / passenger safety. in extreme heat or clod, not very good to keep turning off the motor, and then the motor is harmed by this, as while running the motor gets full oil supply, turn it on / off all the time things move with out correct lub in critical areas. the most dangers thing one can do to a motor (under normal conditions) is to start it.

then how long till the electric starter motor fails? true one can get decades out of one.. under normal conditions. but having to restart 20 times a day will burn them out. ( a starter fail can be the contacts, armature, drive gear, ring gears on the flywheel, etc).

nothing can replace the human brain, in a competent driver, far to many things to program into a computer, usually by someone who might not even drive to work. or drives under 1000 miles a month.

Hybrid vehicles shut off the ICE power for more than just long stops, and those "teaspoons" of fuel saved do add up over time. As for starting and stopping, the stops are too short for modern oils to drain down and be an issue in modern engines. The engineers do know what they're doing when they design them. And starter motor failure is also a non-issue since hybrids use the same motor/generator to start the ICE that is used to propel the vehicle in battery mode.

When it comes to the human brain and driving, note that the most common cause of vehicle accidents is distracted driving. Dedicated computers do not get distracted...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

20 hours ago, packnrat said:

as to shutting off the motor, there is more to it than trying to save at most a tea spoon of fuel at that very long red light.

as in driver / passenger safety. in extreme heat or clod, not very good to keep turning off the motor, and then the motor is harmed by this, as while running the motor gets full oil supply, turn it on / off all the time things move with out correct lub in critical areas. the most dangers thing one can do to a motor (under normal conditions) is to start it.

then how long till the electric starter motor fails? true one can get decades out of one.. under normal conditions. but having to restart 20 times a day will burn them out. ( a starter fail can be the contacts, armature, drive gear, ring gears on the flywheel, etc).

nothing can replace the human brain, in a competent driver, far to many things to program into a computer, usually by someone who might not even drive to work. or drives under 1000 miles a month.

In the latest software update for my 2020 Subaru Outback, the auto On/Off function disable was moved to the home screen.  Even though it still comes up as the default, it is easily defeated.   IMHO it is about as useless as the feature on my 1975 Volvo which required that the seat belt be buckled in order to start the engine.  That, also, was dispensed with after less than a year!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

On 4/29/2021 at 6:24 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

Hybrid vehicles shut off the ICE power for more than just long stops, and those "teaspoons" of fuel saved do add up over time. As for starting and stopping, the stops are too short for modern oils to drain down and be an issue in modern engines. The engineers do know what they're doing when they design them. And starter motor failure is also a non-issue since hybrids use the same motor/generator to start the ICE that is used to propel the vehicle in battery mode.

When it comes to the human brain and driving, note that the most common cause of vehicle accidents is distracted driving. Dedicated computers do not get distracted...

right...sure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/business/tesla-fatal-crash-texas.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/23/business/teslas-autopilot-safety-investigations.html

https://apnews.com/article/ca5e62255bb87bf1b151f9bf075aaadf

and more tesla does its best to hide the facts of how much fail there is, heck even the lane drift in the trucks at work go off in corners.

39 minutes ago, packnrat said:

right...sure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/business/tesla-fatal-crash-texas.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/23/business/teslas-autopilot-safety-investigations.html

https://apnews.com/article/ca5e62255bb87bf1b151f9bf075aaadf

and more tesla does its best to hide the facts of how much fail there is, heck even the lane drift in the trucks at work go off in corners.

Tesla doesn't make a completely autonomous Level 5 driving system, just a series of driver "aids" that still require human intervention. And human idiocy when driving is still rampant as shown in your first link...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system