New here! A few questions

Jiuchessu

Yep there have been big changes in the last few months, and the difference if you read Agesilaus' post again is anyone with a VA card AND a disability can use them.

If you do qualify, the VA and/or the DOD will issue the appropriate ID but usually the vet has to initiate the request for a military ID.

"Veterans with service-connected disabilities (VA documented disability rating) "

And

"Honorably discharged veterans are not authorized, unless they meet the additional criteria listed above."

I too am 30% disabled and all service connected with another ten or so VA listed service connected disabilities that are not paid but in my VA record and all service connected so I don't tend to read the fine print either. Here is a great link with all the fine print:

https://militarybenefits.info/military-campgrounds/

Retiree Tricare For Life covers more without co pays so I rarely use the VA. But I would rather than pay the 450 a month we pay into Medicare monthly.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You do not get a special Military ID, they just put a second line under your photo that says: Service Connected.

That also gets you a 10% discount at Lowes and Home Depot plus other discounts.In Florida, it will get you a permanent free pass to Florida State Parks (entry not camping) if you are a FL resident. FL puts a notation on your DL too if your request it.

Agesilaus, that's why I supply the links, so all can read the fine print. DOD Cards are issued to some disabled Vets who are not retirees:

"How do Eligible Veterans get an Identification Card to access the campgrounds?

To access the installation, veterans eligible solely under the Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018, who have been issued a Veteran Health Identification Card from VA can present their VHIC to gain entry. The VHIC must display the veteran’s eligibility status (i.e., purple heart, former POW, service connected disability). Upon the first visit to the installation, eligible veterans must present their VHIC at the visitor control center.

Military retirees, Medal of Honor recipients, veterans with a 100% disability rating, and veterans with a 100% unemployability rating due to a service-connected condition and their dependents are eligible to obtain DoD identification cards and are eligible for broader privileges than veterans who are eligible for access solely under Section 1065 of Title 10, United States Code."

Source: https://militarybenefits.info/military-campgrounds/

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, agesilaus said:

You do not get a special Military ID, they just put a second line under your photo that says: Service Connected.

As I said above, in my post:

"If you do qualify, the VA and/or the DOD will issue the appropriate ID but usually the vet has to initiate the request for a military ID. "

Sheesh guy or girl (agesilaus) I agreed with you, and then you disagreed and corrected me with BS? I even gave you the link. It's there for all to read.

So once again, to get all the facts out to our fellow vets:

Some non-retiree vets, as specified above, may get a Military ID but I don't know who initiates it, the Vet, the VA or DOD.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Good info Bill, thanks.

Did you initiate the paperwork, or did the VA do the paperwork and send you there? I would think for the permanent DOD ID card they just told you and had the paperwork ready.

For the non-retirees the DEERS office is:

"Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) is a computerized database for United States Service members, military retirees, 100% VA Disabled Veterans, dependents, DoD active Contractors, and others worldwide who are entitled to Public Key Infrastructure and TRICARE eligibility."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Enrollment_Eligibility_Reporting_System#:~:text=Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) is a,entitled to Public Key Infrastructure and TRICARE eligibility.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Well I had one of the old VA cards that looked like an old time embossed credit card, smaller than a modern card. So when I was informed that those were no longer any good it took me maybe 4 or 5 months and 4 trips to the local VA hospital to get a new card. The photo machine was broken, the machine was OK but they did not have the current software, no one could find the machine operator. I finally went to the VA ombudsman and complained and she made some phone calls and I got a new card. I see it expires in 2024 and I hope the renewal goes more smoothly.

I never got any notice from the VA telling me to get a new card.

As most of you know the VA is not customer orientated or friendly. I went thru the same sort of thing with getting the jab, registered online, was supposed to get weekly notifications, never heard a word, and finally got the jab from the county not the VA after 6 or 7 weeks.

RV I made copies of the VA award letter confirming I am totally and permanent Disable Vet with no future exams scheduled. Also DEERS office then required a VA Commissary Letter stating the very same thing of my P&T status and authorizing me to use base PX/Commissary and MRWF recreation facility. In other words two different letters saying the same thing in essence.

I on my own took  these two letters plus current drivers license and other current government documents such as passport, DD 214/215 etc to the DEERS office as a walk in with no appointment.  Had to fill out a form and they take your photo. Waiting time about an hour or so with chairs for us to sit on. DOD military tan card is known as DD form 2765 and looks like a regular military ID except it is tan in color.  Google images will show this and other military cards on Google Search.

Besides active military bases non retired vets can now get their military tan ID cards from Guard and Reserve DEERS offices such as the Reno Army Reserve center in town close to the airport.  Appointments are now required.

Now disabled vets no longer need the DOD Form ID 2765 to gain access but must show at least a VA Health Care card showing them as service connected for any percentage of disability.  There is also a CAC (Common Access Card) that their dependents may need but I am not sure about dependent requirements or anything about this CAC card.

I still have my original VA serviced connected card with the purple triangle on front of card issued to me 1985.  Old memories.

Edited by NamMedevac 70

On 4/18/2021 at 12:49 PM, Jiuchessu said:

Are there lots like this? If so, how do I begging to look for them? what are they  called (if they have a specific name)?

Will/can the trailer be hooked up to plumbing? I would have to have to travel to empty it etc...

How much would a lot like this cost more or less?

To get back to the intent of this thread, yes there are RV parks like that and a good place to start looking is with Campground Reviews website and just plug in San Diego. Look for campgrounds that offer full hookups. Also try to find one with monthly rates as that will be much less than daily or weekly costs.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Wow! I don't think any of this is helping the OP on his topic.

All I said was to look at Jojoba Hills CoOp and said if he was military could go to fiddler's cove then Kirk said he probably isn't "assuming" and it went on from there.

We do have a group of sharpshooters here who email all their jealousies and then get on here, sharpshoot, thinking the good folks here don't know better. There are lots of good folks here.

I continue here for the friends I have and the folks that are concerned with helping the members.

And then complain that they don't read anything as if that changes the facts of any matter. I respect everyone first then demand it in return. There seems to be a few here who jump in to correct with incorrect information right in front of them then complain when the facts are patiently laid out.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 4/18/2021 at 12:43 PM, RV_ said:

However, Jojoba Hillls Escapees CoOp is equidistant to LA and Sand Diego roughly and you can lease a lot there. It is gorgeous and I hate desert locales. Here is their website. they have strorage there for members too. I would check them out and see if they meet your needs. https://jojobahills.com/cms/amenities/

That park is awesome, but there is a waiting list. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

OK back to square one. If he is a vet and can use base facilities Fiddler's cove has boat and RV storage but limited time in and out. But it is on Coronado Between San Diego Bay and the Pacific with just four lanes and some beach between it ad the Pacific ocean.

Jojoba hills has storage and I suggested he check in with them and lease rather than buy a lot because they have storage for owner/leasees. The links for both remain above.

If he is not an eligible vet the only place I saw was Jojoba hills CoOp and he can check in there for waiting lists if any. I haven't been there for ten years but it beat at that time the LA to San Diego traffic.

I went acreage hunting while in California on a job in 2000 for an Internet start up as OPs officer. We stayed at Maple Leaf RV park in Morgan Hill California https://www.mapleleafrvpark.com/  and even though the company was paying it was a grand a month back then and 100 or 200 a month for the phone and then a nickel a minute. Our offices were in  Santa Clara and nothing was closer. So I agree about the cost of a lot anywhere in California near big cities.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Rynosback I totally agree. I bought my Transfer Flow diesel tank with the switches pumps and indicator panel there for $150.00 and it worked perfectly. They were having their annual park-wide garage sale or whatever they called it.

The people at Jojoba were great and their lots when available to rent are first class. It is not close to SD but might be better than along I 8. Today I have no clue.

Hope that helps.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

2 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Rynosback I totally agree. I bought my Transfer Flow diesel tank with the switches pumps and indicator panel there for $150.00 and it worked perfectly. They were having their annual park-wide garage sale or whatever they called it.

The people at Jojoba were great and their lots when available to rent are first class. It is not close to SD but might be better than along I 8. Today I have no clue.

Hope that helps.

Helps? I have stayed there about 4 months over the past couple of years. Yes the sale is HUGE there. 

Anyone else know of a reasonable park near SD with storage? Or reasonable land there even for California?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Ryno we stayed there an extra day for the sale. I tried to see if I could buy a lot or acreage anywhere in the areas because our owner had an avocado farm in Temecula, but way too expensive an area for us. I was put out of my misery because the dotcom bubble burst in June? of that year, 2000, and we moved on, full timing again. To Travis AFB for some medical appointments at their FAMCamp. We got to know S. CA as well as N. CA that year.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 4/18/2021 at 8:16 PM, Kirk W said:

They do, but you still have waste tanks to deal with. I think that you would be wise to spend some time learning about RVs and RV parks before you spend your money. You should also look into requirements for tow vehicles and the weights that they can tow safely as well as the weights of the different RVs. 

^^^^^^^^^^ This is what he needs to do first. The hookup questions were answered as well a can be expected for someone yet to research the systems. Don't feel bad all of us were newbies once and there IS a lot to learn, as Kirk said, before buying.

Here's an example, this one is $3000.00 a month! https://www.campspot.com/book/chula-vista-rv-resort/search/2021-05-01/2021-05-31/guests0,0,2,0/list

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

14 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Anyone else know of a reasonable park near SD with storage? Or reasonable land there even for California?

It is CRAZY around San Diego. The park just up the street from jojoba Hills has a few people that Store there rig there. They said it is about the same price as buying a lot, paying the monthly dues and the rig is powered all the time. 

Yep Ryno, that is why I brought it up. We also stayed at Park Sierra but that is way too far north. We had to stay in San Diego every year because my mom had Alzheimer's, as I said, and died a few years after we started full timing. It was just a two week to a month stop on the way to Oregon and the Washington peninsula, and Canada/Alaska in 99, and usually a stop on the way back. Once mom was gone we took the much better 90 and 40 back to our winter Louisiana quarters. We both hated I-20 from El Paso to Bossier City LA.

That SD area is just outrageous in price and restrictions.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

All I said was to look at Jojoba Hills CoOp and said if he was military could go to fiddler's cove then Kirk said he probably isn't "assuming" and it went on from there.

We do have a group of sharpshooters here who email all their jealousies and then get on here, sharpshoot, thinking the good folks here don't know better. There are lots of good folks here.

I continue here for the friends I have and the folks that are concerned with helping the members.

And then complain that they don't read anything as if that changes the facts of any matter. I respect everyone first then demand it in return. There seems to be a few here who jump in to correct with incorrect information right in front of them then complain when the facts are patiently laid out.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.  You reprimanded me for mentioning Jojoba and giving a link for some answers and then there were 16 posts on military camps and regulations.  The question wasn't in the OP's post and I just thought we should get back to topic.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Reprimanded? No I Pointed out that I'd just posted the exact info just a few posts before, but now you're some kind of injured party? So if you want to answer have at it. What was missed?  We were on topic. It's all there. So here we are waiting for what you claim you were deprived of by several of us, your posts sir?

:rolleyes:

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

11 hours ago, RV_ said:

That SD area is just outrageous in price and restrictions.

I believe that pretty much all of California is like San Diego county, although it does vary how much. The most I have ever paid for an RV site was $76/night a bit north of Santa Cruz to visit Pam's brother about 10 years ago. Because she has family in Redlands we go there every couple of years and either stay at Yucaipa Regional Park($35/night) or if full we go to Mission RV Park($43/night). With the regional park which we prefer, we usually reserve at least 6 months ahead to get a spot. Even Jojoba Hills is not up to $35/night or $199/week. I doubt that there are any RV sites in the more settled parts of CA that most of us would not consider to be over priced. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI