Oil Change?

aunut

On 4/22/2021 at 8:52 AM, mptjelgin said:

It varies by vehicle.  The gasoline engine cars and trucks that I've owned base it solely on miles. However, from the manual of my 2019 Superduty:

Diesel Engine Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor - Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time. This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display. The following table provides examples of vehicle use and its impact on oil change intervals. It is a guideline only. Actual oil change intervals depend on several factors and generally decrease with severity of use.

I have seen my mileage between "Change Oil Soon" messages vary considerably based on how the truck is being used. As little as 6k when towing extensively and as much as 9.5k when not. 

GM uses a oil monitor system that is based on engine revolutions and time, the system does not have any oil testing capabilities. At any time a person can reset the oil life monitor back to 100% and the system will start the count down over again, even without actually changing out the old oil. A lab test is needed for a true oil analysis.

The operator needs to know what conditions the vehicle is operating in and to adjust the oil changes according. My truck is pulling heavy loads, so I change the oil at the 50% oil monitor level. I would do the same frequency if my truck were operated in a dusty environment or city type driving. Read you vehicle operators manual for oil changing parameters.

Edited by gjhunter01

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/22/2021 at 7:35 PM, JimK said:

Or they have to prove I did not.

Ok then, tell us how that works out for you. 

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-