Stock exhaust system woes..............

mr. cob

Howdy All,

If I drove a Volvo, I wouldn't have this problem, trying to find a "STOCK" replacement exhaust system for a Peterbilt 379, is next to impossible.  I swear I have spent many HOURS on line looking for a stock 5 inch diameter exhaust system and have come up with nothing, 6", 7", 8", 10" can be had darn near anywhere.  I finally gave in and checked with the local Pete, shop, yes I was sitting down and I still nearly passed out when they quoted me a price on the stock 5 inch system.  On the quote there were no part numbers, just said system so you can't cross reference anything.  The price included a 275 dollar hazardous waste disposal fee and 300 dollars in shop fee's.  I was not aware that rusted out steel pipe was hazardous waste nor that shop rags, a cut off disk and maybe a bit of oxy-acteline  gas were in such short supply as to command these kind of prices.  Oh well if your gonna run with the big dogs I guess it comes at a price, there goes my chicken lights and chrome budget.  ☹️

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I feel you Dave.  In my contracting business I am asked to provide hard money bids for jobs.  Then when I order materials, well, there comes all those upcharges.  Fuel surcharge, delivery charge, and a few others.  And then dont forget the taxes, different in each county.  Oh boy, there goes the profit.  I've ordered concrete, like 2 yards of it for a small job.  The per yard costs were quoted at >$100 but the final invoice amount was close to $600, for 2 yards.  And then I am required to maintain $5Million in liability insurance, and I work alone but am required to maintain $1Million in workers comp insurance and $1Million in commercial vehicle insurance.  All told, that adds up to about $1000 a month in premiums and all because those are required as cost of doing business, which I have no choice but to pass it on to my customers, who ask me why the price is so high, and then I take the time to explain.  Most of my customers work for corporations and they are not given access to all those same charges that their company charges their customers so they dont know about all that.  They are quite surprised.

The moral of this story is many of the charges you got quoted might be required for the business and they call them out separately so that you will know that they arent making that money, but are required to charge them and then pay the entity that is requiring it or they are out of business.  Sucks but it appears to be common all over.

Sorry about the chicken lights and chrome.

Marcel

And I'll add 4statetrucks.com to the list.

5" is available.  But honestly, Dave, isn't this the best time to upgrade to an 8" system?!  😁

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

41 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

I feel you Dave.  In my contracting business I am asked to provide hard money bids for jobs.  Then when I order materials, well, there comes all those upcharges.  Fuel surcharge, delivery charge, and a few others.  And then dont forget the taxes, different in each county.  Oh boy, there goes the profit.  I've ordered concrete, like 2 yards of it for a small job.  The per yard costs were quoted at >$100 but the final invoice amount was close to $600, for 2 yards.  And then I am required to maintain $5Million in liability insurance, and I work alone but am required to maintain $1Million in workers comp insurance and $1Million in commercial vehicle insurance.  All told, that adds up to about $1000 a month in premiums and all because those are required as cost of doing business, which I have no choice but to pass it on to my customers, who ask me why the price is so high, and then I take the time to explain.  Most of my customers work for corporations and they are not given access to all those same charges that their company charges their customers so they dont know about all that.  They are quite surprised.

The moral of this story is many of the charges you got quoted might be required for the business and they call them out separately so that you will know that they arent making that money, but are required to charge them and then pay the entity that is requiring it or they are out of business.  Sucks but it appears to be common all over.

Sorry about the chicken lights and chrome.

Howdy rpsinc,

I understand what your saying and honestly pity anyone who is in business who is trying to make a profit without ripping off their customers.  I would wager that much of this is dictated by government and not by the person providing the service, such is life in the land of the free.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

37 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Truckpipesusa.com

Steertech.com

And of course, Rainey's.

Howdy Darryl,

I have looked at all those places, can't find what I want, I guess I'll have to make some calls and see if I can get to a human being rather then a recording or some on line chat robot as "I" am getting nowhere on my own.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 minutes ago, spindrift said:

And I'll add 4statetrucks.com to the list.

5" is available.  But honestly, Dave, isn't this the best time to upgrade to an 8" system?!  😁

Howdy spindrift,

There are some of the "super trucker" things that I really like, for example when I ordered new seats for the Pete, I went with the LOW seat mounts, I don't care what anyone says or thinks the low mounts make the ride so much more comfortable, when I am in traffic I raise them up to where I can see over the "Hood" when I am droning down the interstate I drop them down to where my legs are MUCH more comfortable. 

Don't need or want an extended shifter, and the monster pipes to me just look so out of place.  I bought the type of truck I now drive because I LOVE the "look" of a classic truck, to me running those huge sewer pipes makes the truck look like something out of a cartoon and are only used by the guy who is so impressed with himself he wants to make sure everyone else notices "HIM". 

I am way to darned old to be cool, to set in my ways to change, and could really in most cases care less, I just want it "my way."

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I've been trying to remember who's catalog I used when we converted from a stack to under bed exhaust. Drawing a blank, but it was similar to the Ryker catalog above. It might have been Walker or DynaFlo, but don't quote me.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.